PDA

View Full Version : Hawk vs Jamco

harr754
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
I currently have a 2 horse BP hawk that I love. It's a 96 or a 97 but it's in great shape. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2005 Customized Jamco 2-Horse Gooseneck Trailer. It's in really nice condition, only used for 2 years. It's extra wide and high. I know nothing about jamco, any experiences or suggestions?

Hilary
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:24 AM
Jamco makes some of the BEST horse trailers out there. The construction is totally different (rectangular tubes vs. sheet metal over a frame) and their floor supports are closer together than most trailers. I have a 1999 I bought used in 2003 and it still looks nearly new. I expect it to last a very very long time.

Very high quality trailer and if you can get a good deal on one, I'd say go for it.

When I bought mine I paid the same price I would have paid for a new Hawk/Gore/Equispirit but I'd do the same thing again. Do get it checked out of course.

DressageLin
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:55 AM
Definitely Jamco. It's also my understanding that Jamco is all alluminum and Hawk uses a steel frame with aluminum skin. The all alluminum will hold its resale value a bit better.

harr754
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
I've been trying to find prices of used Jamco's but I'm not having much luck. I'd also need to sell my Hawk which means I need to figure out how to price that too. The price of the Jamco I'm interested in is $14,000. (asking)

bathsheba8542
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
You have a PM...

airhorse
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:22 PM
Jamco, all others wither in comparison...

Tasker
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:05 AM
Jamco. It's the best.

Hawks are not of the same quality (having had Hawk, Trail-et, Kingston, 4 Star trailers).

FWIW - we sold our Hawk 2 +1 in less than 10 days on Horsetrailerworld.com , so that might be a starting point for pricing or selling your current trailer.

dotneko
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
Loved my jamco! I sold my 11 year old 4horse
head to head with dressing room for 75% of
what I bought it for :D It was a primo trailer -
solid and well built. Unfortunately, it is no
longer needed as Fabian and I are now homebodies.

judybigredpony
Mar. 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
Its not Apples to Apples..Jamco is higher off the ground..ramp not quite as easy as Hawke..is a heavier trailer to tow, bigger tires and beefier all round.

Yes I ADORE my Hawke and would get another in a NY minute...but if I could afford and tow a Jamco I would consider it.

You do have to go play with the trailer, pretend to load and unload, look at convience of latches where tie-up hooks are hay nets,lift ramps up and down by yourself.Price cost of replacing brakes and tires,tow weight empty and loaded. Where lights are and tackroom setup. You do have to live with it for a long time. I spent hours comparing Hawke, Jamco, 5-Star and one other higher end trailer before getting my last Hawke.

ryansgirl
Mar. 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
No question - Jamco would be my choice :yes:.

harr754
Mar. 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks everybody! I'm going to look at it tomorrow.

Heart's Journey
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
not even a close vote - Jamco wins hands down