PDA

View Full Version : Helpful hint for OTTB owners

Faith Shirley
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:08 AM
I was at HITS Ocala this weekend, and I just got a new horse. We are trying to sell My Thouroughbred, and a guy came to get him yesterday. So anyways, Saturday afternoon, I decided since it was probably the last time I would be able to ride him, I decided to flat him on the track at the show grounds.(not smart, I know) so He picked up the trott and next thing I know, he spooked and I was on the ground. I got up and saw him galloping down the track! It made a huge scene, and about 20 people came out of the concession stand and were staring at me running down the track trying to get my horse. I finally stopped and just stood their, and someone eventually caught him. It was a GREAT last ride! Lol after tho I got back on and flatted him in a schooling ring. So at least I got back on and ended it well! So my tip, don't take an OTTB on a track to flat! Haha

Rel6
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
I was at HITS Ocala this weekend, and I just got a new horse. We are trying to sell My Thouroughbred, and a guy came to get him yesterday. So anyways, Saturday afternoon, I decided since it was probably the last time I would be able to ride him, I decided to flat him on the track at the show grounds.(not smart, I know) so He picked up the trott and next thing I know, he spooked and I was on the ground. I got up and saw him galloping down the track! It made a huge scene, and about 20 people came out of the concession stand and were staring at me running down the track trying to get my horse. I finally stopped and just stood their, and someone eventually caught him. It was a GREAT last ride! Lol after tho I got back on and flatted him in a schooling ring. So at least I got back on and ended it well! So my tip, don't take an OTTB on a track to flat! Haha

Bet you're glad this didn't happen with the one you were trying to sell...

GingerJumper
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:30 AM
Bet you're glad this didn't happen with the one you were trying to sell...

I think it *was* the one she was selling... Her last ride on him.

Personally, I would have galloped around the track, but then again I'm young and pretty sure I'm invincible. ;)

EqTrainer
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
My six year old spooked, bolted and dumped me a few months ago. Never seen a track in his life.

My helpful hint would be, Horses on the track are not allowed to be uncontrollable under any circumstances and dont ever believe that your horse is acting up because he raced.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Personally, I would have galloped around the track, but then again I'm young and pretty sure I'm invincible. ;)

That's because you're a Barn Rat!:D

Galloping my OTTB around a track has always been a dream of mine. Someday...

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
My helpful hint would be, Horses on the track are not allowed to be uncontrollable under any circumstances and dont ever believe that your horse is acting up because he raced.

Thank you for saying that! It's a common misconception about the racehorse that racing is akin to bolting.

hundredacres
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:56 AM

That made me chuckle...thanks for that :).

NErider
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
We had our schooling show finals at the fairgrounds a few years back, and my ottb and I took a nice spin around the open exercise track after our tests. Even in my dressage saddle, as long as I stayed out of his way, he shifted right into track-mode and cruised around that track like he never missed a day of training.

Asked him to come back to me, he down shifted back slowly into a quiet walk and we walked back to the stalls on a loose rein.

One of my favorite rides of all time :)

OneGrayPony
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
I think I would love that...I've seen my horse flatten and go faster and he's definitely got a 6th gear! It was so cool to see, he was cantering, then started to dig in and gallop and then got like 6" shorter as he really started pumping...freaking awesome.

Never ridden him while he was doing it though. I'd love to have a track or something nearby where I'd feel confident that the footing was good enough to go all out like that....what a rush.

Course...that's a fat middle-aged rider saying that...Not sure I'd look so elegant bobbing around up there like a fool.

When I was young I used to let my ex-racer AQHA guy all out on this one dirt road. Felt like "The Black Stallion" as the tears would streak out of my face because he was so freaking fast. I'd bridge my reins, grab some mane and let him go....WHOOOOO!

The road was really cool though, because it ended in this fairly steep hill that I knew would slow him up near the top. Because I was young, and stupid, we'd gallop from a walk every time we got to that particular spot.

