PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this horse?

elizabuggy
Mar. 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Haven't been on in awhile, but am back :) I am a hunter rerider. Back to riding in the last 7 months. I NEED a horse of my own :) I have limited resources to spend a ton, so I am looking in a pretty low range. I know...wish I had more to invest. So, given that, thoughts on this guy. He is only 5, tb, smaller (15.3- I am 5'8 so I do wish he was a bit bigger). He is supposed to be very quiet, but obviously is young. I am not looking to be a huge show winner...just a want a cute horse with a level head who might have some potential.
http://youtu.be/2M9PRoE-FN8

Thx for giving me your thoughts :)

altjaeger
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
That link takes me to your watch list, not a video of the horse. :)

elizabuggy
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry...just fixed it :)

jumpingmaya
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hard to really tell much other than I think his attitude is fantastic... would jump on getting his teeth looked at asap...

But if you are looking for something that is pretty easy going, he looks easy going enough.

15.3 hds wouldn't scare me off (and I'm almost 5'9")...!

I say go check him out and see how his personality matches with your expectations :)

lachevaline
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:48 PM
He looks a LOT like a horse I was leasing - complete with head shaking! But he's cute. I don't see any major red flags. I'd look at him.

AliCat518
Mar. 11, 2012, 05:22 PM
Wish the video showed more flat work. They jumped him an awful lot in one session. Looked to have a good attitude!

SquishTheBunny
Mar. 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
I like his canter - his trot not so much. But, 4/5 classes are over fences, and coupled with a cute jump and a great personality I think he's worth a look!

blondebates
Mar. 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
I think he's a cutie... When the rider sits in the saddle he relaxes a lot and goes nice. I also wish they would show more flat work but he seems to have a bit of knee action at the trot, I bet you could help that if he relaxes with you. Happy horse hunting :)

cyriz's mom
Mar. 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
His trot is a bit of a sewing machine, may improve (actually should), but still won't be a great trot. He doesn't want to land on the left lead even after doing the bending line repeatedly. I would vet him pretty thoroughly...he is cute and seems very willing. A lot depends on what you're looking for.

elizabuggy
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks, everyone! I am going to check him out this weekend. I wish there was more flatwork in the video, too, but I guess it does highlight what appears to be a super good attitude. I am truly looking for a safe horse that I can show locally, train a bit, and have fun on (and throw my 5 yo son on to lead around once in awhile), but the "cute" factor doesn't hurt. He looks very honest and pretty soft. I know that he is being used partially as a lesson horse right now, so he is very quiet for a 5 yo.

I'm excited!

Angry Bird
Mar. 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
He looks like he could be a handful, I wonder how much he was "prepped" before the video.
He's cute with a decent jump to him, definitely worth taking a look at.:cool:

ser42
Mar. 12, 2012, 08:53 AM
I agree with the others- canter is nice, trot not so much. Definitely seems to have a good attitude.

However, I don't think this is a "quiet" horse. He looks like a solid citizen type, but he naturally seems to be a forward horse. Personally I prefer this, but if you're looking for super quiet, I'm not sure this is it.

Let us know how it goes this weekend- good luck!

Crown Royal
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'd pass.

I don't like the trot and he doesn't look like a quiet type to me either. Looks like the rider is doing a good job at keeping him quiet but the way he jumps and lands just doesn't scream "easy-going" to me. Which is fine if you want that, but in your OP it doesn't seem like you do.

I would take the "lesson horse" title with a grain of salt. Seriously. It could mean he's forgiving enough that students can learn with him. It could mean advanced students only ride him as a challenge. It could mean he's a decent horse and they're throwing whoever on him and possibly negatively impacting his training. Who knows? But a stable where I once took lessons picked up a 4 year old OTTB mare and let 12-year-olds lesson on her. The mare knew nothing, kids were good enough to stay on but not that good, and the mare picked up REALLY bad habits. Mare never got trained after the lesson program dropped off and is still for sale ten years later. But that's a whole 'nother story.

He'd probably be fine to throw your 5yo on for leadline walks, but my horses have good enough ground manners and respect that I would lead a passenger around on at the walk as long as they didn't kick or fiddle with the reins.

Also, if I were you, and you plan to keep this horse for a while, don't settle on something important like SIZE. It's not a huge deal when you're 5'3" and you prefer something 16 hands and end up with 15.2hh, but it's more of an issue when you're 5'8" and settling for 15.3 hands...especially with a TB that is more than likely narrow (judging by the video). I have a 15.3 hand TB gelding, narrow but not at all a stick, and my aunt who is 5'8" with long legs looks ridiculous on him. Not a good fit. If he were built like a thicker WB or QH she would probably be alright, but not in this case. If I were you, I'd keep looking for something the correct size. Size and temperament are two things a buyer should not sacrifice when looking for a horse.

