PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy too chunky to show? UPDATE #116

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
This horse is supposedly a TWH but has no papers. He is a super comfortable ride, smart horse, and good guy. He can jump around a 2ft 6" course nicely, but I get a range of reactions to him - what a little tank, is there a draft horse in his background, what IS he? So I'm not sure if he's a fit for any hunter/jumper classes.

I don't know much about conformation, so I'd really appreciate any comments and feed back - please be honest, I won't offended. And any suggestions about what class might work for showing. Here are some pics:

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg553/Canterwell/HORSE2.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg553/Canterwell/Sunnyjump2.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg553/Canterwell/HORSE.jpg

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg553/Canterwell/17.jpg

OneGrayPony
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:30 AM
What a handsome boy! And look at that tail!

Reminds me of a Belgian/Paint cross that I once owned. Hot thing he was, but adorable adorable adorable.

No, he's not too fat. I like him!

kenyarider
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
Nice looking hunter and a cute jump. If he can do the lines, 3' would be a good division especially with the coloring. Good luck.

Pennywell Bay
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:36 AM
I don't think he is too fat at all. Front legs look even and snappy over the jump. One question, don't get offended, does his tail always do that?

QM2
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
I like my hunters fat and shiny. He looks good. Don't let him lose a lb. Can't believe that he's a TWH.

Does he have more than 3 paces?

MHM
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
He looks sweet!

If he can do his job well in a 2'6" or 3' hunter division, march on with it and have fun! :)

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
I don't think he is too fat at all. Front legs look even and snappy over the jump. One question, don't get offended, does his tail always do that?

Thanks, Penny -- do mean how his tail has a high carriage when he jumps? Yes, he always carries it pretty high, and it's noticeable when he jumps.

Or do you mean how long it is? He has a HUGE tail and I have to keep shortening it.

ChocoMare
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hubba Hubba.... just get out there and show! :yes: Who cares what "they" say anyway ;)

Phpft on them :D

Heart's Journey
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
Does he gait in between the jumps? I wouldn't think judges would like that much, but he does look very nice over the jumps

fairtheewell
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
He's so cool!! I love a horse with substance!!

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
I like my hunters fat and shiny. He looks good. Don't let him lose a lb. Can't believe that he's a TWH.

Does he have more than 3 paces?

Thanks, QM2 -- yes, he has W/T/C but he sometimes slips back into his 4-beat rocking horse TWH canter if he don't keep him forward. He gaits when he's turned out, and under saddle if he gets excited or stressed. The first time it happened, it felt like a big trot, but it was impossible to post - really weird. I asked my riding buddy what the horse as doing, and the reply was "He's racking!" - a term I had never heard before.

So he's been a bit of a training project, but surprisingly took to jumping really well.

Dewey
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
He's handsome and looks very well cared for. The two of you look good together, so show him and have fun.

GingerJumper
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:52 AM
As long as he doesn't gait and moves fairly well, I'd show him in the 2'6-3'. He's adorable! Can we clone him? :D I'm a sucker for TWHs...

Calvincrowe
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
Good golly, no he's not too fat or odd or whatever! What a looker! Hubba hubba is right!

If he has the step, jumps in good form and doesn't gait in the ring, then go for it!!

As an adult ammy, I want something safe, quiet and capable, breed be damned.

Jane Honda
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:53 AM
I'm in live with him!!! Don't change a thing about him.

Justa Bob
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
He cleans up good! Wouldn't change a thing - too bad if anyone looks askance. Just informs you about their limitations - not your lovely horse!

Lord Helpus
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:59 AM
I think he is darling. He might be a Clydesdale cross -- they come in that color. But draft crosses are becoming very popular now.

The only comment I have is that the bridle is not doing his head any favors. He has a, um, very noble head and the thin nose band which is too low, emphasize his, um, nobleness.

The easy thing you can do is to raise the noseband so it is right under his cheekbones (higher than you might normally think it should be) and make sure it is tight enough so it doesn't droop in front.

Try borrowing a thicker nose band to see if you like it better; but always make sure it sits high on his face.
My boy Petey has a noble head and I have found, by trial and error, that this is the look that minimizes it size:
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/PeteyPuppy/Oct212011CHP6head-1.jpg

spacytracy
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
[edit]

OP, you look great, your horse is adorable, [edit]

klmck63
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
He's darling! You need to take him to shows to show him off! He is not too fat, just nice and round and shiny. He reminds me of a draft cross, but if he gaits then that is probably not the most likely possibility.

ETA: I would take him in any hunter class that is at the right height that you are both eligible for. If he can make it down the lines I bet he would jump adorably over 3'.

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
He looks great. And so do you. Have fun! I'm in mid-tn and see lots of twh horses and your guy definitely has the breedy head. His body looks thicker which I love. And they have a great canter. Lots of twh can jump. Go for it.

