PDA

View Full Version : Removing grass from riding arena

alliekat
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
We just moved to our new farm and are finally getting all settled in. The arena is a stone dust footing and has been allowed to get over grown with grass. What is the best way to remove the grass without messing us the foundation? If I pull a clump of grass up, the roots take so much dirt/footing with it. I tried spraying by hand round up but it didn't seem to do it's job (or maybe I didn't do it right) Is it best to hire someone and if so who would you hire to do it? I am at a loss of where to look for someone that will do it without ruining the ring. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

dressagedevon
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
if you are not against using harsh chemicals and the horses have no access to the area especially for a few weeks (grazing wise) then I reccomend cross-bow it kills everything and fast and NOTHING will grow back. I sprayed once in my ring two years ago and I'm still good and I keep hearing from everyone else that uses roundup that they have to spray several times a year. To me that's worse than one harsh hit.

alliekat
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
if you are not against using harsh chemicals and the horses have no access to the area especially for a few weeks (grazing wise) then I reccomend cross-bow it kills everything and fast and NOTHING will grow back. I sprayed once in my ring two years ago and I'm still good and I keep hearing from everyone else that uses roundup that they have to spray several times a year. To me that's worse than one harsh hit.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. The arena is fenced off so they don't have access to it so I may go that route. Once it kills the grass does it come up easily without pulling up the footing?
ETA where can it be purchased?