PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing Bounce Gymnastic Benefits

pryme_thyme
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
In my work day Googling, (honestly, I did my work this morning:cool:), I am trying to come up with an excercise for tonight but all I can find when I google is actual gymnastic excercises for people, *sigh*.

I have narrowed down my mare's form issues to lack of 'rocking back on haunches and hocks', thus she ends up flat-ish with her head stuck up in the air compensating for the lack of 'push'.

I have started using bounces, which seem to be helping A LOT, (stemmed from a great idea from a fellow COTHer during my meltdown a few weeks back), but I would like to maximize the benefits from them now that my mare is comfortable.

Keeping in mind I only jump 1-2 times a week, popping over 4-6jumps, otherwise it is all flatwork for the time being.
I can also only fit two bounces and a few poles in the indoor.

- What height do you set your jumps?
- What type of jump for the first and second fence?
- Distance set? (currently using 10ft as I trot in).

I am of a mind to use three raised trot poles 9 ft from the first fence to encourage lift in the hocks, then steap 2' cross rail, then wider ramped oxer 2'3 in height.

Any better ideas? Thank you all!

dreaminOTTB
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
I will be the first to admit that I do not have enough experience to give you exact dimensions/heights, but I really recommend the book "101 Jumping Exercises." It has been a great help for me.

When I've worked with others, we've typically set a either a crossrail or a low vertical for the first fence and then a higher vertical or oxer for the second (if doing two fences). If three, we've done xrail, small vertical, large/oxer. Usually trot poles in. Distance set is typically 12 feet I believe between fences, but I would not quote me on that as I am RARELY the person setting the distances! Heights for our jumps varies widely based on who/what horses are jumping that day and what our goal is. What we've worked on most recently: 12" xrail, 18" vertical, 2'-2'6" vertical or 2'-2'3" oxer.

Hope that helps a little!

Janet
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't set them at 12 feet for a trot in. That would be a VERY long bounce.

I will be the first to admit that I do not have enough experience to give you exact dimensions/heights, but I really recommend the book "101 Jumping Exercises." It has been a great help for me.

When I've worked with others, we've typically set a either a crossrail or a low vertical for the first fence and then a higher vertical or oxer for the second (if doing two fences). If three, we've done xrail, small vertical, large/oxer. Usually trot poles in. Distance set is typically 12 feet I believe between fences, but I would not quote me on that as I am RARELY the person setting the distances! Heights for our jumps varies widely based on who/what horses are jumping that day and what our goal is. What we've worked on most recently: 12" xrail, 18" vertical, 2'-2'6" vertical or 2'-2'3" oxer.

Hope that helps a little!

Janet
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Your best bet is to get a copy of Lina Allen's 101 Exercises and/or Jimmy Wofford's Gymnastics.

Both will not only give you the dimensions, but explain what each does, and give specific recommendations for specific issues.