PDA

View Full Version : Would love to see pics of any homemade mesh type stall doors!

everafterfarm
Mar. 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
I would like to replace my half stall doors with full mesh type ones. Anyone ever make them? I just really can't justify spending 500+ on each door to buy them from a stall place. Only interested in mesh ones as these are for stalls that will have babyfeet living in them, so no bars. Was thinking about using some of my extra no-climb and framing it in nicely. Would love to see pics or hear any ideas.

Robin@DHH
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Sorry, not good at pictures. We have homemade stall doors
with diamond mesh for the top half. Have had these since
1994 and they are holding up well. I don't think they
would work for full doors as the mesh would get bent by
horses pawing at it.
One possible thing to look for would be doors or dividers
removed from jails. We saw some at a junk dealer's place
that were 1-1.5" mesh made with metal wire that was
maybe half an inch in diameter. Junk dealers was offering
to sell it for only a bit more than scrap metal price. THe
trick would be finding somewhere that is renovating a jail.

Bluey
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
One of our local vets has a whole barn made out of thick chain link panels, even the front is a whole gate, easy to get a small tractor in there to lift or pull a horse out if needed.

All still look like new, even after all these years of use.

Chain link comes in different gauges, just find a thicker one for horse stalls.
You will have to make the ends very much horse proof, as those can be very sharp.

When I asked our vet if horses would not bend that mesh, he said better the mesh bend than a horse that may hit it.

There is some square welded wire that is used today in many veterinary clinics and upscale barns that looks very interesting.
Google "mesh stalls" and you will find several models.

That metal ought to be easy to find and not be expensive.
The fabrication to make stalls out of anything is where the cost is.

Found some:

http://www.lucasequine.com/stallfronts.html

FoxChaser
Mar. 15, 2012, 03:12 PM
I had mine made by a local welder who used to work for Lucas Equine, so they are of the exact same caliber. Check them out on my CMH link on my sig line. If you are anywhere near KY, I can give you contact information for my stall door/ screen guy :)

Bluey
Mar. 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
I had mine made by a local welder who used to work for Lucas Equine, so they are of the exact same caliber. Check them out on my CMH link on my sig line. If you are anywhere near KY, I can give you contact information for my stall door/ screen guy :)

Can't see your page, is under password.:(

How do you like them?
I think they are one of the better, safer solutions for confining horses today, where they can have more airflow and see all that is going around while stalled and people walking down the aisles can see the whole horse in the stall and notice so much more than in front closed stalls.
No bars anywhere for a horse to get hung up on.

Wish I had known about them when we built ours.

Did you find anything against that kind of mesh use?

pluvinel
Mar. 16, 2012, 06:10 AM
Frey Brothers

http://www.freybrothersinc.com/estalls.php

jackson123
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
As we discuss the square vs diamond shaped wire mesh, what kind of sizes are we talking about?

How big are the openings in this screening and the panels? Also, how thick is the wire? Wire Diameter?

I was thinking maybe something like this 6 x 6 welded wire mesh seen here?
http://www.bwire.com/

The openings are probably small enough so that nothing harmful would be able to get through, and I think this material is strong enough to hold the boys inside the pen....

Any opinions on sizing when it comes to the wire mesh?

Thanks for the help guys.

everafterfarm
Mar. 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far. I wouldn't mind buying new doors if there were some good ones for less than $300. Also anyone use the mesh gates that look like they are fairly tall, look in the pics like a bit taller than a half door?

E D
Mar. 17, 2012, 03:45 AM
My barn is nothing more than a converted cattle shed/pole barn. We added stalls dividers using 2" x 8" wood to 4' high and wire cattle panels cut to fit above that. I actually ordered stall fronts with doors and when they came from the manufacturer, couldn't use them. Each one of my stall openings were very different in size. So I had a welder come out and we made stall gates out of 1 inch steel square tubing, the heaviest gauge available, and welded on sections of horse wire panels cut to fit. The welder mounted a 4" long section of larger round steel tubing in several places on one side of the gate. These were the catches to slide hinge pins on once they were drilled into the posts. Most welders can provide the 1" stock steel for the framework of the gate. Be sure to add cross pieces to reinforce the frame and support the wire panel. The wire horse panel stuff comes in 5' x 20' panels and is available at many fence and farm supply places. You would want the heaviest gauge you can find and that would not be TSC's horse wire panel. Just hang one hinge pin (also available at fence and farm supply places) up and the others down to prevent horses from lifting the gate off. Mine have been around for about fifteen years. I have young stock who like to dismantle things, so a couple have not survived as well as others, so I am still friends with my welder.

dogponyshow
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:57 AM
I love the idea of mesh doors in the summer, but what about the wind blowing the shavings out?

Bluey
Mar. 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
I love the idea of mesh doors in the summer, but what about the wind blowing the shavings out?

Years ago we made some portable stalls that were solid bottoms and the upper half expanded mesh.
We have fierce winds, but the wind didn't seem to pick up the bedding and blow it around.

Now, if the bottoms, all but the last 12" were mesh, that is a good question.

We didn't like the expanded mesh too well and it was not as much airflow as the 2" or smaller but thick wire mesh seems to be, that I much prefer.
Bigger holed mesh I think a foal could get a foot caught in there.

I also would like to know if in our winds, those kinds of mesh may have a problem with dust flying around in our dry, windy summer days.