PDA

View Full Version : Going to Ireland in June - Any horse-related outlets I should hit?

Gali's girl
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Ireland for 2.5 weeks in June, and I was wondering if there are any horse-related outlets I should try to go to. I heard there's a Horseware outlet somewhere, and I'd love to see if there's a Tredstep outlet as well. I tried googling, but didn't find much.

Thanks so much!

Amage
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm Irish and to be honest I really think you will struggle to find things better priced here than in the states!! Where abouts are you travelling to? Can give you details of some tack stores worth going to for a look but need to know whereabouts you'll be

gottagrey
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
if you are in mid/center of Ireland - in Ballinasloe you can try the Dubarry Outlet. I also heard that somewhere near Limmerick towards Cliffs of Moher there was a Stubben place that produced bridles, a friend of mine went there but that's been probably 7+ years ago.

Gali's girl
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Ooh, Dubarry Outlet!

@Amage - I'll be starting out in Wicklow for two or three days, then heading to Adare for a week to stay at Clonshire. After that all I know is we're "heading to the west" for 3-4 more days, according to my Irish-born mother.

I've heard the tack store in Adare is decent, so I'm definitely interested in taking a look there.

Regarding $$$ I figured it would be fun to look around, and if I happen to find a good deal (including the exchange rate), then I'll buy something. If not, then at least I had fun looking :)

gottagrey
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
I've been to a couple of tack shops there, and the few Iwent to didn't really have much to offer in terms of what I would want/need here. Black tack seemed to be more popular, and some of the hunt coats were a different style -gorgeous though. Am not sure if Rambo/Horseware were any better price. The Dubarry outlet was great but like any outlet it is hit or miss - prices are definitely good in the outlet. If you're out near Galway which you might be stop off at the Dartfield Horse Museum - they have a pretty nice tack shop there as well as the museum. If you're in Galway for any length of time you might have fun taking the ferry over to Aran Islands and renting a pony trap w/ guide to take you around the Island for sightseeing.

have a great time !

piaffequeen
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
So very envious! On my bucket list to go to Ireland! Have fun! :D

Lyra0502
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
TRI on the Curragh (N7) motorway is pretty good :yes:
You could drive through the Curragh and add in a visit to the Irish National Stud and the Japanese Gardens.

Amage
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
Ok well there is a nice little tackshop at an Equestrian Centre in Ashford in Wicklow. One place you actually cannot miss is a trip to the Curragh/Irish National Stud. i highly recommend getting up VERY early to get to watch the racehorses work on the Curragh. It is not at all like a US racetrack and it is breathtaking to see the horses working in early morning mist....and I live here & am involved in racing....it still takes my breath away. there is a fabulous tack shop here TRI www.triequestrian.ie that is definitely worth a look. Then head ten minutes down the road to the National Stud which is gorgeous and at that time of year will be FULL of foals! there is a gorgeous restaurant there for lunch. Competition gear is very different to the US but you can get excellent breeches way cheaper than USA. TRI have their own brand which are very comfy & cheap! Horseware wise you may get some bargains but fitting them in luggage is gonna be difficult. Ariat stuff surprisingly enough is cheaper over here at times. Start saving the money now for gas though....our gas prices are rapidly increasing and way up on what you guys are paying!

Gali's girl
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
@Amage & Lyra: I actually got to go to the National Stud the last time I was over when I was 13. I remember my mom and I wandering around drooling over all the horses and discussing which one we'd breed my mare to (never did though). I think I'll have to make a return trip as an adult :)

@Piaffe: Thanks, I'm so insanely excited! It's my early 32nd bday present (I know, I'm spoiled and have an amazing mother. I pay for my riding now though so this is her treat!)

These are great suggestions, keep them coming! I'm going to have a great list of places to "sightsee" ;) Good thing my mom is horse crazy as well!

vineyridge
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
What about a trip to Berney Brothers Saddlery? There are two of them, and it seems that there is some bad blood between them. I can't remember offhand where the "good" Berney Brothers is, though, because it's the location that distinguishes between the two.

Langfuhr
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:42 PM
My husband is from Co Waterford, so we always hit up Tipperary and Leopardstown. For some reason, I have curtailed my tackwhore way while in Ire, but next time, Im going buckwild on quarter sheets!

fine*and*dandy
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
What about a trip to Berney Brothers Saddlery? There are two of them, and it seems that there is some bad blood between them. I can't remember offhand where the "good" Berney Brothers is, though, because it's the location that distinguishes between the two.

I never knew there was more than one. We used to live near the one in Kilcullen where Tom works upstairs making saddles. He'd pop down to answer questions on occasion. It's a very small store. We shopped there a lot because it was so close and because Mary is delightful, but it really is very small.