PDA

View Full Version : Best saddles for a hard to fit horse...... Under 2k?

Rev-Rider
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:20 AM
I've tried a cwd, pj, stubben, and a county, M MW W. Im switching from dressage where my old saddles were an isabell and a collegiate, both m/w but they never really fit without mattes.
Right now I have a budget of $2000. New or used. Any suggestions? My guy is a higher withered, m/w ish pear shaped back, with a low point behind the shoulders. I don't really know of a good saddler in my area who can re-flock, adjust, exc. So maybe a brand that can be adjusted.

I am a solid built,5'6 , with a longish thigh and have a goal of doing 3ft hunters. ( someday)

showidaho
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:05 AM
I don't personally own one, but I rode in someone else's Albion and thought it was a really great saddle. I also *think* they are quite reasonably priced for the quality - as well as coming with some great custom options. I ride a Butet and a Devoucoux and found the Albion to be just as nice, albeit I only rode it once...

pattnic
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
I would look at Black Country... new, fully custom is a bit (couple hundred dollars) above your 2K price point, but you may be able to find something used that could work.

Albion may be another good option, also at a decent price.

Melissa.Van Doren
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:24 AM
The Pessoa A/O AMS could work for you. It's a nice saddle in terms of leather quality and workmanship, has an ExChange system tree with interchangable gullets, and is offered with a variety of flap lengths/positions AND three different panel configurations. The Alto panels are built exactly for the back you describe - high withered with hollows. $2245 at The Farm House.

(AMS refers to the panels, which are flocked over a layer of neoprene which helps keep the flocking from bunching and helps absorb impact/distribute pressure evenly. They can be adjusted/reflocked just as any "normal" flocked panel.)

Ozone
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Barnsby all the way. Awesome saddle - quality, fit for horse and rider... and reasonably priced!

hollyhorse2000
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Black Country will give you good bang for the buck and are good for hard-to-fit horses. Used will fit into your budget. New will if you can stretch. I highly recommend Trumbull Mountain. Talk to them about your horse and your needs and they'll send a demo and you take pictures and send back and discuss and get do it all without a local saddle fitter if necessary.

TrakeGirl
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
I've tried a cwd, pj, stubben, and a county, M MW W.

What were the issues respectively with each of these saddles? (Include tree size of each also if you remember.) That might help us narrow in on what you need.

I have a horse with withers and the shoulder dip/wither hollows. IME, NO saddle is going to fit that conformation off the rack without the help of a half pad/shims unless you get a wool flocked saddle with skid row panels and have a fitter adjust to your horse. And I found most of the half pad/shim combinations out there didn't work that great either because they didn't fill in the area that I needed to fill in. Or didn't fill it in enough.

Rev-Rider
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cwd is my trainers M, level but too tight at shoulder. The pj is a MW, I've used it but it doesn't have enough wither clearance and was a 16.5 I'm at least a 17. Stubben was a m, to tight, sat way up hill. County was a wide and sat on his wither. I'm going to check out the black country and look into the Pessoa , the only good thing about all this trial and error is that I just keep saving more towards the saddle.

Win1
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Cwd is my trainers M, level but too tight at shoulder. The pj is a MW, I've used it but it doesn't have enough wither clearance and was a 16.5 I'm at least a 17. Stubben was a m, to tight, sat way up hill. County was a wide and sat on his wither. I'm going to check out the black country and look into the Pessoa , the only good thing about all this trial and error is that I just keep saving more towards the saddle.

I had the same problem with my pear shaped TB, either too narrow or too low. I ended up with 34 cm prestige, both dressage and jumping saddles with a mattes pad. They have excellent clearance and 34 is considered MW. I think they can be adjusted a few cm's too but have to be sent off.

cheektwocheek
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
Trumbull has a buttery soft used Killington that was made by black country for 2k ish. I think you can neg the price on used. Please buy it, so I don't.

M. Owen
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:30 AM
I am going to say try Albion also. They are a well made saddle for the price and wool flocked, so adjustable. I am not sure what you mean by pear shaped so not sure if they would suit that type of back. I had an Albion with a MW tree that fit wider horses pretty well, and a variety of wither heights. Unfortunately my current horse is a medium narrow, so I had to sell it and get something different.

Try looking at Pelham Saddlery in NH, they are great about shipping saddles and have a huge variety of new, used, and demo saddles for sale for good prices. They do have a website, and will ship 3 saddles at a time for you to try for not too much money (maybe around $35 if I remember correctly?).

Kitt
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
Trumbull has a buttery soft used Killington that was made by black country for 2k ish. I think you can neg the price on used. Please buy it, so I don't.

Quick correction: the Killington is made for us by Alan Powell at Saddler's Bench, not by Black Country. Both in the UK and both produce lovely saddles, but thought I should just set the record straight, nit-picking pedant that I am.

meupatdoes
Mar. 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
I've tried a cwd, pj, stubben, and a county, M MW W. Im switching from dressage where my old saddles were an isabell and a collegiate, both m/w but they never really fit without mattes.
Right now I have a budget of $2000. New or used. Any suggestions? My guy is a higher withered, m/w ish pear shaped back, with a low point behind the shoulders. I don't really know of a good saddler in my area who can re-flock, adjust, exc. So maybe a brand that can be adjusted.

I am a solid built,5'6 , with a longish thigh and have a goal of doing 3ft hunters. ( someday)

Albion and Black Country. They are available in some leather choices for $2,500 brand new so if you can find a used one you will be within your budget.

The Kent & Masters is quite a nice saddle brand new for like, $1,700 I think. Or is that one $1,000? I forget. Either way, in your budget and a good quality for the money. And I think it is adjustable.

Cabaret SK
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
Smith-Worthington? They aren't usually very expensive used, and you can send them to the factory in CT to be adjusted to your horse for about $100.

cheektwocheek
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:07 PM
Quick correction: the Killington is made for us by Alan Powell at Saddler's Bench, not by Black Country. Both in the UK and both produce lovely saddles, but thought I should just set the record straight, nit-picking pedant that I am.

My bad, thanks for the info. I love the killington.

Rev-Rider
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm looking into the Albion rep in my general area. I envy the east coasters for how many decent saddle companies you have nearby. The PNW seems to be lacking.

Punkie
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
Check out ADT; my trainers are sponsored by them and their saddles seem to fit everything (with correct pads) in our barn. Their entry level model is just a hair above your price range and used is definitely under.

GingerJumper
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
I really, really love my Prestige for my TB (similar back shape to what you're describing). I bought it used from my old trainer, who had purchased it for her TB. Once he's got his top line back I'm going to get it reflocked to fit him even better but it fits quite well now.

alto
Mar. 20, 2012, 04:17 PM
their saddles seem to fit everything

I keep looking for this saddle :yes:

unforunately I keep getting pawned off with the ones that don't fit. at all :uhoh: