PDA

View Full Version : Lease Contract and Considerations of things to Include

alteringwego
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
Anyone able to offer up a sample lease contract for a show horse? The only one I have is for an in barn lease of lesson horse. This would be an off farm lease of a show horse.

Any recommendations of things to include that I might be forgetting? Thanks!

alteringwego
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
bump

findeight
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
Try the search function for "lease contracts". Comes up every few weeks on here. It should turn up a link to a site with actual leases and other legal forms related to equines. Your trainer and/or your leassors trainer ought to have some in the files as well, they lease all the time.

If you list all situations everybody suggests it'll end up being 17 pages long. Suffice it to say get the money up front and require insurance-treat it like a business transaction and deal only with those known to you as trustworthy. Then check up on them often.

gallopinggal
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
I don't have an example but here are some things I included when when i leased someone's horse.

How long is the lease?
Is it free lease or paid?
What costs is the leasee responsible for?
If an accident happens to the horse, who pays for vet bills?
If the horse dies, what does the leasee do (I.e. I said that if the horse died in my care I would pay the owners the value of the horse which was $1800)?
Is it mandatory that I stick with the same farrier and vet that he owner uses or can I use my own?
Am I allowed to take the horse off the mane stabling grounds?
If it is an in-barn/shared lease, how many days a week do I get to ride?
If using tack provided by owner you might want to take note of the condition of the tack before you use it so that incase you give it back with damage you can both agree what sort of payment you'll give them for their damanged goods.
Is it possible to extend the lease if I Want to?

These are all some questions that need to be answered in the contract. My experience with the horse I leased was bitter sweet. She was a wonderful mare but the owner didn't always take care of her the best before I got her. She rode her too long, too often and the mare was VERY skinny when I got her. She rode her in a harsh bit which was very unnecassary as the mare was a kids horse.

The owner would call me and tell me how to take care of the horse and tell me all the things I was doing wrong, as if i was a beginner. She wanted to use her horse when the horse was at MY house and she wanted me to haul the horse to a show at her barn so that she could ride it....:no:

In the end she took the horse back three months early because she was moving and the horse died a month later because she was being ridden hard on a steep trail, tripped, and a branch went through her skull and she bled to death. :no:

Good luck!:)

mbv
Mar. 23, 2012, 05:30 AM
In addition to the above details, I also like to have a clause about who is allowed to ride the horse while it is being leased. You can include leasee and trainer(s) and anyone else who you wouldn't mind riding the horse. If you want, you can also allow the leasee to add an authorized rider with the leasor's permission.
Of course people could still be riding the horse without the leasor's knowledge, but I feel like a clause like this gives people pause about letting the horse be used for lessons, etc.

RumoursFollow
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
I have one on my computer.. If you send me an email I will send you a copy later today. Saradanielhaynes@gmail.com