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
I think he is darling. He might be a Clydesdale cross -- they come in that color. But draft crosses are becoming very popular now.

The only comment I have is that the bridle is not doing his head any favors. He has a, um, very noble head and the thin nose band which is too low, emphasize his, um, nobleness.

The easy thing you can do is to raise the noseband so it is right under his cheekbones (higher than you might normally think it should be) and make sure it is tight enough so it doesn't droop in front.

Try borrowing a thicker nose band to see if you like it better; but always make sure it sits high on his face.
My boy Petey has a noble head and I have found, by trial and error, that this is the look that minimizes it size:
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp25/PeteyPuppy/Oct212011CHP6head-1.jpg

Excellent suggestion, Lord Helpus, about the noseband. I like your term "Noble"! His head is definitely not pretty!

BeanCounterPony
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:48 AM
Awl I love him! He looks so sweet and a good boy :)
[edit]

magicteetango
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:54 AM
[edit] OP, gorgeous horse, I love his markings and well... Him in general! I really admire how clean and well turned out he looks in every pic... Great job!

Mags
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
Canterwell I think he's classic! He looks like a lot of fun. My horse has um, a Noble head also. I have a flat hunt bridle with a 1 1/2" nose band that realy helps him look his best. He's in my profile photo.

I say... You Show Girl! And have a great time while your out there!!!:)

Renn/aissance
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hideous horrible no good very bad horse. You should give him to me. ;)

He is cute as the dickens! As long as he doesn't rack in the show ring, he seems like he could be a very nice 2'6" hunter. If he does rack in the show ring, he should be turned out with your barn's hack winner, who hopefully will have a conversation about what we do and don't do here. :lol:

ohrebecca
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm in LOVE with him, and you guys make a GREAT pair!

And I don't think [he] is too chunky to show! <3

axl
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:03 PM
Lord Helpus gave great advice plus a lovely picture! I personally think every noseband should sit about the width of your pinky below the cheekbones; I find that flattering to every face. A wider noseband generally flatters the noble face.

[edit]

CaitlinandTheBay
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Ditto to everyone (especially about the noseband). He is so freaking adorable. I bet he's got a personality to match. Definitely a keeper.

[edit] Carry on and have fun with him! Y'all look great!

Justa Bob
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
[edit] great looking horse. He has a fantastic, intelligent, BEAUTIFUL head and a lovely rider.

Congrats -- and for being brave enough to post! Gotta have a thick skin around here.

paulaedwina
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:25 PM
Please see my signature. I think it applies here! He's beeeyootiful!

Paula

saddleup
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
I hold my breath when I open threads like this, and when I clicked on the first photo my first reaction was WOW! He's lovely....and as someone said, if you don't want him I'll take him!

I love a horse with substance.

Long Spot
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
I have a real thing for "noble" heads. (Great term!)

I am utterly charmed by his. He is adorable, and it looks like you two have a blast together.

Go guys go get 'em!

bluemooncowgirl
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:33 PM
The horse and rider, as a pair, are gorgeous. Go show and kick butt!

Alice
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Wonderful turnout on you both, adorable horse - he looks cute, safe and fun.

What's not to like?

I'd be proud to have you in my barn!

alto
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:42 PM
[edit]

Of course being a chunky horse, do watch for his warning fat deposit zones - I was so busy looking at FP's neck & ribs, I almost missed his "love handles" :eek: :uhoh: :o

joiedevie99
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
I'd put your handsome horse in a noseband like this one - 1.25" or 1.5" wide, but not thickly padded so it doesn't stick out. It's actually fitted quite nicely in the photo - 1-2 fingers below the cheek bone.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/rodrigo-fancy-stitched-wide-noseband-bridle-5760p.aspx

Hinderella
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
I think he's beautiful, and I love his "noble" head. Personally, I think horses with a head like that can really rock an old style flat bridle, but that's not the style at all in the show ring, unless you find a field hunter class.
While the tail flip may be a TWH thing, to me it just looks like a happy thing...like "look at me jump!"

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
[edit]

Of course being a chunky horse, do watch for his warning fat deposit zones - I was so busy looking at FP's neck & ribs, I almost missed his "love handles" :eek: :uhoh: :o

Yup, I do worry about his weight -- he gets no grain, only hay and a multi-vite/biotin supplement. He is the original air fern. Fortunately, I can ride almost every day, so I try to keep him on a good calorie burning routine!

[edit]

Sugarbrook
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
I LOVE everything about your guy. :D
[edt]

I posted a picture of the head of our TWH (yes, lol, we have had TWH's over the years and I love them) to show what the head of an older TWH looks like. Enjoy. OH Dear, its sideways. Sorry

BarbB
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
I think he is very attractive and athletic looking and I was impressed with his form over fences. Yes! Go show him and have fun.
Probably keeping him in front of your leg to make the strides will keep him from even thinking about breaking gait, if it doesn't then he will learn it with time.