Made hacking out with others a little exciting the one time the trail ride went through that area. Oops!

I digress...pretty sure your horse just spooked. Those equines do that every once in awhile...

QM2
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
Back when they used to have horse shows at the Garden State race track, I took my OTTB turned show hunter to a show there.

Well, you would have thought that he had never left. He would not walk or trot. Only jig or gallop.

I finally gave up showing and just breezed him. I'm so glad that I did. He raced until he was 7 or 8 so he was an expert. Boy was that fun! I would never have done it on anyone else.

Wholehearted
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
It's one of my dreams too to gallop my OTTB on a track. I let him loose in the arena a little while ago to let him let off some steam and it was really fun to watch him kick into that extra gear.

I'm not invincible, I'm just armed with IcyHot and ibuprofen ;)

GingerJumper
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
My helpful hint would be, Horses on the track are not allowed to be uncontrollable under any circumstances and dont ever believe that your horse is acting up because he raced. like! I've galloped my TB plenty and he is always very responsive.

That's because you're a Barn Rat!:D

That made me chuckle...thanks for that :).
:D

*snort* genius!

FLeventer
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
I've galloped my boys down that track before. I had a QH that had never seen the track, but was my eventer and loved to gallop on flat surfaces. He felt me squeeze and was off. Mind you this was in the middle of Dressage regionals before the show started on Friday and I was in a dressage saddle not my jump saddle. People thought I was insane, but he came down to work after that quite well.

The other horses that I have taken to the track to do conditioning work were usually OTTBs. They knew the drill, but they were not allowed to bolt the second we set foot on the track.

I do not think that the horse would have bolted if he had not been spooked. I'm also sure that if the OP stayed on then he would not have gone as far ;)

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:25 PM

Me too!!! :D

concreteblond
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
Many years ago, a girlfriend and I raced our "mustangs" on a local training track. It was a blast. Dang was that mustang fast. Flattened and took off into another gear. Definitely a fun horse to gallop. The pony mustang was pretty quick as well...I miss those days!

Seal Harbor
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:30 PM
It's one of my dreams too to gallop my OTTB on a track. I let him loose in the arena a little while ago to let him let off some steam and it was really fun to watch him kick into that extra gear.

If you are in Washington state on the wet side and any where near Auburn, you can pay some money and gallop on the track at Donida.

When my trainer had his business there the horses went out to cool out or do a little breezing to get their ya-yas out. My TB, never raced but was started, if pressed for more he would suck back most of the time. Although my trainer found a gear or two the horse didn't normally use, but he ran out of gas quickly. This one would rather go play in the water jump in the infield on the xc course or any puddle any where.

forward ride
Mar. 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
I would love to breeze my ottb on the track. and break from the starting gate. I do take him out for a gallop every so often & he loves it! He is as gentlemanly as can be expected :)

A friend and I once raced a QH against a TB across a huge field in upstate NY. I was on the QH. The TB was fast, but man when that little QH's butt kicked in, he was rocket-fueled! Very fun!

I will say, OP, my ottb "bolted" when I fell off in the GP arena at a show a few weeks ago. At least trainer doesn't think he's going to jump out of the arena when he does that now...err...not that I am in the habit of falling off at shows very often. A little freedom goes a long way ;-)

SolarFlare
Mar. 13, 2012, 06:41 PM
So my tip, don't take an OTTB on a track to flat! Haha

I board at a place with no indoor arena. We have an outdoor ring...and a track for the standardbred racers on the property to train. I ride both of my OTTBs on the track year-round. Both are hunters (one retired, one green).

Shhhh! Don't tell them they aren't supposed to behave there! ;)

M. Owen
Mar. 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
Not exactly on topic, but I had an OTTB as a teen that I rode on a track once. At the time, the horse was about 12 years old and had been off the track a good 7+ years. We were cantering along and he was behaving well, so I decided to encourage a little more gallop. He kicked into a whole new gear that I didn't know he had- it was the coolest feeling!

