PDA

View Full Version : Hits Thermal EHV-1

Mar. 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hello to all.... if your were at the HITS Desert Horse Show in Thermal California during Weeks 4, 5 & 6 you should be aware that my horse contracted EVH-1 (equine herpes virus) while there. We were stabled in the Temporary tent behind barn 2. So if you were there watch your horses and if they get a runny nose and fever call your vet ASAP!! I really am worried about all of the horses and their owners who were there. Please note if you read this blog last night I did rant a bit about my experience. This was not ment for that purpose but to only inform everyone that the virus is out there and we all need to take more precautions and be more aware. Also please note this is the non-neuorpathic form of EHV-1. Please do your homework on difference between the 2 different types.

Skybox
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info. Would you mind sharing where 'home' is for your horse - region, not specific barn.

Winston the Corgi
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
"In California, two premises—one in Orange County and one in Riverside County—were quarantined after resident horses tested positive for EHV-1. Epidemiologic investigations on both outbreaks led the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) to conclude the two incidents were unrelated.

In Orange County 16 horses tested positive for EHV-1, beginning with the index case on Jan. 11. Only one horse (the index case) displayed neurologic signs and has reportedly recovered. One horse was euthanized on Jan. 18 after becoming recumbent; however, a necropsy led veterinarians to believe the recumbency was unrelated to the EHV-1.

In Riverside County a horse at a large multidiscipline facility tested positive for the neurologic form of EHV-1. The horse exhibited hind limb incoordination and urine dribbling, became recumbent, and was euthanized on Jan. 23.

On Feb. 14 the CDFA released a statement indicating no additional horses at either premises had displayed signs related to or tested positive for EHV-1, and that both facilities had been released from quarantine. "

I am curious about the "large multidiscipline facility" in Riverside County and how that might relate to Thermal. . . .if there were horses there who went to the show. It is very disconcerting that both of those cases were euthanized.

I hope your horse is improving.

MR
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:58 PM
Today's CDFA posting re: EHV-1 in California:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/equine_herpes_virus.html

Alert
CURRENT EHV-1 SITUATION:

San Diego County

March 15, 2012: A gelding in San Diego County displaying hind limb ataxia has been confirmed positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpesvirus -1 (EHV-1). This strain of virus is responsible for the more common respiratory EHV-1 cases. A small percentage of non-neuropathogenic EHV-1 infected horses can display neurologic signs and are classified as equine herpes myeloencephalopathy cases which are a reportable condition in California. The positive horse has been quarantined and is under veterinary care. Initial investigation by CDFA indicates that this horse and the positive Monterey County horse participated in the same large equine event. CDFA is working with event management to contact exposed horse owners and recommend isolation, twice daily temperature monitoring and implementation of proper biosecurity.

Monterey County

March 15, 2012: No New Cases.

March 14, 2012: A gelding displaying hind limb ataxia has been confirmed positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpesvirus -1 (EHV-1). This strain of virus is responsible for the more common respiratory EHV-1 cases. A small percentage of non-neuropathogenic EHV-1 infected horses can display neurologic signs and are classified as equine herpes myeloencephalopathy cases which is a reportable condition in California. The positive horse has been quarantined and is under veterinary care. CDFA has initiated an investigation and owners of exposed horses are asked to take temperatures twice daily and monitor for clinical signs. CDFA will continue to monitor the situation.

Winston the Corgi
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
OP - one more thing.

Please report your case - and the vet care you encountered at the show (including the fact that the show vet was reluctant to test for EHV-1 and hesitant to address the neurological symptoms) - to the US Dept. of Agriculture and the CA Dept. of Food & Agriculture.

This is important. You may remember what happened with the US Cutting Show in Utah where a EHV-1 outbreak occurred and 13 horses ultimately died as a result.

Rapid response - to determine what is the situation and what she occur from here on out - is needed. EHV-1 can be "spread through the air, contaminated equipment, clothing and hands." Even if the affected horses are no longer at Thermal, there is a possibility for further infection.

