PDA

View Full Version : Supressing Mold on Barn

Trevelyan96
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on a SAFE (non toxic) way to treat the north side of my barn to help suppress mold? Its hideous looking and driving me crazy. I spray it with a bleach/water mixture every year, but it just keeps coming back because the north side of the barn is in perpetual shade.

Barn is oak/poplar and painted white. http://www.flickr.com/photos/76077084@N02/6979690559/

HPFarmette
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
I have a similar problem on my barn roof which is Ondura. i am going to place a strip of copper along the ridge which I think will help when the rainwater runs over it and changes its chemistry.

I believe there is a type of paint you can buy, maybe KILZ, that is more resisitant to mold growing.

Valentina_32926
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Yup - Paint with KillZ - kills mold and prevents it from coming back. You can get it in colors or paint it (white) then paint color over it.

Watermark Farm
Mar. 15, 2012, 08:36 PM
Yup - Paint with KillZ - kills mold and prevents it from coming back. You can get it in colors or paint it (white) then paint color over it.

Yes, do this and then also buy a mildew inhibitor for paint and mix that into your top coat. They make it for damp areas like bathrooms. I have the same issue with my north side.