I'd probably be too old and chicken to do that now :).

runwayz
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
Well maybe all the OTTB Cothers should start up an annual race! How fun would that be! We can have silks and everything!

billiebob
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:27 PM
I would LOVE to get my TB out on a track! Does anyone know if there's any place near Philadelphia where this would be possible?

DISCLAIMER: Only because I've seen his race videos and he didn't realize he was supposed to go fast until the last few furlongs. I'd be a lot braver if I knew I had to push rather than hold back. I may be a barn rat but I'm neither young enough nor old enough to get away with peeing my pants :lol:

ex-racer owner
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
I galloped my first OTTB on the track at our county park's fairgrounds. I was one of those young, unbreakable teenagers that gets these ideas in their head :rolleyes:. Heck, I even jacked my stirrups up to make it "real". It was awesome! Yes, the sixth gear truly exists.

Unfortunately, my farrier at the time happened to be jogging in the area and I got told on, but it was so worth it! :lol:

Flypony
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
Just a reminder , horses breezing get hurt. If you work one too far, say over 3 furlongs for a first breeze your asking for all sorts of trouble. Be careful and remember then were stopped on at the track for a reason. Maybe just to slow but you may not know till you breeze them.

HappyHorselover
Mar. 13, 2012, 10:56 PM

Me too!

Foxtrot's
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
...reminds me of an event where the dressage was on the infield of a track - none of the OTTB's could concentrate on their tests.

...and when they play Colonel Bogey over the radio - all the OTTB's poke their heads out of their stalls, ears pricked, eyes wide.

Mukluk
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
I would love to gallop my OTTB on a track. But since I don't know where I could do that, we settle for the beach.

simc24
Mar. 14, 2012, 01:05 AM
I've always wanted to as well! There have been a couple of times that I let my OTTB go a little more than I intended on a long straight stretch on the trail, and boy what a rush to feel him dig in. I've always been chicken and pulled him up right away.

I had the opportunity to talk to Eddie Maple once, and I mentioned that I obviously owned one of the slow TBs, as he was retired early on with no accomplishments to his name! I told him I couldn't imagine what the fast ones must feel like, if mine was a slow one. He told me that is what's amazing about TBs- they almost all have an insane accelerator, like a super fast sports car:)

Rel6
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:16 AM
Our barn has an old trotter track where we now grow hay, but there is still a dirt path around it. Once my guy is a little more settled I plan to take him up there and have some fun with it :)

One of my friends has a fingerlakesfinest she's had for a while now and she gallops him up there frequently.

Hauwse
Mar. 14, 2012, 06:01 AM
Just a reminder , horses breezing get hurt. If you work one too far, say over 3 furlongs for a first breeze your asking for all sorts of trouble. Be careful and remember then were stopped on at the track for a reason. Maybe just to slow but you may not know till you breeze them.

Excellent caveat.

A furlong is not very long, 220 yards, or for the average TB about 12 seconds. It does not take long to eat up the distance, and as Flypony stated breezing a horse that has not be built up past 3 furlongs is a recipe for disaster. A lot goes into building up the bone and muscle of race horses, and the reminders of failing to do so are for sale at your local track cheap, ensconced in "racing jewelry".

I grew up "galloping" horse which is quite removed from breezing them, and it can be a great way to break up the training routine, and a great pace refresher for the rider, but it has to be done properly, it does not take much for a gallop to turn into a 2 mile excursion.

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Well maybe all the OTTB Cothers should start up an annual race! How fun would that be! We can have silks and everything!