USDA - National.Surveillance.Unit@aphis.usda.gov
(970)-494-7195

CDFA - 916-900-5000

The CDFA has on their website:
"San Diego County

March 15, 2012: A gelding in San Diego County displaying hind limb ataxia has been confirmed positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpesvirus -1 (EHV-1). This strain of virus is responsible for the more common respiratory EHV-1 cases. A small percentage of non-neuropathogenic EHV-1 infected horses can display neurologic signs and are classified as equine herpes myeloencephalopathy cases which are a reportable condition in California. The positive horse has been quarantined and is under veterinary care. Initial investigation by CDFA indicates that this horse and the positive Monterey County horse participated in the same large equine event. CDFA is working with event management to contact exposed horse owners and recommend isolation, twice daily temperature monitoring and implementation of proper biosecurity.

Monterey County

March 15, 2012: No New Cases.

March 14, 2012: A gelding displaying hind limb ataxia has been confirmed positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpesvirus -1 (EHV-1). This strain of virus is responsible for the more common respiratory EHV-1 cases. A small percentage of non-neuropathogenic EHV-1 infected horses can display neurologic signs and are classified as equine herpes myeloencephalopathy cases which is a reportable condition in California. The positive horse has been quarantined and is under veterinary care. CDFA has initiated an investigation and owners of exposed horses are asked to take temperatures twice daily and monitor for clinical signs. CDFA will continue to monitor the situation."

It appears that at least 2 horses have picked up EHV-1 from Thermal (is your gelding one of these two?) so far.

alittlegray
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:05 PM
Just.Wow. I hope this situation is given some clarity quickly.

MR
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
I am curious about the "large multidiscipline facility" in Riverside County and how that might relate to Thermal. . . .if there were horses there who went to the show.

I believe the January/February "Riverside county" incident involved horses at the Empire Polo Club grounds in Indio. Close to the H/J HITS Thermal site, but actually a separate grounds a few miles away.

BLBGP
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Is your horse one of the two reported?

NotAtTheBarn
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
Wow, this is so disappointing on part of the Thermal staff and veterinarians. I hope your horse makes a speedy recovery.

I have been debating on whether or not I will show my horse this year as much as I would like because of the threat of the virus and owners not completing proper quarentine for their infected horses. What a shame.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:24 PM
Wow. I just texted the trainers who had horses out there. That is scary!

poltroon
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thank you, OP. I hope your horse recovers and that there are no other cases.

Mar. 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
Thank you to all for reading my post, please share with as many people as possible to get the word out. Yes my horse has been tested and reported and is in quartine and under veterinary care. He is doing much better and we hope for a full recovery. We also have reported to all the USDA and CA Dept. of Food & Agriculture. I am very upset about all of this and the way things were handled but please rest assured forum readers I am also very worried about all the horses who were at HITS Thermal. I am doing the right thing swiftly and correctly to protect all other horses out there. Also I am looking into reporting the Horse Show facility. It is time to stand up for the rights of the owners and their horses.

Peggy
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:35 PM
OP - Sorry to hear about your horse and hope that he recovers and no one else in the barn gets it.

One quick question - Did your horse test positive for the neuro strain of EHV or for regular EHV-1? Based on the above posts it appears that the two horses, one in SD and one in Monterey, that were at the same large show (Thermal?) tested positive for regular EHV-1 but had neuro symptoms.

Mar. 15, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hi Peggy

Yes my horse tested positive for the following:

non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpesvirus -1 (EHV-1)

But please be advised he does have neuro symptoms in the hind end.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks for speaking out about this. I hope your horse recovers quickly.

You are right to be furious--everyone who was out there should be!

Kato
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
I hope your horse recovers fully and quickly. How totally scarey. I would be royally pissed off too.

Horseymama
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:21 AM
Whaaat? Holy crap I had two horses there weeks 5 and 6. Why has this not been officially reported? There were close to 3,000 horses there week 5! I will have my horses tested ASAP. This is extreme irresponsibility on behalf of the show management, USDA and state of California. Every horse owner in attendance should have been contacted, not reading about this on COTH!

Mar. 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Please note that it was reported with the USDA and Starte of Ca but I do not think those agencies said this horse came from the HITS Thermal show park. That is why I posted this.

LastCall9
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
My trainer just got home with a trailer full of horses who were at weeks 4,5 and 6 of Thermal. Should I be worried?

Peggy
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:01 AM
Again, thank you very much for posting. CDFA is reporting two horses, one in SD and the other in Monterey county, that were at the same large event. They don't specify Thermal, but it's a reasonable guess. Is your horse in either of those counties?

spurzi
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:02 AM
7383 I so hope for a full recovery to your horse, so sorry to hear. I also hope this was some rare case & no other horse has symptoms like yours. Very sad/scary when these things happen.

