PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your saddle, size, flap, brand.

kgro632
Mar. 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm wondering what everyone is riding in, seat size, flap size and position amount of forwardness,1, 2, 2, 4, 5, A, AA, AAA and your height?

I'm 5'7 and wondering what flap length and amount of forwardness I will need, once I figure out what brand and tree shape will be best suited for my horse.

I was looking at a Devoucoux that was 17.5 2A, but I'm not sure that would be long or forward enough.

jumpingmaya
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Your height doesn't play half as much of a factor as your inseam and even more importantly the length of your femur!!
I'm 5'8 1/2"... My femur, proportionally, should be on someone that is 6'... :eek:
I highly suggest you measure the 2 things above. Also, how do you ride? Do you SIT (think more of a deeper seat) or do you spend a lot of time out of the saddle/ride more forward?
All things to consider...
Good luck... !

kgro632
Mar. 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
31" Inseam

How do you measure your femur?

Seated with knee at a 90* angle, Point of knee to back of buttocks in 21"

Hip socket to point of knee is 18"

MariaV
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:51 PM
Are you able to do a test ride? Or at least send your measurements to devoucoux? I believe they do free fittings but I could be wrong. It's so difficult to size someone without actually sitting them in a saddle. Me for instance I am only 5'4" but I ride with a 1AAA flap and a 17 inch seat. My femur takes up pretty much my whole body so I ride in an Arc De Triomphe which has the most forward flap I could find really. But I tried at least 15 other saddles before settling on mine. The balance of you personally is so important so hopefully if you get in contact with devoucoux they can help you out with the process.

kgro632
Mar. 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
Flap measures 13.5" from the top of stirrup bar to base.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/AndersHeintz/DSC_7003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/AndersHeintz/DSC_6988.jpg

Excuse the mud, we had a lot of rain here in TX this weekend and clearly I should have hiked my breeches up!:eek:

Credosporthorses
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:56 AM
I am 5'10 and I ride in a 17.5 4L CWD. I am ALL leg so I ride in a pretty long flap. My inseam is (i believe give or take an inch) 34 inches.

hydro101
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
I'm no expert, but I think that saddle fits you pretty well. The seat looks like it could be a little big - how many fingers do you have from you to the cantle?

kgro632
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm no expert, but I think that saddle fits you pretty well. The seat looks like it could be a little big - how many fingers do you have from you to the cantle?

More than my whole hand, thumb included. I contacted the local Antares rep and he said to go down to a 17"

Now to hunt for a 17" 3 A... that will fit my horse.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Any chance anyone knows what this would convert to in Devoucoux or Luc Childeric?

skittlespony
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Well this is my info:
Brand: Tad Coffin
Style: TC2
Seat Size: 17.5 (they run small so fits like 17')
Flap size: 14.5 in. (down from the stirrup bar, not sure about knee roll to back though)
Flap Forward: Not sure the Measurement but very forward as I am very long knee to hip.
I myself am 5'7 with an average/normal build.

(I also have front and back blocks and they help soo much, especially when your riding a hunter ;) )

meupatdoes
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
I have two hunt saddles.

One is the Albion Kontrol Event saddle with a pretty forward flap and the other is the Albion Kontakt Jewel that is flat flat flat and designed for the hunter ring.

They are both a 17.5" I think, and in the leather options I got retail for $2,500 new, custom made.

I am 6' tall.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
I have a Devoucoux Oldara, 18 inch seat and a 3A flap...I'm 5'8"

KateKat
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
I think your Antares looks like a decent fit as well, and you don't seem to be swimming in the seat (although it is a little large)

I currently have an Antares, 18 2A flap. I'm 5'8" with a long femur (hence the 18 seat plus their slightly forward flap)

showidaho
Mar. 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
I have a Devoucoux Oldara 17.5 with a 2A flap. I'm 5'7" and have a pretty long leg and it fits perfectly. I have a Butet that is a size 16.5 regular flap that fits great as well.

pattnic
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
I would say the Antares 3A flap fits well, but I would go down in seat size... probably to a 17".

I've not yet found a saddle that truly fits both my horses and me, so I'll bow out on answering that question.

GingerJumper
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
The flap looks good for you, but I'd probably go down to a 17".

I'm 5'2 and super skinny with spider legs, and I ride in a 16" or 16.5" Prestige... I'd give you the specs, but the model I have is no longer made and I can't remember what they are for the life of me.

GrayCatFarm
Mar. 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Devoucoux Biarritz 3AR flap 18.5 seat
Inseam 32". Crotch to bottom of knee is 16". 5'6" and 20-30 lbs overweight. Will send pic if you want to see

PinkBoots
Mar. 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
I was looking at a Devoucoux that was 17.5 2A, but I'm not sure that would be long or forward enough.

I'm 5'7" as well, with a booty :) My devoucoux is a 17" 2A Flap and i LOVE it. I've had it for 4 years and it fits pretty much any horse I put it on. I also don't take the best care of it and it is still in almost perfect condition.

kgro632
Mar. 15, 2012, 12:16 AM
I'm 5'7" as well, with a booty :) My devoucoux is a 17" 2A Flap and i LOVE it. I've had it for 4 years and it fits pretty much any horse I put it on. I also don't take the best care of it and it is still in almost perfect condition.

You should sell it to me! lol.;)

What model do you have?

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
5'10", 37" inseam...

I've tried the Bates Carpilli, 17 1/2" forward flap, fit me not horse. Collegiate diploma didn't fit either. Pessoa gen x was a heck no for the horse (never tried in the forward flap so don't know for me). Older Albion legend fit us both...but was black. Newer Albion K2 jump fit neither of us (and is still in my tack room). Toulouse Jeninne, didn't fit either of us. Toulouse Florina Platinum, fit me not horse (and is still in my tack room).

Sigh.

I've negotiated with a seller on Ebay for an older Tad Coffin that has been upgraded to the newer tree, and is built for a 5'10"-6'1" rider...fingers crossed that works for my horses (and me).