PDA

View Full Version : Spanx?

equidae
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:55 PM
Anyone ride in these?

I have a show this weekend and I'm thinking of getting a pair to wear under my show clothes, hoping it will 'smooth' me out a bit ;)

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of this: http://www.freshpair.com/Spanx-Slim-Cognito-Shaping-Mid-Thigh-Bodysuit-067.html

equidae
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
http://www.freshpair.com/Spanx-Slim-Cognito-Shape-Suit-345.html?from=sp

Kind of pricey though..

peachy
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:08 AM
I have Spanx and they're fine for reducing VPL, but will definitely get these instead next time: http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Apparel/pc//Slender-Rider-Underwear-Capri-9p3699.htm.

The capri style means you can't see the subtle line where the shorter Spanx stop mid-thigh.

KingoftheRoad
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Actually, I have both the Kerrits and the FITS Wunderbreech, and I have to say I love the FITS! You really don't feel like you have anything on, which is especially important under those thinner TS breeches.

I thought I would like the Kerrits more, since they seem to be a more technical fabric, but I found two problems with them. The waistband is actually a bit too much, and tends to squeeze things upwards, if you get my drift. Also, and slightly more obnoxious, the Kerrits have a Euro seat seam on them, which I thought would be good, but that seam doesn't even come close to matching up with the Euro seam on my TS breeches, so it was really annoying, worrying that someone would be able to see I had something on under my breeches b/c of that second seam.

Seriously, I love the Wunderbreech! I've even worn it schooling when I wear lighter breeches, just to smooth out some dimples. And not at all hot under breeches - wore them to a show in August, and didn't have any problems at all.

Good luck!

ChocoMare
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:43 AM
Try SmartSlims (http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartslim-6926p.aspx?cm_vc=Search)from SmartPak. Cheaper and just as good ;)

cleozowner
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:01 AM
Assets (made by Spanx, sold at Target) work great. :)

sspry
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
SmartSlims from smartPak.

myalter1
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:15 AM
how the heck do you pee when you have those on? Seems like a lot of stuff to take off if you are hitting the porta potty...
(just wondering..really. this is an honest question)

ponymom64
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
Where does it all go?? Is it mushed underneath or does it come oozing out the ends?? This is a serious question....

AliCat518
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Most have a "crotch hole" to pee out of (well, I THINK thats what its for) but I never use it because I wouldnt want things to get messy then be sitting in spanx with pee in the crotch.

The fat is kinda just smooshed and contained. I never have any oozing, unless they fit incorrectly or slip down.

Disclaimer: ive never ridden in my spanx.

spacytracy
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
I can't imagine how they're not terribly annoying on a July day at a dusty horse show. I'm already dying in my show clothes.Something tight on my skin with me sweating within it? OMG that sounds like torture!

Mtn trails
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
I've used the smartslims and the FITS and have to say I like the latter much better. Very comfy under breeches and hardly know you they're there. The Smartslims just seem too thick.

Giddy-up
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
I tried wearing my capri length spanx under my white breeches once. I say once cause it felt so slippery I thought I was sliding all over in the saddle. I decided it wasn't worth feeling like I was falling off my jumper to avoid some VPL--which I have the thicker TS fabric & my pants are baggy fitting so it didn't matter anyways.

OveroHunter
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:57 AM
Has anyone worn SmartSlims under regular clothess? I have my engagement photos in a week and am debating on paying out for actual Spanx...

magnolia73
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
Actual spanx have better compression than Smart Slims.

Spanx are amazing. They can make you a size or two smaller.

OveroHunter
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
... or two?

*running out to buy Spanx*

Rhody Ram
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Has anyone worn SmartSlims under regular clothess? I have my engagement photos in a week and am debating on paying out for actual Spanx...

Just get Assets brand from Target. They are the exact same thing, just cheaper. They are made by the same company that makes Spanx.

AliCat518
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Overo, just make sure you get the correct size! Too small...and it aint pretty. Too big and it doesnt do as much.

But the correct size DEFINITELY makes you at least one size smaller.

molly8it
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
I use Spanx and am happy with them -- smooth, and not too hot (it gets HOT here, but not humid, FWIW). A friend I ride with has the Kerrits and loves them, but they look thicker (and hotter) than Spanx. With the Capri length Spanx, you don't get an extra line, since they end inside your breeches. And no, there's no spilling out in unsightly places, the Spanx just compress the hell out of everything.

If you have a Stein Mart or Nordstrom Rack nearby, check there for Spanx -- usually about 1/2 what they are in dept. stores.

ponymom64
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
I use Spanx and am happy with them -- smooth, and not too hot (it gets HOT here, but not humid, FWIW). A friend I ride with has the Kerrits and loves them, but they look thicker (and hotter) than Spanx. With the Capri length Spanx, you don't get an extra line, since they end inside your breeches. And no, there's no spilling out in unsightly places, the Spanx just compress the hell out of everything.

