PDA

View Full Version : Where to get tires for trailer? Trailer place? Tire shop?

WoofNWhinny*
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:53 AM
Should I take the trailer to a trailer sales/repairs place, a boat trailer place, or a tire shop for cars to get new tires?

Trailer currently has 14-inch tires on it. I need to double-check the tire number.

I've looked at the websites for a few trailer places, and most don't mention tires. One place that I called said that they handle it, but, they send it out to a tire place to do the actual tires. They're actually a bit far away so they suggested that I find someplace local to handle the tires and just bring the trailer to them for service. I should have asked about the tire place, but it didn't occur to me while I was on the phone with the guy. I don't know if it is a regular car tire shop, or some kind of specialty place (for trucks? commercial vehicles? :confused:).

Diamondindykin
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:00 AM
Our local tire shop sells tires for just about everything......cars, trucks, tractors, trailers....etc...

HorseShopping
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:20 AM
Got mine at Discount Tire. Great thing is I got a farrier's nail in one this week and it cost $15 to get a brand new tire - they have a great warranty program!

Just make sure you get tires that are rated for a horse trailer.

WoofNWhinny*
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
Hmmm. No Discount Tire around here. And NTB doesn't carry them. :sigh:

atlatl
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:06 AM
We bought new tires for the camper at Big O tires. They didn't stock them, but were happy to order and install them for us. Just ask whatever local tire dealer you have. CostCo might even get them for you.

marianne
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
A few years ago we had a blowout on a left rear tire on the interstate at 65 mph We found out that the tires for the trailer were boat tires and not the best for the trailer. We purchased the trailer used and I am a fanatic on maintenance. As that was very scary with a fully loaded trailer, we went with a light truck tire like for a Nissan Frontier or Ford ( the names escape me right now but the "tin can" models considering I drive a F-350) The F-350 was big and stable enough to control the trailer. A good tire is worth the money and this should not be a place to be cheap.

WoofNWhinny*
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
A few years ago we had a blowout on a left rear tire on the interstate at 65 mph We found out that the tires for the trailer were boat tires and not the best for the trailer. We purchased the trailer used and I am a fanatic on maintenance. As that was very scary with a fully loaded trailer, we went with a light truck tire like for a Nissan Frontier or Ford ( the names escape me right now but the "tin can" models considering I drive a F-350) The F-350 was big and stable enough to control the trailer. A good tire is worth the money and this should not be a place to be cheap.

I totally agree!! I'm just trying to figure out what the best tires to go with are and where to get them. I'm trying to find a tire place that has a location out near the barn, but I haven't found a tire company in that area that shows tires of the appropriate size on their website.

I left a message for a fellow boarder who has a trailer to ask where she gets hers, but I'm sure everyone's outside on a gorgeous day like today. :yes:

WildBlue
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
I've worked through both a local garage/tire shop and a place that sells RVs and travel trailers. I got much better service (and they really knew what I needed!) at the RV/trailer dealership.

E D
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
You do not want passenger car tires. I saw a brand new trailer going out the door of my nearby trailer dealer and it had passenger car tires all the way around on a 3 horse BP. I spoke to the trailer dealer about why a manufacturer would put passenger car tires on a trailer and he said that was the specs. Think about the load you are carrying in the trailer. Is it just your one horse or two or more? Do you pack for a weekend show with tack, hay, even water? then look at the ratings for a passenger car tire. You generally will need a heavier duty tire, either truck or a specific trailer tire rated for your needs. You are not going to wear out this kind of tire - you will more than likely have to replace it due to age or puncture.

WoofNWhinny*
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
I've worked through both a local garage/tire shop and a place that sells RVs and travel trailers. I got much better service (and they really knew what I needed!) at the RV/trailer dealership.

Oh, you are sooo right about service and knowledge levels on their products between trailer places and tire shops! :eek:

Why is it so hard to get info on tires from the tire places? I really feel like they don't know much and are blowing me off when I ask questions (BASIC questions!).

All told, I've called at least six places so far and am no closer to getting tires. :sigh:

This is a light-weight two-horse trailer. I don't know if the old tires on it are a good choice, or if I should upgrade for safety's sake. They are trailer tires (3-Ply sidewalls, 4-ply treads).

Listing is ST 205/75 on 14-inch rims. Max load is 1760lbs, 50 psi cold.

Trailer places I've called don't do tires, unless you get tire AND rims. I need four tires (maybe five, if the spare isn't good, I can't tell by looking at it). I don't *think* it needs new wheels....

The tire places just say that they have one brand of tire available that would fit, but don't seem to know much about the tires. Just that they're trailer tires and would fit a D14, so it would be take it or leave it.

NO passenger tires, check. Should I ask for a light-truck tire? Or go with a trailer tire?

Suggestions?

lily04
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.easternmarine.com/?gclid=CPb5wKXZ864CFUio4AodciDOKg

I bought mine here and had my mechanic put them on. I live less than 20 miles from here so I picked them up but they do ship them UPS. They go on sale often. Bonus is no sales tax in Delaware.