Horseymama
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:05 AM
If they are reporting it, why in the world would they not specify that the horse(s) came from the Thermal horse show? Isn't that extremely important information? There were thousands of horses there!

Mar. 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
Peggy... The answer is yes and it is Thermal.

LastCall9....I would have them tested. EHV-1 was there.

Mar. 16, 2012, 01:13 AM
Horseymama.....Your guess is as good as mine. Why didn't they specify where it was? Maybe they do not want to ensue panic. But as a horse owner I feel that we have the right to know and choose where we show and what we expose the lovely animals to. That is why I posted.

Peggy
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:15 AM
7383 - I posted both the CDFA link and a link to this thread on my FB.

Also, just received an email update from iJump with the info from the CDFA page so the word is getting out.

khobstetter
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:23 AM
I got a call from the State vet regarding the testing and just sent out an iJump Sports email blast with the information. As we find out more, will send out additional blasts. If you are not on that blast list sign up. So sorry to hear this, hope your horse is fine!!!!!!

JMcArdle
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:41 AM
7383 , Where were you stabled?

Horsezee
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:43 AM

7383 I hope your horse has a full and speedy recovery.

Peggy
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:46 AM
If anyone has information about what barns are involved in SD and/or Monterey and where those horses may have been stabled at Thermal, that info would be hugely helpful.

I've attached a map of the Thermal showgrounds, extracted from their website, in case that will help to jog someone's memory.

Mar. 16, 2012, 01:51 AM
That is all I can help you with. But please read about all forms of contact it is not just from the stabling. Any nose to nose contact a borrowed rag a shared water or feed bucket. Human hand contact after feeding a cookie and even a sneeze could can send the virus up to 35 feet. Please go to the UC Davis web site, USDA or CDFA and there is a ton of information.

Peggy
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
Temporary Barn 22 That is all I can help you with.Thanks for the information. That's a big help and very useful to those who had horses there. Which I am glad I did not. We went out for a day trip during week 5 and, when we returned back to the barn to split up into our respective cars, something made me not go out to say goodnight to my horse. I am glad I listened to that little voice in my head.

Hope your horse makes a full recovery. I know how scary neuro symptoms are.

khobstetter
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:14 AM
Both horses in the same area....

Peggy
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:48 AM
The more I think about how the OP and her trainer's concerns were ignored and compare that to the caution and openness with which the folks at the Empire Polo Club proceeded the madder I get.

nutmeg
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
Thank you 7383 - sending best wishes for your horse. I hope the California entries that are newly arrived at WEF are taking appropriate precautions. I'll make sure we stock up on the bleach!

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thank you 7383 - sending best wishes for your horse. I hope the California entries that are newly arrived at WEF are taking appropriate precautions. I'll make sure we stock up on the bleach!

There were probably competitors there from all over the country. :eek:

workl8
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:40 AM
Thank you for sharing this information with us. I hope your horse has a full recovery.

runwayz
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
So now that this is all over Facebook, I have noticed that because the horse tested with the non-neurological type, some trainers are saying not to worry, anyone comment on this?

FineAlready
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
OP - I applaud you for handling this very troubling situation exactly as you should be and for showing so much concern for the other horses who may have been exposed.

I hope your infected horse gets better quickly and that none of the others at home get sick.

You are a class act, and, on behalf of horse owners everywhere, I just want to say thank you.

JustJump
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
The more I think about how the OP and her trainer's concerns were ignored and compare that to the caution and openness with which the folks at the Empire Polo Club proceeded the madder I get.

Could you elaborate on this? The OP has changed her post, so perhaps some who read what transpired could fill in some of the blanks?

khobstetter
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:15 PM
Chiming in here now that I have further information...

The Empire Polo situation was entirely different with the symptoms and the test results. IF the symptoms were the same at Thermal I am sure the show vet would have been extremely concerned. With what was displayed the sense of urgency was balanced (MY WORDS AND OPINION ONLY!!) and the tests proved to be the lesser concerning strain....

Both horses were stabled in the far outreaches of the tent barns with VERY competent trainers assisting with the decisions. Both horses tested positive for the NON-NEUROPATHOGENIC STRAIN of the virus..basically the more non fatal one ALTHOUGH horses can die from just about anything.

