PDA

View Full Version : Another one for the truck gurus

monstrpony
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
97 F250 PSD. Was pulling to the left on braking. Dealer mechanic says the brake calipers are grabbing, front brakes need to be replaced. These were *ahem* original brakes, 88K miles on the truck even if it is 15 years old. So, new rotors, calipers, pads, hoses. Using after-market was ~$200 less than using Ford parts; also would have had to wait on the Ford parts. Went w/ after-market. Anyone see a serious problem with this?

In light of the other thread, what else should I be keeping an eye on (given that brakes are new, what nearby out-of-spec part might become a problem next)?

Pcostx
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
I would post this on the Horse Trailer World Forum, you'll get a ton of great info.

Here is the link: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/forum-view.asp?forumid=2

There are a lot of Truck gurus on that forum.

HoofaSchmigetty
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
What can go next? It's a FORD....Could be anything!!!

GoForAGallop
Mar. 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
Aftermarket parts are absolutely positively 100% fine, unless you bought them out of the back of a van or something. In fact, many of the times, they're BETTER than the originals....my entire Jeep has been upgraded with aftermarket parts, mainly cause the brakes the factory put on couldn't stop a tricycle. My towing truck got upgraded brakes too, built to the specs of the entire load weight, not just the weight of the truck alone.

New breaks shouldn't affect things too much, they don't change the position of much else. It's when you start replacing joints and such that other parts start crapping out on you, cause stuff gets just imperceptibly unequal.

FLeventer
Mar. 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
What can go next? It's a FORD....Could be anything!!!

Better then a Dodge. Those are the real problem trucks.

Hinderella
Mar. 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
After market is fine. Even though the truck has only 88K miles, you say it's 15 years old. That sounds like a lot of time sitting around unused, and that in itself can cause things to break down, as will the passage of time.

You should take a good look an anything made of soft material....hoses, in particular can break down over time, even without a lot of miles.