PDA

View Full Version : Best type of hot wire for top of board fence?

downen
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Since I bought a horse that appears to be more bovine than equine, Hubby and I have finally had it with fixing boards on our paddock fences, and are soon going to line everything with hotwire. We have a four-strand Electrobraid fence in the big pasture, so I thought we could use the leftover electrobraid to do the insides of the paddocks, but hubby said it has to be stretched tight.

I've never liked the thin wire, and in the past I've used tape and it tends to deteriorate and get wind-whipped pretty quick. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Damrock Farm
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
IME, the thin wire gives the best shock. I have a tester that has five lights on it and the best I can do on my rope fence is 4 lights, the wire gives me five lights all the time. I don't like it for stand alone fencing due to visibility issues, but I do have my board fences lined with it. Not only does it keep them from chewing, but they don't lean on it or reach through it. And it's cheap. In my book, that's always a plus. :D

katarine
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
hot cote
http://www.kencove.com/fence/Hotcote+%28Electric%29_detail_WSWH.php

Tom King
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
#9 aluminum

downen
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I think Katarine's is closest to what I was thinking... I grew up around the skinny hotwire and have seen a few injuries, including a horse who took her leg down to the bone, so I'm pretty averse to it. A coated wire that can pack a punch is more what I was hoping for. My horses don't seem to test the Electrobraid at all, so I'm thinking they don't need an execution-strength shock. :)

katarine
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
It's thick, too, like a pencil. here is their regular coated high tensile, you can see the high tensile tied off (YES I nipped that long end off) and below that normal little puny hotwire. The hot-cote is the same diameter as the plain coated wire shown here

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dc09b3127ccec02c9657f2b900000010O08AZN2TRm4Ytw e3nwA/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

BasqueMom
Mar. 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hotcote or White Lightning both need tightening, far more so than Electrobraid and usually require bracing of end/gate posts and corners.
You might get buy without bracing for one strand but........

Aren't some of the aluminum wires made to break easily if a horse gets caught up in it?

Tom King
Mar. 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think a horse could break the aluminum, but the #9 is a large enough diameter that you don't need to worry about it doing any cutting anyway. It's also pretty stiff enough that it can support itself without a great deal of tension.

I use the black plastic insulators made for high tensile wire. Throw away the nails that come in the packages of 25, and use 1 5/8" decking screws.

Trouble free here so far for a couple of decades.