Keep on you toes with your horse care...temp a few times a day and call the vet immediately if they spike a fever........STRAIGHT FROM THE STATE VET!! STATE TESTS DID NOT SHOW THE 'WILD TYPE' EXPLAINED BELOW...just the common respiratory type that is in the air all the time.

INFO: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/AHFSS/Animal_Health/pdfs/QA_EHV-1NeuropathogenicStrain.pdf
Are there different strains of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV-1)?
There are two strains of EHV-1 ubiquitous in the environment. The wild type non-neuropathogenic strain of the
virus most commonly causes respiratory disease, abortion and neonatal foal death, but may occasionally result
in neurological disease. Licensed vaccines effective against this strain of the virus are available. The mutant
neuropathogenic strain of EHV-1 (NEHV-1) most commonly causes the neurologic disease syndrome, Equine
Herpes Myeloencephalopathy (EHM). Currently manufactured licensed vaccines have no label claims to
protect against the mutant neuropathogenic strain.

IN MY OPINION ONLY...not much to worry about as long at you temp your horses, BE SURE THEY ARE CURRENT ON THEIR SHOTS...and exercise good horsemanship in their care.

FAW
The reason they don't report the name of the facility is for protection of the show owners in case of a lawsuit. Also protection of the owner(s) of the horses for the same reason.

Dear JustJump

I changed my post because it was being viewed the wrong way and the fact is I ranted a bit. It was late and I did not need to put bad energy out there for everyone to see. This is about me being concerned for all the other horses, owners, trainers and handlers. The USDA and CDFA did not specify where the outbreak occurred and that really made me concerned, so I felt I had a moral obligation to let people know where it came from. I would hope some other horse owner would do the same. This is not about laying blame on barns, trainers or facilities. This is about everyone being informed so we can keep a handle on this virus and control it.

poltroon
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
IN MY OPINION ONLY...not much to worry about as long at you temp your horses, BE SURE THEY ARE CURRENT ON THEIR SHOTS...and exercise good horsemanship in their care.

Remember, the vaccine is not effective against the neurologic form. We definitely all need to be taking care.

It would be interesting to know if the two horses who were tested were vaccinated, particularly since this tested as the less dangerous strain that should be prevented. I don't know if people going to the winter circuit follow a different protocol, but when I was in a large boarding barn, we vaccinated rhino/flu in spring and fall, which would mean that by March you'd be at the end of that period and about ready for the spring vaccs.

khobstetter
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
They were up to date on everything....

Remember, the vaccine is not effective against the neurologic form. We definitely all need to be taking care.

It would be interesting to know if the two horses who were tested were vaccinated, particularly since this tested as the less dangerous strain that should be prevented. I don't know if people going to the winter circuit follow a different protocol, but when I was in a large boarding barn, we vaccinated rhino/flu in spring and fall, which would mean that by March you'd be at the end of that period and about ready for the spring vaccs.

Ghazzu
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
So now that this is all over Facebook, I have noticed that because the horse tested with the non-neurological type, some trainers are saying not to worry, anyone comment on this?

Even the "non-neurotropic" EHV-1 can cause neurologic problems in some horses, though the incidence is far lower.

Ghazzu
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:25 PM

EHV-1 vaccines are not very effective.
They do more to prevent shedding of the virus than they do to protect the vaccinated individual.

This is due to the nature of the virus, which, once a horse is initially infected (usually by 1 year of age), take up residence in nerve tissues and lymphoid tissues, both "immunologically protected" sites--out of reach of the immune system's defenses.

Peggy
Mar. 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
Could you elaborate on this? The OP has changed her post, so perhaps some who read what transpired could fill in some of the blanks?
I figure that it's her post and if she wants to change it I'm not going to provide the info.

EAY
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:03 AM
...when I was in a large boarding barn, we vaccinated rhino/flu in spring and fall, which would mean that by March you'd be at the end of that period and about ready for the spring vaccs.

My vet says flu/rhino is only effective for about three months and recommends a summer booster for show horses or others who are moving around a lot, being exposed to other horses. I guess that would mean that horses at the winter circuits should also have a mid-winter booster.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
So far the response at my barn has been a big shrug.