OneGrayPony
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:34 PM
As far as the horse is concerned I think he's really cute and I think he looks like a great event mount or PC mount for some teenage kid.

As far as you and your goals go, I'm not sure that he's a match. Of course, I have a limited understanding as to what your goals actually are, other than "not big show winning". That being said, as a fellow re-rider I know that we are often not blessed with a metric sh*t ton of time and energy, which ruled out many young horses for me (unless you are having a trainer ride the bulk of the time, which would up your cost considerably - which is fine, you didn't specify so I'm assuming not).

I'd pick a been there done that kind of guy, maybe one with some maintenance issues. Sometimes you can find them with experience in your chosen discipline, sometimes you have to look a little outside (AQHA HUS or trail horse listings often have hidden gems that may not know much about being a hunter, but are a little more able to take a joke etc.).

Maybe if you tell us more about your goals we can give you a better answer :)

EmJ628
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
I am also an adult amateur looking for an inexpensive project who is ammy friendly and I have seen quite a few horses out there who look like they might fit what it sounds like your needs are better than this guy appears to. I would keep looking if it were me, as others have said he could be a good guy for someone but doesn't sound like he quite matches up with what you are looking for.

elizabuggy
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
I really appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. I literally only have $3-$4,000 to spend which I know is minimal. I am willing to keep my options open and hunt. I hopefully won't get frustarted :)

2tempe
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
OP - I also would keep looking; I will tell you from personal recent experience that horse shopping, even on a bigger budget, got frustrating. Silly me, I thought it would be fun, but it got old quick.

FineAlready
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
I like the horse, but I agree that he looks hotter than what you describe yourself as wanting.

TheJenners
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
You're budget is FINE for picking up something quiet, and honestly I'd keep looking. Not only does he have a bit of a sewing machine trot, but he paddles too. I caught that a couple times when he trotted towards the camera.

Don't get hung up on the TB/OTTB thing either. I am not saying don't, I'm just saying keep your mind open. Don't know where you are located, but I know in my area you can pick up horses with good quiet minds who can be put over courses like that after 30 days (or less) and look a heckuva lot better. And be bigger, too.

spina
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
I literally only have $3-$4,000 to spend

If you're really interested, there's no harm in going to take a look at this one, but I agree that he doesn't look that quiet, and also agree that 15.3 is pretty iffy for 5'8".

Depending on what part of the country you're in, there are quite a few horses on equine.com in your price range that might be worth taking a look at. Try the "advanced search" function to narrow the field. Good luck!

SaratogaTB
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
I disagree about the size issue. Many people buy horses that are too big for them. 15'3 for someone 5'8 is perfectly fine if the horse and rider are a good team.

silanac
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
I agree with most of the posters here. I like his canter, but his trot is quite churny, and he paddles. Not sure how much of that will go away with framing him up, aluminum shoes, etc. he seems quite game at the jumps too, not very slow and lopy. He is quite springy off the ground and lands hard and quick. Definitely does not seem like a super quiet ride, though in the video he goes nicely, just seems a little too keen-which may or may not get better with miles (he is young). And I agree, the whole not landing on the left lead ever, including the bending line, irks me a bit. He does seem well put together conformation-wise, but not sure if this is a match for what you want to do with him.

As far as size, i think it depends on your body type. the only way you will know if you fit him okay is to get on him. If you are all leg and he is a skinny TB, my guess is you will swallow his barrel with your leg.

BarbB
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:27 PM
I think he is cute. You aren't going to win the hack unless everybody falls down, he has a lot of action in the trot.
His canter is nice, he looks relaxed over the jumps. He doesn't do changes and he is reluctant to drop to a trot right in front of a jump, but he didn't appear worried by it.
He doesn't look hot to me, she was driving him through the turns and much of the time jumping and landing on a long soft rein.
I think he is green and inconsistent, which accounts for his price. Are you ready for green and inconsistent?
If you like him, go and ride him. Afterward you will either like him or hate him.

elizabuggy
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I think I will check him out to relieve my curiousity and also because i haven't found much else yet and really want to start looking at something :) I agree with the critiques. I live in WA if by off chance there is anyone with a horse that might be a good fit. I have looked at all the traditional websites so far. I would prefer to not buy an older horse as I wouldn't mind reselling in a few years and I don't mind a project who has a level head. In fact, it is exciting to me to have a horse that needs some work. My goal isn't to have a made horse that I can just sit on and ride for pleasure (if that makes sense!). I definitely don't need super quiet as I am a relatively strong rider. I just don't want to deal with major drama when I ride :) I want riding to be enjoyable (in general!). I want to show locally in the future (doesn't have to be this year) in lower level hunters (probably 3').

