PDA

View Full Version : 5-point breastplates in the "A" jumper ring?

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:39 AM
Do you see much of these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/hdr-5-point-brestplate/p/X1-09177/) in the jumper ring at A shows? I'm in need of a new breast plate, and this one looks really nice.. but are they pretty much only used for eventing?

MHM
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:43 AM
I've seen plenty like that at WEF this winter.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
I've seen plenty like that at WEF this winter.

Just ordered it.. thanks. :)

eclipse
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
We see them quite a bit up here too! :D

Crown Royal
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
I know you've already ordered it but wanted to reiterate that you will be fine with that. Common and as far as jumpers go, as long as it isn't prohibited by the rulebook, who cares? If it works for you and your horse, use it.

hydro101
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
I think it's more 'eventer' common, but I will second that I saw them at WEF too. Enjoy your new breastplate!

Horseymama
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
I see them a lot, but I personally think they are ugly. The best breast collar I have ever had is the Vespucci one, elastic 3-point with a bridge over the withers. It has a little half-moon in the center that never rubs and fits ergonomically into the horse's chest. It has fit every horse I have ever used it on well and I have had it for over 7 years!

GingerJumper
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
I've seen plenty of them around. They're good for horses that have saddle slippage (is that even a word??) issues even with a normal breastplate, and some people say they give more freedom to the horse's shoulders.

forward ride
Mar. 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
I saw a bunch at Thermal and I actually just got one too :) I think they look super cool and they definitely help keep my saddle from slipping, even moreso than my CWD bridge breastplate. They are (to me) tough to fit though. There are so many places to adjust that it takes some finesse to get it correct. I'm still going through that process with mine. But it's gorgeous!

Jheregvonmunch
Mar. 17, 2012, 11:28 AM
Question. What makes a 5 point better than a 3 point? To me I guess the extra points eleviate pressure on the shoulder but poor groom. They are a PIA to tack. Anything else I should know? Voltaire came out with a 5 point which thank goodness you can turn into a 3 point but I guess they know more that me.... What do they know thou?

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
I actually just opened mine today, and I think it's lovely.. it's really not as big and bulky as I thought it would be, and I'm excited to try it. I won't use all leather breastplates because I show a 14.1hh pony in the children's jumpers and want her to have all the freedom in her shoulders she can get, which is why I decided on this one.

Jheregnovmunch, this one can be turned into a three point, too.