Moderator 1
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
We removed an inappropriate post and addressed it with the poster, and also edited/removed responses to that post.

As anyone who's been around here a while can testify, we don't expect everyone to be sunshine and rainbows in their posts, but we try to avoid the blatantly inflammatory. ;)

Thanks!
Mod 1

marginall
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:18 PM
the OP is worried her horse is too fat to show when she is in fact out of shape herself. i thought that was actually pretty funny. if you don't care about your fitness what's the concern about your horse's? i don't get it.

and it's not out of line in reference other comments i made that some other poster pointed out. the discussion was about fashion not fitness.

ChocoMare
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
With all due respect, you can't look at one picture and declare a person Unfit. There are many MANY riders who aren't size 6 that are as fit, if not more, than the real size 6'ers.

BarbB
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
oh Moderator, it's b-a-c-k. Took less than a minute. Where is that darn report post button?

danceronice
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:33 PM
the OP is worried her horse is too fat to show when she is in fact out of shape herself. i thought that was actually pretty funny. if you don't care about your fitness what's the concern about your horse's? i don't get it.

and it's not out of line in reference other comments i made that some other poster pointed out. the discussion was about fashion not fitness.

Wow, the dichotomy of this with Mod1's post right above is amusing. Guess we know who got deleted. Don't you have a meal to be binge-purging on or something?

OP--he looks chunky to me but then I like race-fit TBs so EVERYTHING in the show ring looks chunky to me! Cute jump to go with his cute face and if he likes being a hunter, go for it. So much the better if you WIN with a TWH/cross/whatever he turns out to be!

FLeventer
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:33 PM

Well I agree that people need to be fit to ride a horse, this girl is not obese by any means. I am the first person to usually say that weight is a big issue when it comes to horses.

That being said, I'm a size 6 and can run and lift a lot more then those who are a size 2. I work out but I will never be tiny. Being fit is not the same as being skinny. Betcha that more then 1/2 of the twiggy riders cannot run a mile.

Grow up and get over yourself. The rider is not on a mini pony, but on a well stocked horse. I'm guessing the horse will be fine.

Austin Rider
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
I sure don't see draft influence in this horse. Looks like a TWH with a more old-style head. And old-style temperament too, it appears...kind and easy-going. I love that he's so versatile. Have fun with him. I've heard of TWH that are trained to walk, trot, and canter, plus can gait on cue. Best of both worlds! How tall is he?

BTW, if the alternate gait he performs is uncomfortable to ride, it may not be the 4-beat lateral gait, called a "rack." Some walkers "pace" instead, which is a 2-beat lateral gait that can be very uncomfortable to ride...hard to sit or post it. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_gait.

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:37 PM

Marginall,
I am not worried that my horse is too fat, and did not use that descriptor. When I used the term "chunky" to describe my horse, I was thinking more along the lines of stocky or heavyset - more as a descriptor of body type rather than condition. Most hunters in shows in the US seem a lighter type than he, so I was wondering what an appropriate class for him to show would be.

I am from the UK, and not familiar with US show classes. Back home, he would go in a small heavyweight hunter or cob class.

That's all!

BarbB
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:40 PM
Canterwell, please don't let this 'person' ruin a nice thread about your horse. This is not the only place that I have run into posts that are mean spirited, snarky, trying to ruin someone's day from this poster.

see u at x
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:46 PM
Marginall,
I am not worried that my horse is too fat, and did not use that descriptor. When I used the term "chunky" to describe my horse, I was thinking more along the lines of stocky or heavyset - more as a descriptor of body type rather than condition. Most hunters in shows in the US seem a lighter type than he, so I was wondering what an appropriate class for him to show would be.

I am from the UK, and not familiar with US show classes. Back home, he would go in a small heavyweight hunter or cob class.

That's all!

You are a class act. You and your horse are adorable together. Go forth and win. :)

KateKat
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think he's adorable! Go forth and show to your hearts content.

BTW, am totally jealous you have a jumping TWH. A TWH was my dream horse for the longest time.

KateKat
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:52 PM

Also, who are you to say the rider is unfit? Do you know her? I think she appears perfectly fine. Maybe not a marathon runner perhaps but we all know that that is not the fitness goal of everyone on here. Perfectly fit to do a 2'6" course on a fit horse suited to the rider? Definitely.

And we all know that even skinny looking people can be unfit, even more unfit than someone with some extra junk in the trunk.

alto
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Betcha that more then 1/2 of the twiggy riders cannot run a mile.

:confused:
But saying this is no more acceptable than m's post :no:

Being fit is not the same as being skinny.

Nor is being skinny the same as being unfit.

To make assumptions based upon an individual's apparant weight is predjudice, no matter the direction in which you take it.

Hinderella
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
The horse is lovely, and the OP very nice.

The nasty post was addressed by the mods, and yet the poster returned.

