PDA

View Full Version : back on track blanket

myalter1
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:17 AM
Has anyone used one of these? I was having a discussion with my horse's chiropractor yesterday and she thought magnets would help my guy. Of course, I don't want to invest another $300 into a product that MIGHT not work. I don't know anyone who has one that i could borrow, so I thought I would throw it out here. Any opinions on these?

Laurierace
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
Back on Track uses ceramic fibers not magnets. I love all their products.

BAC
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Laurierace is correct, BOT products are not magnetic, they use ceramic fibers. Do a search, they have been discussed frequently with quite a few people feeling they are very beneficial.

kafesoap
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
I was lucky enough to find a great deal at Equine Affaire on a BOT blanket which has helped my horse be more comfortable and loose through his shoulders, back and hind quarters.

I also purchased the BOT bell boots that have helped his front feet stay more comfortable in between jumping sessions.

BOT products help my dog too!!

myalter1
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
I was lucky enough to find a great deal at Equine Affaire on a BOT blanket which has helped my horse be more comfortable and loose through his shoulders, back and hind quarters.

This is what i was looking for in a product for my horse. I am sorry for my uneducated first post (re: magnets/ceramics). I did read up on the BOT website after i posted. I was hoping I could find one to borrow to see if it works.

Kafesoap - do you use the blanket before you ride? How long do you leave it on?

thanks

fatappy
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
Worth the money!

I have a cold-backed mare who is extremely ugly (will rip at the cross ties with ears pinned back) when you tighten her girth. If she wears her BOT sheet for a few hours before we ride, she doesn't budge.

The only thing that I didn't notice a HUGE difference after using was the hock wraps. Everything else, was money very well spent.

myalter1
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Really.. that's cool. I am wondering, though, since I board, would it have an effect if I put it on for about 20 minutes or a half hour before I ride? My BO is great, but I don't think I could ask her to put the BOT blanket on my horse every day at 3 PM. LOL

Seal Harbor
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:11 PM
Mine wears his after work. We tried using it before and while first walking around to warm up but he throws such a fit when we go to take it off that it gets him in a grumpy frame of mind at the start of his work it wasn't worth it.

He does not throw a temper tantrum if he is wearing his wool dress sheet when it is removed .

He seems to enjoy the BOT and hangs out in his stall wearing it, probably for a minimum of a half an hour to an hour or so after work.

Laurierace
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
If you do get one make sure it is the mesh sheet. It isn't quite as light as a fly sheet but you can use it in warmer temps than the regular sheet.

Rainrider
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
I use one- I put it on before and after if time allows; I think I see a difference- one can leave it on for up to three hours or even all day if you do it gradually- many people use them at shows in our area- (PNW) I use the people glove not sure if it works but I sue it anyway- can't hurt and my hand does not seems as stiff-Ileave it on all night- (broke hand)

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
I've never used BOT blankets, but I did used to use a cheapo magnetic blanket I picked up from SStack. I do think it helped my guy with his issues...until someone turned him out while wearing it and another horse shredded it.

It had little magnets sewn over the back and major muscle groups, and looked like a fly sheet.

wendy
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
the BOT mechanism- reflecting infrared heat from the ceramic fibers back to the sore area- makes a lot of sense, and can be very helpful to some horses, depending on what is wrong with them.
The magnets do not. They can't possibly be strong enough to affect the horse. The massive magnetic fields generated by MRI machines have no real effect on biological organisms. A magnet that powerful in a horse blanket would have a real detrimental effect on anything near the blanket- metal stuff flying from all over to stick to the blanket- and would have a detrimental effect on the occupant of the blanket, who would be injured by all of the metal stuff flying into him at high velocity.

fatappy
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:46 PM
Really.. that's cool. I am wondering, though, since I board, would it have an effect if I put it on for about 20 minutes or a half hour before I ride? My BO is great, but I don't think I could ask her to put the BOT blanket on my horse every day at 3 PM. LOL

My guys are out 24/7, so I usually can only put it on for a few mins before i ride. And I do notice a small difference if it's only on for the time it takes me to groom/ tack up. I have the saddle pad and the quarter sheet and so if I tack up and have those on for a long-ish warm up, they do get looser sooner.

eventer_mi
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have the mesh sheet, and my guy can be a bit touchy and stiff in the SI area in extremely cold weather and takes a LONG time to warm up. I put it on in the trailer before we head somewhere (approx a 30 minute trailer ride) and voila - I pull him out and he's warmed up in half the time it would normally take.

