PDA

View Full Version : Painting garage type doors?

password
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
Has anybody ever tried to paint garage type doors on their barns if they disliked the color? Did the paint hold and did you have to use a special kind? What about those pre-baked on colored regular doors or trim?

Tom King
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:08 PM
Sherwin-Williams Duration.

Tangerine Farmer
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:27 PM
I have the fiberglass tack room doors, as well as fiberglass garage doors. They don't hold paint too well. I tried the Behr stuff from Home Depot. It is supposed to last for 40 years??? .... (I don't recall, just "forever")

What a laugh. Here in the sun, it heats and cracks in a year. Also, the marine varnish on the stained tack room doors cracks and looks like a shedding snake skin.

So... I have no advice just don't bother with Behr. I understand it's not the best anyhow, though it cost a fortune with the guarantee.

ponygirl
Mar. 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Sherwin-Williams Duration.

This

horsepoor
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Ours are painted and it was Sherwin Williams, but that's all I know about it (might be Duration...no idea). It has held up well on our house garage doors for 10 years, and the barn big garage door for maybe 5 years (barn built later). The barn door is on a very sun and wind exposed side and has withstood the abuse.

password
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the advice!