The thread was never about rider weight, so the best thing for the rest of us to do is to completely ignore the offending post and everything that relates to it.

horsegal301
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Marginall, how do you feel about my pony? Is she too fat? ;)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/402518_551713171130_90900895_31125378_1637659663_n .jpg

OP, your horse as the most gorgeous face and tail.. you're making this POA/Appy owner VERY jealous. In that first picture he's just stunning!

He looks fit and athletic, get out and show!

Quinn
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
Canterwell, he is delightful and you appear to be as well. Please stick around. COTH could always use some fresh, helpful and kind people.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

silver_charm
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:16 PM
Marginall, how do you feel about my pony? Is she too fat? ;)

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/402518_551713171130_90900895_31125378_1637659663_n .jpg

Hahahaha, this is AMAZING! I love that you have a picture like this.

And agreed, OP, your boy is a cutie and not nearly what I was expecting from the description. What a hunk! :)

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:18 PM
OP - I LOVE your horse! He's totally the type I'm drawn to! Good luck in whatever you do with him! Gorgeous fellow!

Quinn
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
Marginall, I have taken out my nasty little comment. I have gone back and looked at some of your responses to other issues and I respect your opinion EXCEPT in this situation. Enough said on my part.

spacytracy
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm not going to tick off the moderator and repeat what was deleted, but the first thing marginall wrote was not nice. The second time, it was said with more tact (still not nice or appropriate).

OP, ignore that person. Seriously.

hundredacres
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
You are a class act. You and your horse are adorable together. Go forth and win. :)

I agree. You and your horse make a beautiful picture. Many riders aspire to look so nice! Be proud of your "chunky" boy - I LOVE to see untraditional breeds in unexpected disciplines - not that he looks like he doesn't fit in (he does!), but the fact that he's a TWH is so neat!

BrookdaleBay
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
You're horse is absolutely lovely. He is a bit on the chunkier side, but he is also nicely muscled and fit, with a gorgeous and shiny coat.

englishcowgirl
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:48 PM
WOW! He is beautiful! I expected some backyard stumpy downhill thing from the way you were talking :lol: Take him and show him what a good looking boy!

kateh
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
He is YUMMY. He's maybe stockier than the TBs I'm used to, but I think it just makes him look like a classic field hunter. And something about him just makes me think he's an agreeable guy.

alto
Mar. 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
Marginall, I have taken out my nasty little comment. I have gone back and looked at some of your responses to other issues and I respect your opinion EXCEPT in this situation. Enough said on my part.

I haven't looked at any of m's other responses, but my first (& third) reaction was that it was satire & had the meaning I alluded to in my post (content was unfortunately removed by the moderator :confused: still not sure about that one, except it was obviously a very fast edit operation by the mods).

vxf111
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:48 PM
I cannot fathom how anyone could possible have a darn negative thing to say about this cute horse with its nice jump and this well-turned out pair. I like him a lot. If he'll W/T/C and find 8 jumps, he'll do perfect.

He looks to have some draft in him to me (even for a TWH, something about the solidness of the body seems drafty), but he does sort of carry his tail and that could be TWH. It would be fun to one day find out what he really is. Cute!

dani0303
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
He is ADORABLE and no more "chunky" than a lot of $$$$$$ WBs out there. Go forth and show, but remember to update us with lots and lots of pictures ;)

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:02 PM
Forget the show ring....you should take him eventing:cool: You both look great together and would fit in fine running around BN or even novice. No one would think twice about him....and many will be envious of his tail:D

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
OP, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but.....by your photos, I can see that he is clearly dangerous, suffers from various maladies and looks like a bad ride. Since you seem like a good person, I will gladly take him off your hands. Please pm me and I'll come get him ASAP! ;)

Calvincrowe
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
I keep thinking: "What would George have to say about this pair, based on the photos"? I think he'd say "the rider is beautifully turned out, and her horse is very breedy, incredibly clean, slick and shiny. A lovely pair!"

Since those were my exact thoughts, I agree!

To those who commented on the rider--- a pox upon you for going where the OP didn't need you to go! She asked a simple question and you just had to take it in a negative, personal direction. Perhaps a lesson in civility is in order.

alterhorse
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
I don't know much about conformation, so I'd really appreciate any comments and feed back - please be honest, I won't offended. And any suggestions about what class might work for showing.

The horse is adorable!!!

Conformation wise I think he's just a little long in the back, but it's nothing worth mentioning other then that you asked for opinions.

I'd like to see him build up the muscles in his hind end some, then he'd be spectacular IMO.

Otherwise I think he's a very cute horse. :yes:

sonomacounty
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Oh dear, I love him. I love a strong head too. What charisma this fellow has. OP, do not question if he's OK - he's freaking Glorious !

JMO, I think I might like his tail not braided better, then I'd bang it to the level of just above his fetlocks (at least) for a neater, up-to-date look. Then some Show Sheen in that beautiful thick tail for shine & flow.