Again, I appreciate all of your feedback.

LoveJubal
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
As long as he is not too far away from your house/barn/commuting area, I might go see him and ride him, but I would definitely not go out of my way to take a look.

From your description of what you are looking for, I don't think this horse meets your criteria. I think the size is going to be a real problem as well (but, this is coming from the girl who won't even give something the time of day unless it is over 16 hands, preferably pushing 17 hands) :yes:

Anyway, he looks a little hot for the re-rider coming back to the ring, wanting to lesson, maybe show, maybe trail ride, etc. etc. The rider in the video seems to get along with him well enough, but I certainly don't think he looks "easy" and "quiet".

I know your budget is not unlimited, but I think you can find something else more suitable for yourself that can also carry your 5 year old little man around :cool: Good Luck!

Lucassb
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry to be a downer, but I don't particularly care for him. He runs through the rider's leg (particularly noticeable as she turns right off the short corner) and I'd be willing to bet he is difficult to flat, lacking balance and adjustability. He definitely wants to land and get quick, and I bet he wants to make a bid out of the corner too. He doesn't look terribly broke to me, and while you can certainly improve that, if you are looking for one that can be resold easily in a couple of years, smaller & hotter = limited market.

elizabuggy
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
Ok..so connected with someone who tried this horse and knows me well. Said he is actually super cute, but definitely too small for me based on how he is built. :( Really worried I won't find anything in my $4k max price range. Hmmm

elizabuggy
Mar. 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
New obsession? Limited jumping experience tho...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/grd/2896853298.html

Ace
Mar. 13, 2012, 07:31 AM
*swoon* Loves the brief look at the 17h cutie!

ser42
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:37 AM
New obsession? Limited jumping experience tho...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/grd/2896853298.html

I like her... but... I do wonder why she is so green at her age and why they specifically say she's great on the flat.

Aside from that (generally)- I wouldn't worry about green o/f... I think the dressage training is much more important.

altjaeger
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
I think their must be some soundness or vice issues with that holsteiner. You just can't pick up a nice WB of that age, with that amount of training, for $5000.

myalter1
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
I'd pass too. And like the others said, for 3-4 K you could find something better.
On a side note, my OTTB's name is Calvin (LOL) but he's a chestnut

foursocks
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:55 AM
I thought the little guy looked fine- just green without much (any?) good flatwork under his belt. Nice-looking mare, go check her out. My advice is to go look at everything. Marketing horses is a bit of an art and a lot of people are not artists- so anything that is broadly within your price range and parameters deserves a look. But, do it with someone you trust because, just like buying a house, it is easy to fall in love and let logic go by the wayside.

Being wary of what sellers tell you about the horse is fine and smart, but since you are not going for a world-beater, your boundaries are going to be more flexible. That makes it necessary for you to sit down and really think about what you absolutely need/want and what you absolutely do not want/cannot handle. Don't be in a hurry and listen to your gut, your vet, and the friend you bring along to help keep you in check! :cool:

Summit Springs Farm
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
If you can't find a horse in that price range,just add your monthly cost of board etc., wait and save that money till you can buy a nice enough horse. You'll be glad you waited.;)

cheektwocheek
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
You're budget is FINE for picking up something quiet, and honestly I'd keep looking. Not only does he have a bit of a sewing machine trot, but he paddles too. I caught that a couple times when he trotted

Pass, he paddles on both sides, plus that rocking horse canter also bothers me.

teddygirl
Mar. 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
I kinda like this guy, he's pretty cute. While his trot isn't really huntery, it could improve some, and the canter is way more important in the hunter ring. Landing on a certain lead can be a straightness issue, or he could be a bit sore, as judging from the video they seem to be way overjumping him. Most of the negative comments have to do with training, such as running through the rider's leg or being a bit too forward, many quiet horses are like that if not started correctly. As for size, my current sale project, an OTTB, gained almost an inch between his 5yo and 6yo year and really put on muscle so he can take a much bigger rider, so you'd have to look. It's important to differentiate between horse traits, green issues, and training issues when horse shopping. I agree with foursocks, look at everything!

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:09 AM
Oh geez he's a hot mess IMHO. Paddles, rushes, unbalanced, pushes out his underneck. Poor thing looks like he was given no education and was just pointed at fences. I like his bravery and his "ok lady, if you say so" attitude. If he didn't paddle he'd be a good event project (for under $1k)
Nothing about him says Good for rerider or quiet.

Ibex
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
Come and visit us over the border! I've seen a few locally in the price range you're looking at...

iluvponies
Mar. 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
If I were you, I would pass on both of these horses.
I bet the mare is sensitive and has a vetting issue or something going on that has her that green and priced that low at her age.
I think the gelding has no schooling, is too green for you and will probably prove to be too much horse.