If you have a Stein Mart or Nordstrom Rack nearby, check there for Spanx -- usually about 1/2 what they are in dept. stores.

I know RueLaLa has Spanx periodically, but I've never bought any because I was unsure where it all went :yes:

eclipse
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
I have a knock off pair from Walmart that I wear under my whites! I've seen too many people with see-through whites, so I figures flesh toned full leg spanx would be a stop to that and smooth the cellulite! :lol:

Goodness my friend and I were quite the site when we were trying the whites on (with the spanx). We'd go outside into the sun and bend over to see if our undies showed through! bahahahahahahaha

KingoftheRoad
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Really, try the FITS before anything else - I promise! I wore them at a 95 degree horse show, and they were fantastic. They aren't slippery like Spanx - they feel like cotton, and I did not sweat to death at all, they actually breathe! I really forgot I had them on.

I have the FITS, Kerrits, and the SmartSlims - FITS are the best by far. I know they don't look like they will do much, but they did a great job eliminating dimples and making me feel much more confident, and nobody can tell you're wearing them. And the price is great too!

I don't work for them or anything, but I really like them that much - so much that I posted a thread on here after I wore them to a show to say just that.

KBC
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Another wonderful, informative thread from COTH, always guaranteed to ask the questions that no other board will touch:lol:

myalter1
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
A crotch hole??? really? You are supposed to pee out of it? OMG I am so uptight. I don't think I could do it.. Now, but making me a size or two smaller???? REALLY? Now THAT i could do!

M. Owen
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
I had capri length assets brand at one point from Target, but I can't find them. They worked well and weren't too uncomfortable. I don't think they made me even a size smaller, just smoothed everything out. If Spankx can truly perform the miracle of making me appear 2 sizes smaller, I may just have to shell out! How do you know what size to get? I feel like I wouldn't want to try them on, kind of like trying on underwear- yuck!!

refresh
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
Do people try them on at the store?!

Appsolute
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
I can't imagine how they're not terribly annoying on a July day at a dusty horse show. I'm already dying in my show clothes.Something tight on my skin with me sweating within it? OMG that sounds like torture!

Ufff, I can’t stand feeling like a cased sausage… which is what I feel like if I am “squeezed two sizes down” I mean WHERE does it go? Multiple layers to remove in a sweltering show porta potty is a no go for me as well (mmm pee hole?! I’ll pass!).

If I want to smooth out, I just put on some control top pany hose, the type with super sheer legs that aren’t too hot. They help control mid thigh to high waist, and are easy to pull down when nature calls.

Appsolute
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Do people try them on at the store?!

I have seen the target brand ones in a store.. and those are packed like panty hose... not for trying on!

equidae
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
Actually, I have both the Kerrits and the FITS Wunderbreech, and I have to say I love the FITS! You really don't feel like you have anything on, which is especially important under those thinner TS breeches.

I thought I would like the Kerrits more, since they seem to be a more technical fabric, but I found two problems with them. The waistband is actually a bit too much, and tends to squeeze things upwards, if you get my drift. Also, and slightly more obnoxious, the Kerrits have a Euro seat seam on them, which I thought would be good, but that seam doesn't even come close to matching up with the Euro seam on my TS breeches, so it was really annoying, worrying that someone would be able to see I had something on under my breeches b/c of that second seam.

Seriously, I love the Wunderbreech! I've even worn it schooling when I wear lighter breeches, just to smooth out some dimples. And not at all hot under breeches - wore them to a show in August, and didn't have any problems at all.

Good luck!

Good point on the Euroseam!! My show breeches don't have Euroseat so that definitely would not work.

equidae
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
Just get Assets brand from Target. They are the exact same thing, just cheaper. They are made by the same company that makes Spanx.

That's AWESOME.

I literally had no idea about Assets. I wear my Spanx whenever I go out in public but they get very pricey!

AliCat518
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:54 PM
Ewwww I hope people dont try them on! The ones I have bought were in the originial packaging, and the boutiques ive bought them from DO NOT allow people to try them on, thank GOD

equidae
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
Ewwww I hope people dont try them on! The ones I have bought were in the originial packaging, and the boutiques ive bought them from DO NOT allow people to try them on, thank GOD

Got my Spanx at Nordstrom's; they don't let you try them on but they allow returns. I always look and make sure they've definitely never been taken out of the package ;)

equidae
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
Ufff, I can’t stand feeling like a cased sausage… which is what I feel like if I am “squeezed two sizes down” I mean WHERE does it go? Multiple layers to remove in a sweltering show porta potty is a no go for me as well (mmm pee hole?! I’ll pass!).

