PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Saddle. Help, Please!!!

KMLWakeLaw
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hey everyone -

I have just gotten back into riding after a 9-year hiatus. I purchased a 6yo, 16.2hh OTTB. He is pretty stocky but has decently high withers (not oddly high or anything, but certainly not flat). Currently, I own the original Rodrigo Pessoa GenX (it's 15 years old now). I used to love it, but now I find it hard and uncomfortable. I need a wedge and a breastplate to keep it from sliding all over my horse, and I am having problems "sticking" to it. I have a (bad) tendency to lean forward, and my saddle totally encourages that because sitting back and deep in it hurts my lower back. I think it's time for a new one! Does anyone have any recommendations? Saddles have changed SO MUCH since I purchased the GenX! I am clueless now! Any help would be much appreciated! :D

silanac
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
depending on your location, i would look up local saddle reps of various brands-Tad Coffin, County, Antares, etc... and ask them to do a saddle fitting. Most of the time they are free, and at least you will get an idea of what your horse needs-tree size, etc. You dont have to buy from whatever rep comes to fit your horse, but it is a good jumping off point having the professional tell you what works best for your horse. then you can take that info and shop for what you like and are comfortable in.

KateWooten
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
Tell us where you are and see if anyone here can recommend an INDEPENDENT saddle fitter, so you can try a bunch of different new and used saddles and see what works best on his particular shaped back. Every horse is different.

TB7
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
I also have a stocky TB with decent withers. I actually found I had to get him a wide tree as my other saddle was too tight for his withers...that other saddle is probably around 10 years old and was a Thornhill? I just got it because it was SUPER comfy - but it can be hard to use your weight as an aide with all the seat padding.

I lucked out and got an HDR on clearance for about $700-750 with stirrups and leathers. This was about 4 years ago. HDRs aren't super fancy or anything, but the saddle fits him well. Kind of pushes my legs out of whack though. It's comfortable enough.

Sidenote: Seen some other things on here that if you get lower back pain from riding, you might want to work on strengthening your core to support it. I definitely get some lower back issues due to that.

Faith Shirley
Mar. 13, 2012, 01:46 AM
I had an OTTB and used a prestige Nona Garson. I just got a new horse though, and now am trying to sell my Nona. It fits Thouroughbreds very well.