I'm planning on buying the quarter sheet for next year. I don't have any use for the saddle pads, but I do love my mesh sheet and the wraps!

Oh, and we have the BoT dog bed, and all four of our furry kids (two dogs, two cats) fight about who gets to lay on it.

myalter1
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=eventer_mi;6198845]I have the mesh sheet, and my guy can be a bit touchy and stiff in the SI area in extremely cold weather and takes a LONG time to warm up. I put it on in the trailer before we head somewhere (approx a 30 minute trailer ride) and voila - I pull him out and he's warmed up in half the time it would normally take. /QUOTE]

MY OTTB has been having chiro adjustments just about every 2 weeks since January due to SI issues. Stifles were injected last week and when the chiro came out this week we were talking about alternative therapies. I am going to try my friend's BOT pad today and see what I think. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the mesh sheet. It sounds like it will really help

kafesoap
Mar. 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
myalter1 - I use it before and after I ride. I try to put it on about an hour before I ride. I use it as a cooler as long as my horse is not shedding too much to get it hairy! I then leave it on during my cool down and use it again as a cooler when I am fussing with my horse before I put him to bed.

I shipped with it to a horse show right after i got it - in November - and I have to say my guy was full of himself when he got off the truck but in a good way. Back was way up and he was prancing about because he felt very good!

I also have been having some SI and back issues due to my favorite subject when it comes to my horse - poor saddle fit! The compensation my guy was enduring to tolerate his poorly fitting saddle caused a heap of problems in his shoulders, back and hind quarters. The BOT is helping us work through them and keep sore back days at bay.

I have heard many people recommend the lighter sheet as you can use it year round. I went for the blanket because it was on sale and will probably invest in the 3'x3' blanket for the warmer months for my guys back.:yes:

Tuesday's Child
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
My coach has the small blanket-y thing (the 3' x 3' I think?) and the hock wraps. I have borrowed the blanket for my mare who was having some back issues this winter, and despite only having it on during grooming/tacking up, I did notice she was less stiff and warmed up quicker. I would've tried to leave it on during warm up except I don't know if there's a way to attach it, and she gets pissy having things on when I ride :lol: If you are looking to save $$$, I would say the 3' x 3' does a good job if you can't have someone put a full blanket on before you get there!

Pally
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
My coach has the small blanket-y thing (the 3' x 3' I think?) and the hock wraps. I have borrowed the blanket for my mare who was having some back issues this winter, and despite only having it on during grooming/tacking up, I did notice she was less stiff and warmed up quicker. I would've tried to leave it on during warm up except I don't know if there's a way to attach it, and she gets pissy having things on when I ride :lol: If you are looking to save $$$, I would say the 3' x 3' does a good job if you can't have someone put a full blanket on before you get there!

And the bonus of the 3'x3 is that it is just so much easier to share with your horse than a bulkier sheet (fits on a car seat beautifully). I wish I were kidding, but honestly, the way the BOT works on me makes me a believer for the horses (besides stealing the square thing constantly, I have my own neck wrap and socks). The pad thing we have has a channel for an elastic surcingle, and some d rings, so it is pretty multipurpose in that you can layer it and whatnot. And as others have said, it does indeed work even if they can't wear it for ages.

And a word on the magnetic subject....my workplace has a magnetic blanket by Respond Systems. It has a battery pack and magnetic coils, so I think it is like a pulsed magnet type thing, rather than just regular magnets that sit on them like in cheaper blankets. Honestly, I haven't done much actual research on it. What I did was (since we owned it anyhow) start using it regularly on a horse who we got in that showed some back sensitivity and soreness. I really did notice a difference in his comfort level, both after individual applications and overall with continued use. Then I also used it on a big youngster who, while sound and not obviously sore, I suspected was having some "growing pains" as his workload increased. I thought he was happier and looser going to work after that. I now am a real believer in it, and will be making the effort to drag it out (downfall is it's heavy!) and thow it on anything I think might benefit. The downfall for anyone not already owning one....I just googled the price :eek:
http://www.respondsystems.com/store/item.asp?Category=127&SubCategoryID=&GroupID=&SKU=BPB3000