Bring it on! ;)

Behind the 8 Ball
Mar. 14, 2012, 09:21 AM
Back in the 90's when I was still young and goofy, I took my 17 yo OTTB for a spin on a track. Carrying my 150 lbs and a dressage saddle, she was timed on her second lap at 1:52. I would do it again in a heartbeat. RIP Fatty, you were the best.

danceronice
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:19 AM

LOL, only if it's 5f or less and ideally on the grass! (Not that I know what my horse does best or anything... ;) )

Or, you know, don't take one on the track unless you know you can stick on a THOROUGHBRED who decides he's supposed to be working. As they'll tell anyone who comes onto the racing forum going "tee-hee I've ridden hunters forever and I'm sixteen and I like totally want to work racehorses and I'm a really good rider so how do I get a job galloping", it's a totally different animal. I galloped Lucky a few times because he's sound, slow, and one of the sort of old hands you would put a beginning galloper (like me) on to teach them the ropes--most importantly, he may be a bit of a bear on turns ("WE'RE VEERING RIGHT WE'RE VEERING RIGHT UM LUCKY YOU ARE GOING TO TURN LEFT AT SOME POINT YES HELLO?"), but he has brakes and knows how to use them. And despite being an older, middling sprinter I still got a surprise the first time I jogged him up the track and turned him around. Even older, middling sprinters can have a real kick on takeoff if riding horses is all you're used to. I'm just lucky I have a really tight leg and in the half-second I felt him coil back on his hindquarters some part of my brain realized "grab on and get ready."

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:27 AM
LOL, only if it's 5f or less and ideally on the grass! (Not that I know what my horse does best or anything... ;) )

Under five furlongs, yes, grass, no. (I know what mine does best too, lol)

danceronice
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:29 AM

4 1/2 on the dirt, racing bits and blinkers allowed? ;) (If I have to go around a turn I need a ring bit to keep him on the rail.)

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
4 1/2 on the dirt, racing bits and blinkers allowed? ;) (If I have to go around a turn I need a ring bit to keep him on the rail.)

Bring it on! IIRC, Moose broke his maiden by 12 and it was 4 1/2 so that should be a piece of cake ;) Although that was, oh, three/four years ago...

danceronice
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
Lol, ony if he can keep up with Lucky at the break! He liked to win by getting out 10+ lengths in front and running as fast as he can, hoping they ran out of track before he ran out of gas!

Of course, there's the question of weight allowances, too...

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Lol, ony if he can keep up with Lucky at the break! He liked to win by getting out 10+ lengths in front and running as fast as he can, hoping they ran out of track before he ran out of gas!

Of course, there's the question of weight allowances, too...

Moose tended to get a little lost at the break, he liked to fight his way from the back.

Hmm, that's a good question... I'll need to add weight. Or start eating ice cream by the tub, whichever is easier. :lol:

OneGrayPony
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Ugh, is there an anti-gravity device that my guy can wear?

Because I'm decidedly heavier than anything he ever had to race with. No snarks please, I'm working on it. But I do consider it to be advantageous because the one thing he will NEVER mistake me for is a jockey. Far too tall. And too fat.

Maybe I can give some to GingerJumper.

Mine would race on dirt. Heck, I would race on dirt. Seems like it'd be softer to fall on. Mine it built for stamina...long distances for this rangey guy.

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
Ugh, is there an anti-gravity device that my guy can wear?

Because I'm decidedly heavier than anything he ever had to race with. No snarks please, I'm working on it. But I do consider it to be advantageous because the one thing he will NEVER mistake me for is a jockey. Far too tall. And too fat.

Maybe I can give some to GingerJumper.

Mine would race on dirt. Heck, I would race on dirt. Seems like it'd be softer to fall on. Mine it built for stamina...long distances for this rangey guy.

I'll happily take some! People just do not understand how embarrassing it is to be constantly asked if you have an eating disorder. No, I don't, I'm just unfortunately skinny no matter what I do. I would happily take some pounds!

