PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk SSS one more time?

PanCake
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:02 PM
I have neighbors who have 3 dogs and 3 puppies running loose. (Soon to be more puppies, I'm sure :no:) They cross my farm regularly and have been seen miles from home running about freely. They have killed two of my barn kitties, barked at my horses, and harass/killed my other neighbors chickens. As soon as my kitty was attacked we told the neighbors what happened and they pretty much laughed in our faces. These are not nice people, and been rude/hateful to us since we bought the farm next door to them.

Tonight one of the dogs crossed the fence and started barking at me for no reason. This makes me very angry! I never allow my animals on their property and expect that they should do the same. (Of course this is not a perfect world and people dont always do as they should).

There is no animal control in our county and I feel just helpless. I have no problem shooting these dogs, because I feel they are a danger to my animals (and myself). Here comes the big BUT. I have a feeling that if we shoot their dogs, they will retaliate by doing something to our horses, dogs, or even our property. (I repeat these are NOT nice people). Its not like I can do it quietly either, because its hard to conceal a gunshot, and the squealing that often times accompanies it. I'm at a loss and just dont know what to do, but am tired of feeling threatened. As a side note, I've thought about trapping, but these dogs are really wise.

What would the cothers do in this situation?

hundredacres
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:18 PM
I agree that shooting them would probably result in retaliation, considering the kind of people they seem to be. Can you get the sheriff involved?

cutter99
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
Can you catch them and relocate them- preferably to a shelter a couple counties away??? At least there they would be spayed, neutered and hopefully adopted!

Watermark Farm
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
Quietly load the dog in your car, drive it to Animal Control shelter in a neighboring county and surrender it as a stray. That's what I did multiple times with a neighbor's dogs who kept coming over despite our pleas. I don't have the heard to shoot an innocent dog. This way the dogs disappeared and they had at least a chance at a different life.

The neighbors never even bothered to look for them.

BeeHoney
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Quietly load the dog in your car, drive it to Animal Control shelter in a neighboring county and surrender it as a stray. That's what I did multiple times with a neighbor's dogs who kept coming over despite our pleas. I don't have the heard to shoot an innocent dog. This way the dogs disappeared and they had at least a chance at a different life.

The neighbors never even bothered to look for them.

Yes, exactly. I assume these dogs aren't wild, so get yourself some dog treats and a choke collar and leash, set your anger aside and use your best sugar sweet poopsie-woo doggie speak, catch the dogs and quietly surrender them as strays at FAR AWAY animal shelters. Trapping doesn't have to involve traps, either, lure them into your barn or a stall with some food and shut the door.

JanM
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
Forget the dog treats. I would make them my buddy with big, cheap cuts of raw meat. And then do what BeeHoney suggests. And use a fake name at the shelter, and at least a few hours away.

EqTrainer
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
I refuse to give my name when I drop them off ;)

Equine Studies
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Agree with catching and taking the dog(s) to a distant shelter. A bit of work and time but it's not the fault of the dogs the owners are morons.

rustbreeches
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:11 AM
Agree with catching and taking the dog(s) to a distant shelter. A bit of work and time but it's not the fault of the dogs the owners are morons.

Good rule of thumb is the 50 mile radius. Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Good luck

Belg
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
Crossbow.

JSjumper
Mar. 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Good luck

Good rule of thumb I guess? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Good rule of thumb is the 50 mile radius. Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Good luck

I just got into trouble at work (well not really) laughing out loud at this. Seems like sensible advice.

ladybugred
Mar. 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yet another vote for catch and release (at a shelter, far far away)

If only that would work with the neighbours children!

LBR

CHT
Mar. 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
It is 6 dogs though...and I doubt they will stop getting dogs when these 6 vanish. I think you would run out of animal shelters to drop them off at.

Can you put up some feild fence where they are mostly likely to cross on to your property to discourage them?

kookicat
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
Can you run a low hot wire where they're getting through?

spook1
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
RB.... Good rule of thumb is the 50 mile radius. Never cheat on your spouse or dump the neighbor's dogs at a shelter in this range.