Rider looks great, too.

Picture updates in the future, please. You are both awesome.

I'm a middle aged woman who has to wear a bit bigger of a jacket due to tears & arthritis in the shoulders. So it is . . .

Canterwell
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
I keep thinking: "What would George have to say about this pair, based on the photos"? I think he'd say "the rider is beautifully turned out, and her horse is very breedy, incredibly clean, slick and shiny. A lovely pair!"

Since those were my exact thoughts, I agree!

To those who commented on the rider--- a pox upon you for going where the OP didn't need you to go! She asked a simple question and you just had to take it in a negative, personal direction. Perhaps a lesson in civility is in order.

You are so kind! However, I think George would have something to say about the loose/swinging lower leg over the jumps!

Seriously, though, to everyone who has responded, you have all been so encouraging. I can't thank you enough.

I did feel a bit gobsmacked (UK expression) by Marginall's comment - surprised someone would make such a personal comment.

Oh well.....

Equine Studies
Mar. 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
You will get those types here unfortunately. The rest of us are mostly nice. Any time someone is nasty like that I look at their posts and the threads they've started. Makes perfect sense in some cases. Your horse is lovely and you make a good pair. I wouldn't worry about what some "others" have to say.

lily pony
Mar. 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Absolutely LOVE your guy! My first thought was to try a bridle with a bit wider of a noseband as well, possibly not as wide as the pessoa one, but not a super thin one either. I'm impressed with his jump, I bet he'd be gorgeous over 3'+ as well. :)

spina
Mar. 13, 2012, 06:41 PM
Maybe I've been hanging around too many Eq horses and jumpers, but I don't see chunky. Solid, yes. Adorable, yes.

People are probably remarking on him because he's quite eye catching, and think he may have some draft in him because his face brings to mind some of the more "noble" breeds. Sounds like his temperment does, too. Rarely do you see that cute a jump in those breeds, however. Lucky girl.

AdultAmmy
Mar. 13, 2012, 07:20 PM

marginall: I guess your mother didn't do her job very well. Weren't you ever taught to keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything constructive to say?

OP I think both you and your horse make a lovely pair, and no, I don't think he is "chunky." As far as showing goes, many local associations have their own divisions and specifications. If you check out the prize lists to these shows they will describe how the classes are judged (same goes for USEF rated shows). :)

Horsegal984
Mar. 13, 2012, 07:46 PM
Canterwell- Try not to take some peoples personal issues to heart. You and your horse look wonderful together! I think the reason you may be getting draft cross comments is due to his 'noble' head (I LOVE that expression BTW) and thick mane and tail. Had you not said he was TWH I would have guessed some draft in the woodpile too.

Regardless I think he's super cute...... I mean TOTALLY DEFECTIVE and you must give him to me ASAP! Since I am taking such a problem off your hand if you can just take care of importing him on across the pond. ;)

Sugarbrook
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:00 PM
Equine Studies: You are totally on the mark. I could not have said it better!!

I have the older type TWH now and have had over the years. Heads the same. I LOVE IT. Kind and gentle.

Theresyoursighn
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
He's just perfect!

Ace
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
I love him! He is gorgeous and you could feel free to donate him to me if he doesn't work out for you. :o) And as a skinny person, I can say that I have had my butt kicked when running long distances. You look perfectly fit and well-suited to your gorgeous mount.

Teacup
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Your horse looks like a great guy and flat out adorable.

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
He is adorable, Canterswell, and you guys make a great pair. Go enjoy yourselves! :)

skydy
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:39 PM
You both look great!
What a lovely horse. I agree the nose band could be raised, to show his lovely noble head at it's best. Have fun!

FLeventer
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
:confused:
But saying this is no more acceptable than m's post :no:

Nor is being skinny the same as being unfit.

To make assumptions based upon an individual's apparant weight is predjudice, no matter the direction in which you take it.

Seriously?

I was making the point that since she thinks that fit = skinny, many skinny people are not fit. Many heavy people are also not fit.

Way to take it that I think skinny people are unfit. Do you spin things negatively on everyone in your daily life? Would hate to know you if you did.

alterhorse
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
Is this horse parrot mouthed?

I'm struggling to find the flaws. :)

alto
Mar. 14, 2012, 01:40 AM
Seriously?

I was making the point that since she thinks that fit = skinny, many skinny people are not fit. Many heavy people are also not fit.

Way to take it that I think skinny people are unfit. Do you spin things negatively on everyone in your daily life? Would hate to know you if you did.

right back atcha babe :rolleyes:

in reference to skinny people unfit?
- go back & read your very own words, the ones you WROTE ...

& yet, based upon your response above, somehow I doubt you will recognize your own "negative spin" :sigh:

FLeventer
Mar. 14, 2012, 01:48 AM
right back atcha babe :rolleyes:

in reference to skinny people unfit?
- go back & read your very own words, the ones you WROTE ...

