PDA

View Full Version : Jump exercise suggestions for 4 pr. standards

cyriz's mom
Mar. 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm trying to come up with exercises to do with horse who's starting to jump again after 3 years of only dressage. He was a Prelim eventer prior to that.

Constraint is there are currently only 4 prs. of standards available where we're jumping him.

He is extremely smart and it's been amazing, he is jumping better now than 4 years ago (his last event). I'm sure the 4th level dressage work helped! So, I don't want to repeat the same exercises a lot. He's jumping approx 2x/week.

So far, we've done vert - oxer 4 stride, oxer and vert on a circle, a bounce to 2 stride oxer, and x, vertical 3 stride oxer gymnastic.

Today was was bounce/oxer exercise and the oxer ended up about 4' with about 4' spread. Not an issue!!!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Bent Hickory
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
Set a line and two diagonal singles. With the diagonal singles set properly, you can squeeze out two bending lines as well.

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
I did this exercise in a lesson a few months back, it was pretty awesome...taught the horse to wait for you instead of anticipating which way you were going

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/nicolemorgans/Untitled-6.jpg

Then there's the ever faithful + jump set up :)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/nicolemorgans/Untitled-4.jpg

two sticks
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h283/srs2712/jumps.jpg

I agree with 2 diagonal lines- gives you the option of bending lines plus roll backs,

as well as the x/cross type set up, where you can make clover leaf, circles, etc.

I made a little diagram (above).

I also have Linda Allen's 101 Jumping Exercises which is great.

CHT
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:25 PM
What does the horse need to improve on?

a simple exercise I like is just two small jumps set as far apart as my ring will allow, and then work on adding or leaving out strides. You can vary this by doing a circle between the jumps (and can even put another jump at the middle on the other side of the ring so you jump it on the circle), or doing a trot transition and trotting the second jump.

Also setting up a combination of three jumps, usually set as 2 three strides, where one section of the line is set shorter than the other, so one way you ride it you have to jump in forward, and hold going out, and the other way you hold going in, and then press going out.

Bending lines where you either ride both jumps coming perpendicularly and bend the line, or straighten the line and jump both jumps and angles to do so.

OveroHunter
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
I did this exercise in a lesson a few months back, it was pretty awesome...taught the horse to wait for you instead of anticipating which way you were going

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/nicolemorgans/Untitled-6.jpg

Then there's the ever faithful + jump set up :)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l182/nicolemorgans/Untitled-4.jpg

I feel stupid, but I'm really lost with that first diagram!

ETA: Is it two outside 5 stride lines, 2 inside singles and a line up the middle with a bounce to a 4 stride?

cyriz's mom
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks! Those are some great ideas.

Meadow36
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
You can also set up four single jumps in a circle - about 60 feet in diameter, bigger if you're not comfortable at first. Go both directions, count your strides, practice leaving one out, adding one in, etc...

DMK
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Well, it's just not useful without an oxer, so in my world you would be down to 3 fences. I'd probably set up a diagonal single to an outside line (a 5 is useful in that it easily translates to a 5 or lets you do the add), where every fence could be jumped both ways, then move the diagonal single (easy to do) so it varied off the left or right lead or could be positioned to be part of a bending line.

But that is mostly useful if you are trying to work on flow and pace. If you are trying to work on the mechanics of jumping, then those 4 standards probably need to be part of an 18 to 21 gymnastic (x to vertical to oxer).

Then you could probably make the 18 to 21 an 18 (x to oxer or vertical) on an outside line and set up a single vertical or oxer so you could jump from oxer to gymnastic and gymnastic to single, or figure 8 over the single and periodically trot back through the gymnastic.

dab
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:35 PM
Figure 8 over 2 fences (verticals or oxers) to teach landing leads
_|

Circle of death
...|
_ ...._

...|

Angled 2 (or more) strides
.|
......|
||

Gymnastics ...
| | ||

Angled fences near the centerline give lots of jumping options if you want to simulate courses -- Use them as singles or combine with a fence on an outside line for a bending line --
|...... |
\ ....../

Line them up and jump them on a serpentine
_ _ _ _

Angle them to ride circles between them

\ / \ /

Check out books by Linda Allen or Jim Wofford

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:41 AM
I feel stupid, but I'm really lost with that first diagram!

ETA: Is it two outside 5 stride lines, 2 inside singles and a line up the middle with a bounce to a 4 stride?

Its a bounce to a 5 stride bending line either way, or a 4 stride straight ahead.

It is supposed to be done with a grounds person (or trainer) telling you left, right , or straight. Encourages the horse and rider to stay straight over the fence and not anticipate a turn.

OveroHunter
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Its a bounce to a 5 stride bending line either way, or a 4 stride straight ahead.

It is supposed to be done with a grounds person (or trainer) telling you left, right , or straight. Encourages the horse and rider to stay straight over the fence and not anticipate a turn.

Sounds like fun! I should email that to my trainer :D

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
it was definitely different! I'd never done an exercise like that before (it was a new trainer).

I will mention that my dyslectic sister was hilarious...We finally did "straight, purple flowers, red flowers" lol.

cyberbay
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Not sure if you're really asking about how to have enough jumps with few jump materials? If so, sometimes 'sharing' a standard can work: set a jump, and then use one of the standards to do double duty for another jump. You'll have to turn that shared standard, and cup may be a touch loose, but just fiddle.

You can jump these 2 jumps any ole way, but it is a way to use less materials.

Herbie19
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:27 PM

Love this! But it definietly takes more that eight standards. That being said, off to build! :)

vineyridge
Mar. 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
One eventing exercise you can do is threading the needle with two offset jumps for an in and out with only one place that the horse has a straight shot. Kim Severson did this in a clinic that I saw and I was much impressed.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
I am 100% with DMK. YOu cannotwork on a horse without an oxer.

The oxer is your most useful jump. It can be ramped, square, swedish, a corner -- it is 4 jumps in 1.

I would use your standards like this:

............................I

II

......................................I

[dots are placeholders]

With this placement you can jump any of the jumps off a short corner or on a long run. Or you can do bending lines in both direction -- Oxer to vertical and vertical to oxer.

Since this horse is coming back to eventing and you have so few standards I have left out a gymnastic. But if you want to start with one for a week or 2 before moving on to singles, do an X to a vertical to an oxer. Depending on his jumping problems, you can move the gymnastic in or out and widen the and/or raise the oxer.