Is there anything we should be doing besides keeping an eye on the horses that were out at the Thermal horse show?

ETA the Thermal show and the specific tent numbers are mentioned in the latest update.

FAW
Mar. 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
My horsed got a booster before he left for Thermal WKs5-6

Claudius
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
A horse came over , rode over from another barn, and schooled in our ring. We did not get close, but did sit and watch. This horse just flew in from Thermal. How is this spread? My horse is up on all shots. Should I mention this to the owner of our facility...should I mention this to other horses owners? We are in Wellington,Fla.

FAW
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:43 PM
Human contact with the sick horse via hands, rags etc. Horses sneeze on each other, lick things and a healthy horse touches the surface. Just like human flu in ways

Claudius
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thank you for the reply....none of the above took place...no contact...no rags...no sneezing....the horse schooled and then left the ring and went home. Should I warn the girl that was setting fences for him?? What about the rider/handler, should I warn her about the possibiity that he could sspread it to her horses?

FAW
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:15 PM
If you think your could have come in contact, yes, but here's a deal. Germs can travel via third parties. My horse got a rhino booster before he left for Thermal, so he would be stronger to deflect the germ than one who didn't get a booster.

The most important thing you can do right now is watch your horse, take its temp twice a day for another 18 days. Yes, helps washing your hands, but you can't get sick, but if your horse had contact with the germ or became sick, it spreads easily.

Chef Jade
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Another reason I stable in the permanent barns. I hate that in the tent stalls, your horse can touch noses with the horse behind them who is likely NOT from the same barn.

I hope this one stays contained!

Peggy
Mar. 18, 2012, 12:53 AM
I got the following advice from my vet's office when I called. I talked to the office person, but she's pretty knowledgeable. We were concerned, in part, because we had taken a couple of horses to a show and two of them were stabled overnight in the boarding barns.

Monitor temperatures, ideally 2x/day, on the horses that were at the show. We are now doing it for all horses.

If you do put horses in a stall at a show or even a new horse in a stall if you have reason to be suspicious, disinfect the stall. Spray bleach on the walls. Not going to help in the friendly tent stabling as ChefJade pointed out. Wooden stalls in the dark will be more efficient at harboring the virus (exactly what our horses were stabled in at the show last weekend). She also reminded me that bleach gets deactivated by something in dirt, so won't work for dirt stall floors.

Use common sense. OK to show, but don't share buckets, tie horses to areas used by other horses, etc.

Horses with regular EHV-1 can develop neuro symptoms, especially if stressed or their immune system is compromised. However, they will transmit it as regular EHV-1 as far as I understand.

The PCR test does distinguish between regular EHV-1 and EHM (the neuro form). The assistant said that they got a test back from the state in two days.

Claudius - I would tell the person with the horse just so she can take precautions, including monitoring temperatures.

Jumperprincess
Mar. 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
Did the show require vaccination? Did they check? Hope your horses recover fine!

Atlas Shrugged
Mar. 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
Stay away from the QH's doing the circuit. A local barn was contaminated with some "mysterious" virus with high fever etc. - really awful - now they are off to their next show two weeks later, while one boarder's horse is still in the hospital. Connecticut.

Peggy
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:00 AM
I had a request to copy and paste a post I made in the sticky EHV-1 thread on Horse Care. It is post #366 and was made on 1/25/12. It is a summary of the meeting at Thermal that I got...someplace:

Thermal Meeting:
JANUARY 25, 2012

Thermal HITS - Good Horsemanship Precautions, EHV-I

A noon informational meeting today at HITS Thermal laid out precautionary information relating to the recent west coast EHV-I outbreak. In the spirit of horse safety and care, Tom Struzzieri and his staff called a noon get together for trainers and California State Vets to exchange information.

Four California State Vets are in town to investigate a positive horse at Empire Polo Club (17 miles from the HITS grounds) that was euthanized on Monday. They emphasized that the exposure potential for horses on the HITS Show grounds was extremely „low risk‰. The polo club has been quarantined and locked down for 21days of monitoring and cautionary actions.

HITS staff has instituted precautionary actions.

*No daily ship-ins allowed effective immediately.
*Upon arrival of horses to the show grounds, full disclosure for each horse as to where it comes from, where it has been and what contact with other horses it has had.
*Keep control of contact among horses.
*Procedures laid out for horse owners to take the temperature of each horse twice a day. An unexplained fever of 102 or higher should be reported to Dr. Peters, Hagyard Vet Clinic on grounds, for evaluation.
*In a precautionary measure, horses in question will be relocated to one of several isolation stalls currently being erected on the grounds for further evaluation.

