PDA

View Full Version : Paddock boot dilemma

Mukluk
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
I hate to spend a ton of money on Paddock boots. I ordered the Dublin Assurance zip paddock boot $89.90 and they are OK but the leather is not as nice as I'd like and they seem to fit a little tight (but I'm sure would break in). Also the lining is not leather.
Can anyone speak to the quality of the
Tredstep Giotto ($99.95)
Ariat heritage III H2o proof zip ($119.95)
I HATE to spend 200 on paddock boots but do I need to be looking at something like the
Ariat Quantum Devon ($199.95) to get what I want?.

What I want is quality leather, and durable. I also prefer leather that I can condition versus the shiny finish that looks like you could only polish it (as in the Dublins I have). These would be everyday boots that will need to take a fair amount of abuse (but I promise to give them a good clean up at least once per week or after any exposure to water).

Any wisdom greatly appreciated. I need to order soon because I have an event coming up (It's a western drill team thing and I need black boots but figure I can get away with paddock boots).

Dramapony_misty
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
I would look at the Ovation Aeros paddocks. Those are in the same price rance and are super-comfy. I'm on my second pair of Ovations (the Sport paddocks) and just waiting for them to die so I can get a pair of the Ovation Aeros. I'm waiting...and waiting....and still waiting....

molly8it
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
I have the Ariat Heritage II lace-ups (under $100 ) and love them. They have taken a beating for a year and a half and are holding up well.

candysgirl
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
I love my Dublin paddock boots. I beat the hell out of mine and treat them very poorly and they look just fine. I've conditioned mine with any number of things and it works well. Lately I've been using Stubbens Hammanol because I have Stubben saddles and that's what I have on hand and it seems to agree with the Dublins too.

Angelico
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:31 PM
I buy Jutey (spelling?!) from vrtack.com

$30.00.... For good quality, comfy, paddock boots.

FLeventer
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
I love the tredsteps. I abuse them and they still are kicking after a year. I wash my horse in them, then walk in sand, ride, walk all over horse events, and use them for when I walk around non horsey places. For $99 they are so worth it. They are comfy and look better then the Ariats IMO.

I have used ariats for years and after a few paddock boots did not last more then 1 year I gave up on the brand. Such junk these days.

Mukluk
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
Update. I am going to return the Dublins. Just ordered the tredsteps and hope they will be nice quality leather and durable.

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
I think you will be happy with the Tredsteps. I really love mine. Very comfy.

Green Acres
Mar. 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
I want to try the Tredsteps as my Ariats are falling apart after only 2 years. But would you believe the local Dover store doesn't have any in stock. They have a display for Tredstep but no boots! :confused:

hundredacres
Mar. 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
I've been wearing my new giotto tredsteps all week - they are extremely well made and I'm thrilled with them. For me, I have some rubbed spots on the outside ankle from breaking them in, but I think eventually these will break in. Again, the quality is very, very good as far as I can see for the low price! I hope you like yours!

Mukluk
Apr. 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
Update: The treadsteps arrived and they are very nice-the leather is nice, lined in leather, padded tongue what's not to love? Fantastic value for the price- so glad I didn't pay nearly $200 for Ariats! I put a product called Dri-boot waterproofing on them so if they get wet, the water will roll right off. I'm going to take good care of these boots!

hundredacres
Apr. 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Yay! Another convert! ;)