PDA

View Full Version : Lesson/Boarding near Lorton, VA

armyaaronswife
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm an adult re-rider who will be moving to Virginia in June. My hubby is being stationed at Fort Belvoir. We will be living somewhere near old town Alexandria

I'm looking for a smaller barn that offers lessons to adults. Boarding options a plus for possible future needs. I've been told to expect a commute but would like to keep it under an hour. Lease horse options also a plus!

Thanks in advance!

silanac
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:36 PM
how far are you willing to travel? there are several private boarding/show barns in the area. the hard part is a farm that offers lessons and provides the animal... there might be some in the Clifton area

gottagrey
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the area! Since you will be new in the area there is a great riding/social club in the Clifton Horse Society- it might be something you would be interested in joining and someone there might be able to direct you to some places - often some of the best places are off the grid and hard to find except by word of mouth.

armyaaronswife
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
silanac - I'd be willing to go up to an hour commute. However, the closer the better.

gottagrey - Thank you for the welcome! I'll look into the Clifton horse society. I was hoping for some good word of mouth recommendations from here :)

armyaaronswife
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:01 AM
Looks like we will be living near Old Town Alexandria area. I could consider areas in Maryland too!

shoponee70
Mar. 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
How about woodlawn? its right on US 1 near old town if I remember correctly. ( I moved some years ago but I'm pretty sure it's still there.) http://www.woodlawnstables.com/home.htmlhttp://www.woodlawnstables.com/home.html
Jarvis and meadow wood are out that way too but i dont think they have lesson horses. . could be wrong there..
Meadow Wood Stables (703) 339-5813
Jarvis Stables (703) 339-9682

I dont remember how far 'meadowbrook' is from there over on the Maryland side but they used to have lesson horses and put on some nice shows back in teh day... (301) 589-9026

You could also try Haymarket Equine Services- yes they are a vet, but they do a TON of work out that way and could probably direct you to most of the boarding facilities with lesson horses.
Other than the traffic, you'll love northern virginia :) lots of horsey stuff to do all the time! :)