& yet, based upon your response above, somehow I doubt you will recognize your own "negative spin" :sigh:

Well I would rather argue with a brick wall then argue with you. The brick wall seems better suited and can be convinced easier that I was not making a statement towards skinny people.

Hope you don't piss in too many cereal bowls tomorrow ;)

Or better yet, you could wake up on the right side of the bed.

hequestrian
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:08 AM
I'd put your handsome horse in a noseband like this one - 1.25" or 1.5" wide, but not thickly padded so it doesn't stick out. It's actually fitted quite nicely in the photo - 1-2 fingers below the cheek bone.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/rodrigo-fancy-stitched-wide-noseband-bridle-5760p.aspx

I am pining over this bridle for my guy! His head is kinda blah and I think it would make Hue look oh so handsome!

OP- I think you might try a thicker noseband too- doesn't necessarily have to be this thick but with your guys LOVELY!!!! face you want to showcase it in the best way possible :)

^^^ this

I think that your horse looks lovely. I definitely would not have guessed TWH. You also must be a grooming queen! Look at his bright shiny coat- props to you!!!

I think that you guys will look great in the ring- he is not much thicker than many of the WB's you see and as others have said provided he doesn't "rack/ pace" in the ring I think you guys would be great at whatever height suits you both best.

Have fun with him!!!:)

alto
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:35 AM
Well I would rather argue with a brick wall then argue with you. The brick wall seems better suited and can be convinced easier that I was not making a statement towards skinny people.

So I am a brick wall (but not really as good as), I piss in (presumably) other people's cereal bowls, I spin things negatively (rather than reading words written), & you'd hate to know me ...

& you think that marginall is a caster of stones!!!

..... Incroyable

alterhorse
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:24 AM

So I am a brick wall (but not really as good as), I piss in (presumably) other people's cereal bowls, I spin things negatively (rather than reading words written), & you'd hate to know me ...

& you think that marginall is a caster of stones!!!

..... Incroyable

I had a mare who managed to piss in her own water bucket once.

One gelding who pooped in his regularly.

I've also known a few geldings who would piss on the other horses hay piles so the other horses wouldn't eat it, but the geldings would eat it, it was their way of taking the other horses hay.

I once left a brush box in the aisle and my horse pooped in it. That happened to someone's helmet once too.

bizbachfan
Mar. 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
He is ADORABLE and no more "chunky" than a lot of $$$$$$ WBs out there. Go forth and show, but remember to update us with lots and lots of pictures ;)

that is what I was thinking!

bumknees
Mar. 14, 2012, 07:23 AM
Just ignore the interthread-argueing going on it is a coth tradition...

Your horse is adroable, you are a wonderful rider.

This is what I hate about the hunter ring of today..If you can make the stride or make the lines... Who cares ride to what your horse makes. If the line says 5 strides but your horse does 6 and looks better than those who do the 5 then ride it to 6.

Course if you ever want to get rid of him Ill be more than happy to take him off your hands. Just let me know. :D

Chall
Mar. 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
Wow, I have fine headed horse breeds (Arab, tb), but your horse has a beautiful head. My first impression was that he looked like an English breed, that I saw commonly in books when I was a child, just all around sturdy, dependable and game.
I can't believe the width of his chest, what a nice strong front.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 14, 2012, 08:03 AM

Amen!

DarkStarrx
Mar. 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
I am in love with his head, and all of him. He is no more stout than the WBs showing.

Moderator 1
Mar. 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Let's ALL drop the rider weight debate and save it for the threads that discuss that topic at great length.

OP, it seems safe to say at this point that the consensus is you have nothing to worry about in terms of your horse's suitability to show! :winkgrin:

danceronice
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
*shuffles feet* I kind of LIKE big Roman noses....

blackcat95
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
He is absolutely adorable! I love his little tail flip, he is just too cute!

Chardavej
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
I really don't get what everyone is seeing? I can't believe how you all are lying to her! That horse is AWFUL! Awful! And you should be embarrassed to show him!

So, to save you any more embarrassment, I will come and take that wonderful, er, uh, AWFUL horse and hide him in my pasture. I promise that no one will ever see him again! I will trail ride him in secret. You know, so he can get some exercise...?

OK so just PM me your address and I will be right over with my trailer to pick him up ASAP! :) :)

Edited to add:
I went back to look at the pics again to see if I was missing something. I think the rider and the horse are absolutely beautiful! I don't think she looks like she could be out of shape? Why do SOME people think that you have to be stick thin to be in shape? I'm 180 and I can go all day working on the farm or hours and hours on the trail, and not just a mosey, but cantering, troting, galloping, jumping (small) logs? I don't get some peoples perceptions about what is "fit" just by looking at a photo?

