PDA

View Full Version : When to clip?

kbear
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
When would be the best time to clip for the Spring? (I'm from Ontario, Canada).
My horse doesn't have a big heavy coat, as he was clipped at the beginning of winter and has been pretty heavily blanketed since. He does, however, have some hair and as the weather is getting warmer, he is getting sweatier and sweatier when I ride. His coat looks amazing right now (super shiny, and he is starting to brighten up get dapply).

When's the best time to clip so I don't ruin his beautiful summer coat that is coming in?!

(I should also add that he must be clipped as he hardly sheds and needs to get clipped each spring - I clipped last year in May and I feel like his coat didn't grow back half as nice as it was before I clipped it!)

AmmyByNature
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Whenever you want! I had a horse who needed to be clipped throughout the summer, and he always looked shiny and great. If you have a nice healthy coat and a good grooming regime, you can clip whenever you want to.

TrakeGirl
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:33 AM
I clipped yesterday! Also didn't have a ton of hair b/c he had been clipped earlier in the winter, but same deal...highs in the 70's for the next week...he is so happy.

I normally clip around this time each year and each year I have nice shiny dapples by mid-May. :)

alto
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
When would be the best time to clip for the Spring? (I'm from Ontario, Canada).
My horse doesn't have a big heavy coat, as he was clipped at the beginning of winter and has been pretty heavily blanketed since. He does, however, have some hair and as the weather is getting warmer, he is getting sweatier and sweatier when I ride. His coat looks amazing right now (super shiny, and he is starting to brighten up get dapply).

When's the best time to clip so I don't ruin his beautiful summer coat that is coming in?!

(I should also add that he must be clipped as he hardly sheds and needs to get clipped each spring - I clipped last year in May and I feel like his coat didn't grow back half as nice as it was before I clipped it!)

Once the summer coat is coming in, you clip the (growing) tips which may affect your horses coat more or less, depending on the horse & the beholder (personally I've never seen a horse that didn't show a difference in coat quality).

If your horse is starting to shed that indicates new coat coming in so clip now rather than waiting - but then be prepared to blanket etc.
I believe the EMG boards (http://www.equiman.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm) & the Muck Bucket (http://www.themuckbucket.com/content.php) have a strong Ontario following so you should be able to get an idea of what people are doing locally.

westie55
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
I clip year round, whenever a horse needs. Their coats always look great!

JFJ
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
Clip whenever! I've never seen one and said, "Gee, they must have clipped him at the wrong time!" As long as you are grooming them and they are healthy you shouldn't have a problem.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:52 PM
I live in Buffalo, NY and we have "Ontario weather." I clip whenever horses need it, and I don't feel that it affects their coat quality at all. I just had my mare clipped on Monday, and she looks great.
One of my ponies even gets clipped a few times throughout the summer to keep her as cool (and clean) as possible.
A healthy coat is going to look nice regardless of when you clip. :)

ElisLove
Mar. 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have clipped my horse multiple times in May and my horse's coat always looked amazing not only right after, but also after the clip has grown out to normal length. I have NEVER had a horse look bad after a clip no matter when I did it.

kbear
Mar. 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Awesome...thanks! Looks like I'll be clipping whenever I get the time (and motivation) to do it

:)