View Full Version : Barns in Raleigh/Apex area

Spunky Punky
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
I will be moving back to the area soon and am specifically looking for a barn within 30-40 minutes of Raleigh which will allow me to bring my own trainer. Good care, safe barn and a ring with jumps available are a necessity, private turnout and a covered arena would be even better. I've searched prior threads but haven't been able to find anything. Thank you for your help.

Mar. 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
I lease a horse out of Pleasant Green Farms in Hillsborough (http://www.pleasantgreenfarms.com/). I know they don't have any stalls open right now, but they may have space opening up this summer - you'd have to contact the owner, Laura, and find out. It's a really pretty little farm, but the barn is small (I think ten stalls). There's a nice ring with plenty of jumps; no covered arena though. Just a thought!

Mar. 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
When I was in the Raleigh area, I shopped at the tack shop at this barn: http://www.macnairscountryacres.com/boarderinfo.htm#Basic

It seemed pretty nice, although I don't know if the management would allow an outside trainer. The NC State team rides there.

Good Luck!

Mar. 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
OP, do you have a trainer in mind? I think they'd be the best source of info on barns. I don't know of any that have individual turn out and allow outside trainers.

Good luck and welcome back to the area. :)

Mar. 22, 2012, 09:24 AM
Pepperwood Farm in Fuquay-Varina has most of the things you listed, including the covered ring and they are open to outside trainers. MacNairs does not allow outside trainers though they have several on staff who are very qualified.

Mar. 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
I would ask on NC Horse News as well, you might find a smaller/private/unadvertised barn that will let you bring in an outside trainer. For the bigger boarding barns around here I think Pepperwood might be one of your best options, a lot of the big and medium sized H/J barns around here are owned and/or operated by the trainer and thus they don't allow outside ones to come in.

Mar. 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
http://www.pleasanthillfarmllc.com/ is a good one. I know the trainer there and she is very sweet. The facility looks nice as well. I'm not sure if they would allow outside trainers though.

Spunky Punky
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have heard about Pepperwood, unless I end up ditching my trainer looks like it will be my only choice. Sounds like a nice place but I have heard it is turning into more of a dressage barn. Guess I have some decisions to make, thanks again for the help!

Mar. 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
Pepperwood is both dressage and hunter/jumper, fear not it is not going to the dark side.

Mar. 22, 2012, 08:00 PM

UNC rides there.

BEAUTIFUL place. Over 850 acres.

Advanced Event rider Holly Hudspeth rides out of there and has her own business Equiventure Farms.

I retired my horse there. The owner is very sweet and has been involved in horses for 60 years.

Mar. 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yumeewarra in Apex. Excellent care, great owners nice facility.

Mar. 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Try Apex Equestrian Center...nice people