If I want to smooth out, I just put on some control top pany hose, the type with super sheer legs that aren’t too hot. They help control mid thigh to high waist, and are easy to pull down when nature calls.

It's actually oddly comfortable. I like to feel like I'm not having sloppy muffin-top (which I do without the Spanx, trust me), so I don't mind being sucked in. Unfortunately, I've gone past the point of pantyhose :( I'd rather be smooth and tight than loose and jiggly;) The only thing is the tan color looks odd if you have a shorter shirt and bend over or lift up to stretch and the seam down the middle shows. But they also come in black.

equidae
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Another wonderful, informative thread from COTH, always guaranteed to ask the questions that no other board will touch:lol:

:yes:

Hunter Mom
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hanes also has a version, and they work great. I wore mine the other day under a skirt that would not have been wearable without some help. Most are less than $10 on their website...
http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/shapewear-13666--1/thigh-slimmers

As for the calls of nature, they're a bit snugger when taking on/off, but not bad. I have worn them under breeches and htey do their job. Definitely prefer the capri length there, though. I think they're a bit hot in the middle of summer - riding or everyday - and tend to wear them when it's cooler out.

Comfort - they really don't feel like anything. there is no creeping, no wedgies. They gently compress all the soft areas adn make it much nicer.

RoseBud143
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Omg! I'm laying in bed dying right now.... Or was until I had to get up and try on the Kerrits pair I JUST got in the mail today! Lol. Great sale on eBay, 19.99 with free ship so after going to a dressage show this weekend..and seeing everyone in white breeches, some way to thin ( material ;) )... I thought I would spring for a pair just in case...

So as I said, after reading the above posts there was no way I was going to try these damn things on, cuz let me tell ya, I pulled them out of the bag and thought there HAD to be a mistake and the sent me a pair of toddler pants.... So they went straight to the horse drawer.

Well obviously curiosity got the best of me and I just had to try them on. Belive it ot not. They a pretty comfy, nice material, soft and very flexible. Ni restriction at all actually.

As for where does it go....well I got them for my booty, that my husband loves, but its still a booty... Which looks great in jeans maybe, but white breeches or light tan are a completely different matter. In jeans I'm a 29x34 or 8-12 depending on brand.

I SWEAR THESE ACTUALLY MADE ME LOOK BIGGER LOL! it made my butt flatter and spread it out to my thigh areas so there was less definition of but to thigh region...yes everything was a little smoother and would Def help with thinner light breeches, but it doesn't seem they are meant to make u loose a size like spanx, but rather just smooth it so when you do that sitting and posting trot, it doesn't move all by itself. :)

Hopefully that's a helpful tidbit... OHHH and there is no crotch hole, I repeat, there is no crotch hole.....Hahahaha

P.S posted with my android smartphone.......

ElisLove
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
Hanes also has a version, and they work great. I wore mine the other day under a skirt that would not have been wearable without some help. Most are less than $10 on their website...
http://www.onehanesplace.com/outlet/shapewear-13666--1/thigh-slimmers

My mom has something that looks like the top 2 left pairs on that website. I tried it on once and the top rolled down SO crazy (which she warned me about). So it was uncomfy and you had this big roll of fabric that would be so obvious!

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
The capri style means you can't see the subtle line where the shorter Spanx stop mid-thigh.

I was at a dressage show a couple of weeks ago and I can attest that line is not subtle.:no:

NotAtTheBarn
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
I just ordered a pair in capri length and am very excited to wear them with my white breeches! I have a pair of the shorter mid-thigh length ones that I wore last year, and the odd cut-off point made them a little uncomfortable and the line was a little noticable up-close.

ElisLove
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:49 AM
For those of you that get the more pant like ones don't you get muffin tops? Any capri length ones that are high waisted? (that won't roll down)

NotAtTheBarn
Mar. 17, 2012, 12:54 AM
The capri length ones I ordered were normal waist, not high waisted so I wonder how much better they will fit. The high waisted ones I have had in the past rolled down a little bit and were a little uncomfortable when that happenned.

FlashGordon
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
For those of you that get the more pant like ones don't you get muffin tops? Any capri length ones that are high waisted? (that won't roll down)

I have a generic bodyshaper from Target, that I bought to try when I went back to riding after having my son. I made sure to get one some that are very high waisted. Yeah they go up to like, my ribcage, but it means no muffin top. Mine don't roll, they have a pretty wide waistband.

They looked like a torture device but they are comfortable and honestly I don't ride without them now.

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:07 AM
I like the FITS. I wore them to show in July in Mid TN and I was not overheated like I feared. They are really comfy and they do work. I have used some non-horsey slimmers and some are very slippery for me. So I stick with FITS. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to slip into them right now for my first show of the year today! Wish me luck. :)