CBoylen
Mar. 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
I um, *may* know someone who took advantage of a gate left open by a negligent track employee and staged a race with two tb jumpers and a good friend. On the main track at Saratoga. I would of course never recommend such an illegal thing, but it sure was fun... Hypothetically, of course.

forward ride
Mar. 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
I um, *may* know someone who took advantage of a gate left open by a negligent track employee and staged a race with two tb jumpers and a good friend. On the main track at Saratoga. I would of course never recommend such an illegal thing, but it sure was fun... Hypothetically, of course.

omg. hypothetically speaking, this is the most amazing thing I've heard. ever. hypothetically speaking only of course.

danceronice
Mar. 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
omg. hypothetically speaking, this is the most amazing thing I've heard. ever. hypothetically speaking only of course.

Hypothetically, this would totally worth the trespassing charges and potential fines and criminal record. Hypohetically.

(This would also hypothetically be the closest Lucky would EVER come to racing at Saratoga.)

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 04:12 PM

That would be insanely fun. Hypothetically.:winkgrin:

OneGrayPony
Mar. 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
GingerJumper, I do understand. Back in my youth *I* was the stringbean that wished that I wasn't so...stringbean-y. All I have to say is to be VERY careful what you wish for...the Universe tends to provide it...in spades! :lol:

Hypothetically speaking, I'll bet it would be one of the fondest memories I'd ever have. *sigh*

billiebob
Mar. 14, 2012, 06:00 PM

I'm in! My horse's only win was at 1 1/16 mile......someone's gotta come in last :lol:

Uh, hypothetically, you're my hero :D

GingerJumper
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
GingerJumper, I do understand. Back in my youth *I* was the stringbean that wished that I wasn't so...stringbean-y. All I have to say is to be VERY careful what you wish for...the Universe tends to provide it...in spades! :lol:

You've given me hope!

So we have 4 people in for this match race now? It'll go down in history, that's for sure...

axl
Mar. 15, 2012, 11:55 AM

Hypothetically, that someone *may* be even cooler than previously suspected :cool:

axl
Mar. 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
I galloped my pony on the track at Upper Marlboro. It reconfirmed the knowledge that he was not only slow but also quite lazy. I could literally FEEL him thinking "you know we're gonna have to go all the way back again, right?"

As that is what I always thought whenever I had to run, I couldn't argue. But it would have been nice to feel some wind in my hair :lol:

SaratogaTB
Mar. 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
In about 1982, I trotted by QH/TB mix over to Saratoga backstretch to visit some friends one afternoon. The sun was setting and it was a dark day (tuesday), no one was around. I trotted him onto the main track and let him enjoy a nice romp down the backside. I remember just relishing the moment of galloping on Saratoga's main track, all alone with my boy, thinking this was pure heaven. (It was!) In those days you could get away with it! When we were exiting the track an older groom was watching us from the rail. He said "that's not a TB, is it?" (believe me, the QH in him was dominant) I was so afraid that I would get in trouble for galloping something other than a TB down the backside I said "of course he is". All I remember is that groom saying "that ain't no TB" as I was trotting home!

AllyandPete
Mar. 25, 2012, 12:17 AM
My dream is for my OTTB to never go that fast again. ever. fortunately I think that she shares that dream. haha.

runwayz
Mar. 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
Soooo...what would your silks be like? Mine would be black, all black. To match the full face motorcyle helmet I would be wearing. And the flack jacket, and the shin guards....

supershorty628
Mar. 25, 2012, 01:02 PM

I did that one year when I was showing up at Saratoga - there's a practice track back behind the barns where you're allowed to ride and I went out there early in the morning when no one else was out. It was so much fun!

JenEM
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:42 PM

CBoylen, my admiration of you *may* have just gone up another notch ;)

For a while, I boarded at a barn that still had a training track and a few horses in active training, so it was nice and groomed. I used to hack around it all the time, and the mare was a perfect lady about it. But a few times, I did ask her to kick it into gear down the backside, and man, that was the most fun thing ever :D It felt absolutely nothing like a bolt, she was steerable and rateable, and came nicely back to a canter at the corner as soon as I sat up.

Of course, we event some, so we occasionally do go out and actually gallop anyway. I find that it helps loosen her up and works as a great palate cleanser after a lot of ring work!