PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to pay for and have a saddle shipped?

Crown Royal
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
I am looking at purchasing a used saddle off of Tack Trader but it is far enough away that it will have to be shipped to me. What is the safest way to pay for the saddle and have it shipped so that I know I'm going to receive the saddle and not have my money stolen?

I am new to buying from private parties online so any help would be appreciated so I don't mess up. Thanks!

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Use paypal...that way you can file a claim within 45 days if it doesn't arrive, and have them ship using UPS or USPS and pay for the insurance :)

Good luck!

TrakeGirl
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:53 PM
I agree - Paypal is the way to go if both you and the seller have accounts.

As a buyer, I pretty much won't send anyone any significant amount of money (say...over $50) without using Paypal. If they don't take Paypal, sorry...deal is off. (Although if I really want the item, I do offer to pay a little more to cover the PayPal fees to the seller because sometimes that is the reason they won't use Paypal.)

As a seller, I've had quite a few people blindly send me checks for items, including saddles. How did they trust me? I have no idea. I always provided my full name and address and a phone number they could reach me by and I usually provide my ebay seller name so they know I am not a scammer (although I imagine I could give them just about anyone's ID and call it mine). So there are people willing to just send checks...I am just not one of them.

GingerJumper
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'd use PayPal. I used it to purchase a saddle from a COTHer and I think we also did tracking or insurance on the saddle so we both had the assurance that it got where it was going--to me. :)

I did choose to send a check for a bridle I bought from another COTHer, but she provided references and it was a much smaller amount so I wasn't really worried in that situation.

NSRider
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
I've had several saddles shipped to me over the past little while, and Paypal is the way to go. Insurance is a good thing as well since you never know in what shape the box is going to be when it gets to you... I've had some pretty beat up packages appear on the doorstep.

Also, tracking number is key!

FLeventer
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
Paypal. If they ask you to gift it so they don't have to pay fees, red lights should be going off. Do NOT do this because you will not be able to file a claim if the item does not arrive. Instead tell them that you will pay for the fees, which are usually less then $5, with the item. If they do not agree then tell them the deal is off.

Another thing, get Delivery Conformation or tracking depending if it ships USPS or UPS. Protects both parties.

I ship saddles a LOT. About 2 a month. I personally use Parcel Post which is around $30 unless the buyer requests Priority which is around $50 - 60 depending if they are charged a oversize fee. Make sure that they are packing that item well. I use bubble wrap around the saddle and newspaper to keep it from moving around in a box that is too big. I've received saddles that are just thrown in the box. Scares me that I'm going to get a broken tree.

If the saddle does not arrive in the described condition, then open a claim with paypal. If its tack trader or a forum, I save the pictures that they listed so that I have something to compare to when making my case. I usually use a screen shot of the whole ad as well as saving the pics to my computer.

Ok, sorry for the length but hope this helps.

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Deffinatly paypal

reefy!
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
Yep, please PayPal :)

My tale of woe: purchased a show jacket from a private buyer who advertised on COTH - this was a long time ago (been here awhile) so I don't know that we even had classifieds yet!). Sent cashier's check or money order, can't remember which, jacket came, didn't fit too well so I sent it back and was told the return of my money was "in the mail". Never came, never showed up, seller claimed they went to a convenience store to get the cashier's check/money order and they had no way to stop it and resend or any recourse at all. So I had no jacket and was out the money (probably between $100 and $150 - again, years ago so I don't remember but it was enough dough that I was pretty pissed off). And no, this person no longer posts here. :mad:

Now that I know about PayPal, I'd only use that. At least you have some recourse that way.

Puglet
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
I too will only use PayPal. Have shipped saddles, and requested shipping using USPS Parcel Post, insured with delivery confirmation.

Bogie
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
In terms of shipping . . .

I always ship saddles via UPS. In addition to filling out the paperwork, I put a second label with the recipient's address and telephone number on the box. That way if the paperwork gets separated from the box, it still gets there.

GotMyPony
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:55 PM
Another option to consider, believe it or not you can do it via US post office by having it shipped COD. I know this because I sold a saddle a few years ago and had to ship it out of state and neither the buyer nor I knew anything about PayPal. They buyer suggested it and I was amazed - until then I thought COD just meant the delivery cost was paid for by the recipient but NO, they had to give the whole purchase amount to the post office to get the package. I think the saddle price was $800 and the shipping may have been $30; I stipulated to the post office that they had to collect cash for the whole thing when they delivered the saddle to the woman. I then got a check in the mail very shortly from USPS. No problems - who knew?!
One thing: with the current post office $$ troubles, you should definitely check and see if they still have this service. Good luck...