PDA

View Full Version : Share hauling rate?

Horsing Before Velcro
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:21 PM
I hauled a friend's horse with mine to and from a hunt yesterday. What rate per mile would be fair to charge for the round trip? (We're in Florida, if it's relevant.) My DH says charging for just half the fuel is not a fair reimbursement for the costs involved.

pj
Mar. 11, 2012, 05:15 PM
If it's a friend and if I didn't have to go out of my way to pick her horse up I really wouldn't dream of charging more than half the fuel cost.
If I had to go much out of the way I'd let her pay more than half.

shakeytails
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
If it's a friend and if I didn't have to go out of my way to pick her horse up I really wouldn't dream of charging more than half the fuel cost.
If I had to go much out of the way I'd let her pay more than half.

Me too. Yes, I know the cost of upkeep on a truck and trailer is expensive, but seriously I wouldn't worry about it for an occasional haul. Besides, you don't want to be considered a "commercial" hauler.

GoshenNY
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
I hauled a friend's horse with mine to and from a hunt yesterday. What rate per mile would be fair to charge for the round trip? (We're in Florida, if it's relevant.) My DH says charging for just half the fuel is not a fair reimbursement for the costs involved.

I would fill her tank."

ponygirl
Mar. 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
Well, I just hauled my dear friends mares to the repro vet for breeding. 3 hrs each way, so an all day affair. She paid for all fuel and tolls. I'd never charge for hauling as I'm not commercial.

Horsing Before Velcro
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks very much!:)

Mudroom
Mar. 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
check out this discussion in the eventing forum

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345264