Too funny and true!!!!! good advice:lol:

GotMyPony
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:18 PM
I bought a thing called a "Dazer." It's about the size of a TV remote, fits in a pocket. When you press the button it makes that high-pitched noise that dogs hate but we can't hear. I got it when we had a neighbor with loose dogs that acted aggressive when we walked past every morning - it sure did turn those suckers away! It could be a good way to teach the dogs that your place hurts! Stay away! Of course you'd want to avoid using it if your own dogs were around at the time...
I've also used it on horseback - dogs don't normally bother me or my horse but sometimes you get one or two that really act threatening and the Dazer turns them away without doing them harm. The sound didn't seem to affect the horses at all.
Anyway, it might turn the dogs away from your farm and nobody has to be the wiser, no no retaliation...

Tamara in TN
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:30 PM

no, death in a shelter(near or far) is almost certain...better to spare them that suffering...imo

and legally/morally, one is theft and the other is defending your property from loss

Tamara

rustbreeches
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
The 50 mile radius was shared with me by an amazing farrier in VA! Very, very wonderful guy with quite a bit of good advice!

I would never cheat on Mr. Breeches. It took me kissing a lot of frogs to find him!

GypsyQ
Mar. 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
If you take them to a shelter in another locale, do not admit they are from another county. Many shelters cannot take animals from outside the county. Say something like you found them on Route X near town Y in the shelter's county.

tazz001
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
Around here and dog running or bothering livestock of any short can be shot w/o any repurcussions. Call your local PD and verify for your area.

Do what I do, shoot 'em and call the dog owner to pick up the carcass and explain...their dog or a huge vet bill...follow up with a call to the PD to let them know you shot a dog that was distressing your livestock

lorilu
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'd call the PD before I shot..... just to CYA.

L

Calamber
Mar. 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
Around here and dog running or bothering livestock of any short can be shot w/o any repurcussions. Call your local PD and verify for your area.

Do what I do, shoot 'em and call the dog owner to pick up the carcass and explain...their dog or a huge vet bill...follow up with a call to the PD to let them know you shot a dog that was distressing your livestock

You must have missed that the OP is afraid of retaliation. All of the legal ways to deal with this, ie animal control (does not exist<read the OP), and or shooting are not going to work and will put OP in greater danger since the neighbors are as they are. I would just remove the dogs to another county/shelter as has been advised.

morsekg
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Growing up we had this huge malamute a couple houses down that would jump fences to harass our little westie. My dad would shoot it in the butt with an air gun. With a big dog it's just enough to scare them but not enough to truly injure them. He usually only had to do it once a year or so. It's also really quiet, so he could stick the barrel out the backdoor in our neighborhood and no one would know.

Hinderella
Mar. 19, 2012, 02:27 PM
Why is there no animal control? I guess I'm lucky to live in high tax New England, where we ahve such things.
It's not the fault of the dogs that they're running loose, so I certainly don't condone shooting them. Not to mention that such a solution will be ineffective if the "owners" will just get more dogs.
Why not sue them? The possibility of facing a money judgment is often more incentive for people like that, than anything else you come up with.

Epona142
Mar. 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
There is no animal control in my area. Just a livestock officer who is honestly fairly useless.

I had dogs get into my pasture and kill my very expensive Nigerian Dwarf buckling, and seriously maim my adult buck so badly he had to be put down, along with biting several of my does.

I shot the dogs, made a police report, and you can be damned sure I would have sued for lost value.

My goats are not just beloved pets but breeding livestock. I lost a networth of approximately $700 in just those two bucks, along with around $400 in vet bills. Not even counting the loss of value for the offspring the bucks would have made on my does. I then had to replace them to keep my breeding on track - I was lucky to have another buck I could lease so my schedule wasn't screwed, which would have been MORE loss in kids and milk.

I was unable to sue because these dogs were dumped in our area. But the reason for suing is LOSS OF VALUE. Not because I just feel like suing a dog owner.

Back when I was raising poultry, a dog got in and destroyed 30 laying hens. I actually caught the dog and released it back to the owners with the warning that next time I even *see* it, it's dead. They paid the value of 30 adult laying hens - I let go the cost of lost eggs, as the bill was quite high already, and they were honestly contrite and paid up without a squeak of protest. So I'm not a dog killer monster...unless I have to be. I have every right to protect MY pets from "yours."