Renn/aissance
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:12 AM

Me too! It is a noble head!

allikat819
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
He looks very typey to TWH to me... And he is gorgeous to boot. I love them with a bit of a roman nose, I think it can be quite handsome! You and your horse make a beautiful pair!

CaitlinandTheBay
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

Thank God someone finally admitted it! I'm partial to the big nose as well (don't tell my Thoroughbred).

Canterwell- I keep coming back to this post, not for the inter-post drama, but because I want to look at the pictures of your guy again and again. He is just so cute!

ohrebecca
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thank God someone finally admitted it! I'm partial to the big nose as well (don't tell my Thoroughbred).

Canterwell- I keep coming back to this post, not for the inter-post drama, but because I want to look at the pictures of your guy again and again. He is just so cute!

Same on both counts! Love a Roman nose, and keep coming back to ogle this guy :)

aadams89
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:27 PM
I absolutely love him!! Gorgeous horse! LOVE his coloring! I like "noble" heads. Take a look at my mare's extra "noble" head!

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/86/86/2/45/56/2564245560063225234YUzgVW_th.jpg

http://thumb14.webshots.net/t/90/90/2/20/11/2940220110063225234PNWifv_th.jpg

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
This is one of those threads where I clicked on the picture and was pleasantly suprised. He's super cute!

It sounds like you might be concerned about his fitness level for jumping, and it is completely reasonable to take that into account and plan his training to work on his fitness level.

RiderInTheRain
Mar. 14, 2012, 05:54 PM
He is incredibly cute! Take him in the hunter ring and then post pictures :)

MistyBlue
Mar. 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Add me to the "Loves Big Noggins and Roman Noses" club please.

And the OP's horse is both handsome and eye-catching. He'd turn my head when watching a class. :yes:

GypsyQ
Mar. 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
I have not read through all the responses, but my opinion is that he is an awful example of a horse and you should send him to me so I can get rid of him for you ;)

Weight wise I wouldn't want to see him any heavier, but he looks very nice where he is now. I love his head and eye, and his color, and his neck, and his jump, and how he fits you, and...

bizbachfan
Mar. 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
I really don't get what everyone is seeing? I can't believe how you all are lying to her! That horse is AWFUL! Awful! And you should be embarrassed to show him!

So, to save you any more embarrassment, I will come and take that wonderful, er, uh, AWFUL horse and hide him in my pasture. I promise that no one will ever see him again! I will trail ride him in secret. You know, so he can get some exercise...?

OK so just PM me your address and I will be right over with my trailer to pick him up ASAP! :) :)

Edited to add:
I went back to look at the pics again to see if I was missing something. I think the rider and the horse are absolutely beautiful! I don't think she looks like she could be out of shape? Why do SOME people think that you have to be stick thin to be in shape? I'm 180 and I can go all day working on the farm or hours and hours on the trail, and not just a mosey, but cantering, troting, galloping, jumping (small) logs? I don't get some peoples perceptions about what is "fit" just by looking at a photo?

:):):):):):):):):):)LIKE

paulaedwina
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Please add me the Roman Nose Lover club. I love those faces.

Paula

Sugarbrook
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
I guess no one really looked at the (sorry) sideway picture I posted of our TWH. She did the big time lick TWH thing (not when I owned her) but her huge head almost is bigger than our 2 yr old little grandson standing beside her. It is a wonderful head, so kind and sweet. We love big heads in our horses. :D :winkgrin:

paulaedwina
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:42 PM
I guess no one really looked at the (sorry) sideway picture I posted of our TWH. She did the big time lick TWH thing (not when I owned her) but her huge head almost is bigger than our 2 yr old little grandson standing beside her. It is a wonderful head, so kind and sweet. We love big heads in our horses. :D :winkgrin:

I loved the picture. It was adorable that the little boy in the striped shirt looked about as tall as the horsie's head :lol:

Paula

Renn/aissance
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:47 PM
I loved the picture. It was adorable that the little boy in the striped shirt looked about as tall as the horsie's head :lol:

Paula

The heads are big to hold a big brain :yes:

ShaSamour
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
Your horse is cute as a button. And don't worry about the way he carries his tail. The original ShaSamour was 7/8 Arab and 1/8 TWH, so you can imagine the way he carried his tail... was never a problem for us in the show ring. Handsome is as handsome does. ;)

And your turnout is impeccable.

Go show and have fun!

Canterwell
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:04 PM
What an extraordinary experience this thread has been.

When I posted yesterday, I expected to get a range of responses, and hoped for positive suggestions. That 112 posts have been written is quite astonishing! I am truly overwhelmed by how much you like my horse. I, of course, adore him but I'd always had the feeling he doesn't really fit in with the leaner, prettier horses in my barn, and no-one seemed enthusiastic about him showing.

When I was teaching him to jump, I had a number of comments to the effect that TWHs don't or can't jump. This guy was a dream to train, once I realized that trotting poles was super hard for him because he would start to gait when he got excited, and that doesn't really work with poles!

