PDA

View Full Version : Help! Saddle shopping again...best tree shape?

kgro632
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:01 PM
OK....

I'm back in the market for a saddle. I just sold my custom made Black Country Quantum because it wasn't working out for the horse I had it made for, the wool moved around, the panels were too narrow..After a year, I have just given up and sold it.

Now I'm looking into possibly a Childeric or a Devoucoux and possible an Antares or a CWD. ( I'm trying out a friends Antares today, but I think the channel might be too narrow)

Opinions on these? I know french trees are more banana shaped vs the english tree and the Childeric model M is built on an English tree so that might be my best option.

Here is a pic of my horse:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/AndersHeintz/409075_2566157069093_1109136064_31956817_167856971 3_n1.jpg

Anyone have any ideas, best tree for this back?

I'd like to stay away from wool, since it didn't work out so well last time even with having the fitter come adjust every 6 months...

kgro632
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
No one...?

I guess I'll just have all the reps out, probably best, I just wanted ideas on if a french tree would work for my horse.

I don't think we have a Childeric rep, do they have Childeric Reps?

KateKat
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
I think it really depends...my Antares is a decent fit for my horse who is curvy and A-shaped. A saddle with a flatter tree would have been a way no-go. I don't find the channel too narrow at all.

Based on the one pic your horse seems to have a fairly sizeable wither (which the french saddles are generally good at clearing) but other than that its hard to say if they would be good or not.

Saddle shopping sucks...just try as many as you can!

JustABay
Mar. 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
I have a Childeric for my high withered TB, and actually had it re-paneled with wool least year as the panels were flattened and causing the saddle to bridge. Other than that, I love it and prefer it to most of the other French made saddles that I tried.

I don't think there are reps for Childeric specifically, but maybe you can find an independent fitter who isn't loyal to one particular brand.

My BO had an Antares for her horse and just sold it as it rocked horribly and never really fit anything particularly well. CWD may be another alternative to look into, I have heard nothing but good things about them :)

Tutt
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
I spoke to the Childeric rep a couple weeks ago. She said they will send you a saddle for the $35 shipping and you can ride in it for a week. If it doesn't work, just send it back. They don't seem have reps that come to you. You can get her number by calling the number on the website.

kgro632
Mar. 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
I spoke to the Childeric rep a couple weeks ago. She said they will send you a saddle for the $35 shipping and you can ride in it for a week. If it doesn't work, just send it back. They don't seem have reps that come to you. You can get her number by calling the number on the website.

Thank you!!

I just emailed them, that would be a great alternative!