PDA

View Full Version : New Vespucci Bridle - oil or not?

Mayaty02
Mar. 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
I read some old posts on here that you are not supposed to oil Vespucci bridles. I was just going to do a light application of mink oil, any other suggestions? or do I leave it alone entirely? It does not need to darken, just needs to be softer. Thanks

fatappy
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
I oiled mine the same way I do all my bridles. I just soaked it in a bucket of oil and hung the pieces to dry. I think people have had some problems with the glue 'melting' during the oiling process. This didn't happen with mine, but knowing others have, if I had to do it again, I would brush the oil on in several light coats over the span of a few weeks.

I did have a crosby bridle where the oil melted, and it was a mess for months!!

hfxjumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
I have oiled mine and it's fine.

joiedevie99
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
I oiled one and it stretched like crazy. If I got one now, I would stick with one light application of conditioner.

Mayaty02
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
Good point, I can't afford to have it stretch because the checkpieces are already too long and need a hole punched...

BAC
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
After all the reports I have heard about glue leaking, stretching, etc. I wouldn't oil it all. Instead I would use CWD Cream Conditioner, which will soften, supple and darken beautifully, without all that oiliness. CWD sent a jar when I bought my saddle and its a great product.

I believe I have read on more than one occasion that Vespucci does not recommend oiling (same as Hadfields and some other manufacturers) their products. If you don't need to darken the bridle you could also use Leather Therapy Conditioner, recommended by Hadfields instead of oil.

Mayaty02
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
thanks guys, I did a light coating of mink oil and that's all I'm going to do. stretching is going to be an issue, but i absolutely love the bridle on the pony so I need to make it work (and it was on clearance!)