PDA

View Full Version : Quick! County stabilizer people

Meadow36
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:06 AM
I'm looking at two used Stabilizer saddles ... one is labeled as a size 3 tree and one a size 4 .... both owners are calling the tree "medium" - can someone explain the sizing to me? These are older saddles, one is a 2000 the other is a 2003.

I'm looking for the one that will fit the most horses. I ride a few different types, I'm not looking to fit just one horse.

Ainsley688
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
The 3 is a MW and the 4 is a W. :-)

Meadow36
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
The 3 is a MW and the 4 is a W. :-)

That is exactly what I thought, but I couldn't confirm it online anywhere. Thanks for that info!!! :) I think I'm going with the 3.

mvp
Mar. 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
I think 3 corresponds to their M, not MW.

They have 5 sizes, numbers or N to W.

MorganJumper848
Mar. 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
I don't really understand why they are giving you numbers the tree size is stamped on the flap. XN,N,MN,M,MW,W,XW

pinkeqs
Mar. 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
They are very helpful...you can give them the serial number and they can tell you exactly what year it was made, flap, and tree width. If I'm not mistaken, the numbers correspond with the saddler who made the saddle...

The saddle should have the tree width stamped next to the seat size.

mvp
Mar. 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
I don't really understand why they are giving you numbers the tree size is stamped on the flap. XN,N,MN,M,MW,W,XW

Because County used to use a numbering system, not letters.

pattnic
Mar. 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
MorganJumper848 - County used to use a number system instead of their current (and more standard) letter system.

I'm pretty sure that mvp is right on what the numbers mean.

1 = Narrow
2 = Medium-Narrow
3 = Medium
4 = Medium-Wide
5 = Wide

JB
Mar. 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
3rd the numbering relationship there. 5 is most definitely a Wide in County-speak

Meadow36
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks, I had an older County once and it was definately a number system; but I couldn't remember what they correspond to size-wise. I know the newer ones use letters.

alto
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Call County with the serial numbers, they will be able to tell you the panel configuration & any non-standard changes made to the saddle when it was ordered ...

Note that although County uses N,M,W etc for their trees, a M tree in an Innovation will be a different width than a M tree in a Stabilizer & so on; the same applies to how the seats may be sized.

seeuatx
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:56 PM
As others have said the 4 is technically a MW. But I have found their MW/W is on the wider side, so the size 4 tree County Competitor I have fits more like a W in most brands. The 5 will fit closer to XW.

JB
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
It is absolutely true that you cannot compare one brand's W to the next brand's W.

I do agree that the County 5 is a good bit wider than many off the shelf brands' Wide. A Wide Collegiate, for example, is a joke on my WB gelding's back. A #5 County is a glove fit. It's akin to about a 38cm Prestige.

mvp
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah, County knows what a Wide is. Not all saddle makers do.

I'd have to have a horse I needed a 5/W for before I bought a saddle with this tree. In the OP's spot with a few Officially thick horses, I might chose a 4/MW and borrow from my considerable Half Pad Library if I needed to.

Hunter Mom
Mar. 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
Off to check out DDs County for markings.

MorganJumper848
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:30 AM
I had a county rep out recently and she said the stabilizer wide is a normal wide and compares to most brands. My innovation on the other hand fits like one size bigger than a MW.

Meadow36
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
It has always been my feeling that the County Stabilizers fit one size larger then what's marked (look at all the people that have "medium narrows" - most of those horses would be a true medium in another saddle). I'm not sure if that holds true for their other models. If I could afford a new model (someday!) then I would test ride the Innovation or the Conquest.

KateWooten
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
Seriously, nobody cares whether the 4 or the 3 is called a M or a MW or whether a MW County is the same width as a MW Albion ... Put the saddle on the Horse and Try it. Don't buy any saddle without a full trial. More than one ride. Every horse and every saddle and every rider is different. You can set the same saddle up for one horse and it rides great, set the same saddle up for the same rider on a different rider and it can be horrible for both.

Try the saddle.

JB
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
Kate, that's all well and good if the saddle is in the same place as the horse ;)

KateWooten
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
Yes, but don't commit to buying it long distance until you've tried it on the horse ! Make sure you have a trial policy. (Or of course, make sure it's sufficiently well-priced that you're sure you can resell it again quickly).

I'm trying not to be too snippy (and failing, I know ... ) you'd be amazed - when you take the saddle apart and actually measure the points, there's a HUGE variation between one maufacturer's Wide and the next. It's not a guide you can refer to at all!

Meadow36
Mar. 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
Actually - I care, which is why I started the thread. I was looking for opinions on which tree would fit a variety of horses (see original post). It is very relevant to discuss the variations in models, since they all fit so differently.

MorganJumper848
Mar. 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
You could always have a rep come out and fit your horse and then you would know the tree size you need. That is what I would do.

Meadow36
Mar. 17, 2012, 01:21 PM
Again, I am not looking to fit one horse (see original post and post 22).

Thanks to those that helped, I got the info I needed to make my decision.

alto
Mar. 18, 2012, 02:04 AM
Actually - I care, which is why I started the thread. I was looking for opinions on which tree would fit a variety of horses (see original post). It is very relevant to discuss the variations in models, since they all fit so differently.

It really depends on what type of horses you ride - a saddle that is too wide can be more disturbing to the horse than a saddle that is too narrow: if you want to ride a bunch of different horses, then invest in a collection of narrow, med & wide saddles, then add in some straighter & curvier trees ...
:sigh:

mvp
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
I had a county rep out recently and she said the stabilizer wide is a normal wide and compares to most brands. My innovation on the other hand fits like one size bigger than a MW.

Yes, the Innovation tends to fit wider in the same tree than the stabilizer. IMO, the have different designs with regard to fitting the horse-- even when both are pronounced to fit.

It has always been my feeling that the County Stabilizers fit one size larger then what's marked (look at all the people that have "medium narrows" - most of those horses would be a true medium in another saddle). I'm not sure if that holds true for their other models. If I could afford a new model (someday!) then I would test ride the Innovation or the Conquest.

'K, I get your situation. What can help you is to let us know what other kinds of saddles fit or fail to. COTHers who know County saddles and the others you have can help you compare.

Yeah, just saw an M Crosby Prix Des Nations this weekend and was shocked. The underside kinda sorta looked like it knew that a 1,000 animal with some withers was going to fit under there. When did I think that was a good shape/size for every horse I put my old PdN on?