Once I gave him a "real" jump, he figured it out really fast, and - this is the absolute truth - he has NEVER once stopped or ducked out, or given anything but a totally honest effort, even when I have hopelessly misjudged a distance. His credo is, "If in doubt, jump big!" I've always been careful not to overface him, or work too long or too hard, and he has repaid me well.

I will definitely look for a couple of local shows, and will let you all know how it goes. Thank you all so much for your generous comments, and especially for the offers of trailers and paddocks to hide him away!! Some pretty funny folks, here!!!

paulaedwina
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:46 PM
Oh hon, they're jealous. Don't worry about the HEXperts -they live to tear down folks who are a threat. Your gorgeous horse must be a threat to them for them to look at him and say that there's anything wrong with him.

He's beautiful. I want him.
Paula

MySuperExAlter
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
Ignore the trolls on here.. as Taylor Swift once said...

"People throw rocks at things that shine"

Love your horse. You two make a fabulous pair.

AKB
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:54 AM
If you and he don't have fun doing show hunters, you can event. Eventers come in all sizes and shapes. If you watch a prenovice division, you will be amazed at the variety of horse breeds.

Cameraine
Mar. 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
He is lovely! He appears to be the "old" style TWH, rather than the thinner almost TB looking ones of today. I have a friend who has a registered TWH and aside from the color they look very similar.

JSjumper
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
Okay, I'm late to this thread, but boy is he CUUUUTE!

CharmCity
Mar. 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
He is adorable and I think that you'll have fun at the local shows!
Forget about any nasty comments from the peanut gallery; some people were meant to be ignored.
My only comment is: 'May I borrow you for a few hours to get my horse sparkly clean?' You and your boy look *sharp*!

jrzeqrider
Mar. 15, 2012, 03:22 PM
Very handsome!

ccoronios
Mar. 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
My guess is that those folks (from OP's original post) were afraid of the competition! He looks really nice!

My only comment is a question: in one pic, it appears that you braided the tail but not the mane???

Carol

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 15, 2012, 03:54 PM

I would always greet Dublin, my Romanesque boy, with forhead scratches and "how's that big brain today?" 15-1 horse who needed a warmblood sized browband. He was a rehab that went on to be a theraputic riding program horse. I "heart" a Roman head!

2DogsFarm
Mar. 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
Another one late to the party, but I LOFF your boy and he may very well be pure TWH.

Pls see my Profile pic with DH & his "alleged" TWH (couldn't be blood-typed back more than 2 generations, thus less than the required 4 for TWHBEA registry) on the right.
They evented, and Buddy was a great crosscountry ride :yes:
He also had the {ahem} Noble nose and tail-and-a-half, along with 4 high whites & a near bald-faced blaze.

Your turnout is lovely in the pics and I'd be proud to show a horse like that in the Hunter ring.
I'm also a sucker for a Roman nose ;)

MoonWitch
Mar. 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
Lovely.....:)

2DogsFarm
Mar. 15, 2012, 04:16 PM

:yes::yes:
THIS!
Buddy was the smartest horse I ever worked with.
With a wicked sense of humor.
One place we boarded, he was the only one with a padlock on his Dutch door after an outing where he freed not only himself, but BOs 3 young stallions to go Walkabout with him :uhoh:

Equine Studies
Mar. 15, 2012, 07:22 PM
Equine Studies: You are totally on the mark. I could not have said it better!!

Thanks-it was far more polite than what I was actually thinking.

sonomacounty
Mar. 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Canterwell, you said,

"with the leaner, prettier horses in my barn, . . . "

----

leaner - a matter of taste; I prefer his build

prettier - um, you don't have prettier horses in your barn than him :)

Canterwell
Mar. 17, 2012, 02:24 PM
My guess is that those folks (from OP's original post) were afraid of the competition! He looks really nice!

My only comment is a question: in one pic, it appears that you braided the tail but not the mane???

Carol

Wow, Carol - you have excellent observation!
We had a little schooling show at our barn, and I was messing around with his tail to see how it would look braided, and left it in when we jumped round the course. Both the jumping pics were taken that day, and it was when I saw them that I thought "Maybe this guy could go in shows." Hence the topic of this thread.

SoCalGal
Mar. 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
Oh, that is absolutely a TWH! Their heads are unmistakable and that coloring is a giveaway also. Very cute horse, not too chunky but I'd work on building a topline. A little disjointed between topline and hind end but that would be my only comment. He's neat, nice to see a TWH out doing something :)

2bayboys
Mar. 17, 2012, 07:49 PM
My former neighbor, who'd had hip and knee surgery, used to foxhunt a TWH mare and we all envied her the lovely SMOOTH ride. And such a nice jump!

OP, your horse is irresistible and looks like a lovely cob type ;)