The California State Vets emphasis that the risk of exposure is extremely low for HITS competitors and stated that normal precautionary measure should be continued. They reiterated there is no reason to panic and over react.

When directly asked, „Is the HITS show a safe place to bring horses to compete for the Circuit?‰ ALL four of the vets quickly and emphatically answered, „YES, the risk is low and being monitored by all of us and the State. Information will be quickly relayed to horseman. Keep checking the California Department of Food and Agriculture web site for updates.‰

For more information go to www.cdfa.ca.gov , click on the EHV-I on the top right. The state vets will keep the updates current.

HITS will keep you informed of any new information.

Del Mar Horsepark (via the SD CDS chapter):
Due to the EHV-1 outbreak, Del Mar Horsepark is abiding by the recommended 21-day shutdown, which means horses will not be allowed to enter the facility for 21 days, and horses that leave the facility will not be allowed to return. As a result, our February show must be cancelled. At this point, we expect to hold our June show. We have several viable options that we are exploring and will make a formal announcement once we have something finalized. Those who have already paid for the February Show will receive refunds. Questions? Contact Show Manager Lisa Blaufuss.

Dune
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
I had a request to copy and paste a post I made in the sticky EHV-1 thread on Horse Care. It is post #366 and was made on 1/25/12. It is a summary of the meeting at Thermal that I got...someplace:

Thermal Meeting:
JANUARY 25, 2012

Thermal HITS - Good Horsemanship Precautions, EHV-I

A noon informational meeting today at HITS Thermal laid out precautionary information relating to the recent west coast EHV-I outbreak. In the spirit of horse safety and care, Tom Struzzieri and his staff called a noon get together for trainers and California State Vets to exchange information.

Four California State Vets are in town to investigate a positive horse at Empire Polo Club (17 miles from the HITS grounds) that was euthanized on Monday. They emphasized that the exposure potential for horses on the HITS Show grounds was extremely „low risk‰. The polo club has been quarantined and locked down for 21days of monitoring and cautionary actions.

HITS staff has instituted precautionary actions.

*No daily ship-ins allowed effective immediately.
*Upon arrival of horses to the show grounds, full disclosure for each horse as to where it comes from, where it has been and what contact with other horses it has had.
*Keep control of contact among horses.
*Procedures laid out for horse owners to take the temperature of each horse twice a day. An unexplained fever of 102 or higher should be reported to Dr. Peters, Hagyard Vet Clinic on grounds, for evaluation.
*In a precautionary measure, horses in question will be relocated to one of several isolation stalls currently being erected on the grounds for further evaluation.

The California State Vets emphasis that the risk of exposure is extremely low for HITS competitors and stated that normal precautionary measure should be continued. They reiterated there is no reason to panic and over react.

When directly asked, „Is the HITS show a safe place to bring horses to compete for the Circuit?‰ ALL four of the vets quickly and emphatically answered, „YES, the risk is low and being monitored by all of us and the State. Information will be quickly relayed to horseman. Keep checking the California Department of Food and Agriculture web site for updates.‰

For more information go to www.cdfa.ca.gov (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov) , click on the EHV-I on the top right. The state vets will keep the updates current.

HITS will keep you informed of any new information.

Del Mar Horsepark (via the SD CDS chapter):
Due to the EHV-1 outbreak, Del Mar Horsepark is abiding by the recommended 21-day shutdown, which means horses will not be allowed to enter the facility for 21 days, and horses that leave the facility will not be allowed to return. As a result, our February show must be cancelled. At this point, we expect to hold our June show. We have several viable options that we are exploring and will make a formal announcement once we have something finalized. Those who have already paid for the February Show will receive refunds. Questions? Contact Show Manager Lisa Blaufuss.

I'm wondering if Showpark is on quarantine this time too? Does anyone know?

FLIPPED HER HALO
Mar. 23, 2012, 06:17 PM
The CDFA has just posted an announcement for March 23 that another horse has been confirmed positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of EHV-1 in Monterey County.

This is the third positive horse since March 14 (two in Monterey and one in San Diego counties), and all three horses participated in the HITS Thermal Horse Show (March 5-11). CDFA continues to monitor the situation.

Chef Jade
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:02 PM
Why don't they report the actual location of these horses? Doesn't the general public deserve to know so they can take additional precautions if needed? I heard rumor of which barn in Monterey but would like to be able to confirm. My barn had a sale horse stabled with the rumored infected barn and people were back and forth between their stalls and our stalls during the horse show. :eek:

Peggy
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:46 PM
I had heard rumors of a third case, but don't remember if it was supposedly in northern or southern California.

ChefJade - Someone explained why they don't release the name of the venue back in post #41. Sometimes you can figure out by Googling--that's how I figured out that the "Riverside case" was at the Indio Polo Grounds via the Polo Blogs shortly before it was widely publicized. The venue can choose to out itself. Maybe ask your trainer to call the suspect barn and ask directly?

FAW
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
Comfirmed. Another horse in Monterey County California. Was at Thermal Week 6

FAW
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
And this is just from California. There were barns from at least 8 other states and 2 countries there

Chef Jade
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
I still don't get why/how someone can be susceptible to a lawsuit for reporting factual information. :confused: It seems like the state is opening itself up to additional liability for NOT reporting where these cases are located.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
I still don't get why/how someone can be susceptible to a lawsuit for reporting factual information. :confused: It seems like the state is opening itself up to additional liability for NOT reporting where these cases are located.

The state does identify the Thermal horse show in its reporting. I would think then it would be up to the boarding stables where the infected horses are stabled to inform their boarders of the presence of a sick horse.

FAW
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
California Dept of Ag on their web site states that all three horse with EHV-1 were at Thermal March 6-11

Chef Jade
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:59 PM
Yes, but that isn't where they were when they were diagnosed nor where they are currently residing.

JustJump
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:11 PM
I would guess it might be pretty important to know where they were when diagnosed, and where they have been when displaying clinical signs of the disease.

Kestrel
Mar. 25, 2012, 11:44 PM
This is from the Pilchuck Vet Hospital site:

http://www.pilchuckvet.com/articles/ehv-update-

Peggy
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
This is from the Pilchuck Vet Hospital site:

http://www.pilchuckvet.com/articles/ehv-update-Link doesn't work as in original post; the dash at the end has to be part of the URL. I fixed it in the quote in this post. And, yes, the horses were at Thermal:(.

Kestrel
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the fix, Peggy. And of course another trainer at our barn insisted on holding a clinic and bringing in outside horses this weekend, even knowing about this.

Peggy
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the fix, Peggy. And of course another trainer at our barn insisted on holding a clinic and bringing in outside horses this weekend, even knowing about this.You're welcome. The same thing happened when I posted the link on FB and I can't fix it there.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 30, 2012, 11:58 PM
In Off Course, there's a thread claiming Washington State is now up to four cases; three of the sick horses came from HITS Thermal.

Peggy
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:01 AM
And there is a case in L.A. County that may be secondary exposure to a horse that was at HITS:http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/equine_herpes_virus.html

I know of a case at a public stable in Rolling Hills Estates (now in a vet hospital to the north), but do not know if this is the same one as on the CDFA site and the CDFA site refers to a mare and my sources indicate that the Rolling Hills Estates case is a gelding.

Kestrel
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:05 AM
Pilchuck has reported 4 cases, 3 primary and 1 secondary. Go to their web site or facebook page for more info.

Here's today's update:

Quick update and clarifications from Dr. Mollat!

For those that were at the HITS Week 6 show (March 5-11), we recommend continuing increased biosecurity precautions for three weeks from the date your horses left the Thermal show grounds. If no suspect/ confirmed cases arise within this three-week period, your barn should be safe to return to regular business.
Unless there are new developments over the weekend, beginning Monday, April 2, PVH will ease its elective case restrictions on horses that participated in the HITS Week 6 show.
The barns with confirmed cases will remain under voluntary quarantine for three weeks following the last-known positive case.

You can go to the Pilchuck Vet facebook page for updates.

Mardi
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:45 PM
Why don't they report the actual location of these horses? Doesn't the general public deserve to know so they can take additional precautions if needed?

The vet treating the case in San Diego chose not to release the horse's location. According to the CDFA March 30 update, that horse has recovered and is out of quarantine.