PDA

View Full Version : Woes of the tall--custom half chap recomendations?

cbearconno
Mar. 11, 2012, 12:59 PM
I have just worn through my most recent pair of half chaps and am in need of a new pair.
However, due to my elongated legs, there is not a shelf chap that will fit me. I was wondering what everyone thought in regard to custom half chaps? I would also love to not have to spend an outrageous amount, but quality is important :)

Thanks so much!

JustABay
Mar. 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm also very tall, and I had a lot of trouble finding off the rack chaps to fit - Have you checked out the Dy'On ones? They come quite tall, and also the older style M.Decima ones are very tall as well. I have had both pairs, and they both have lasted relatively well, although the Dy'On ones have a back zipper, which unzips, and has scratched my saddle flap :no:

As for customs, sorry I can't help you out there, but I would be very interested in hearing others recommendations as well :)

Elementgrl2
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
chuck pinnell, I love every pair he has made me.

RMR-AK
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:21 PM
i wholeheartedly second pinnell. the fitting and quality of them are wonderful.

jumpingmaya
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
I second Dy'on.... LOVE MINE!!

Won't even look at any others since my last pairs have outlasted anything else I ever rode in!

JazCreekInc.
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:56 PM
The Grand Prix's go to 20" in height I believe... BUT they do NOT last. I have gotten so frustrated with the cost of half chaps/paddock boots I just ride in La Mundials at home now, it is cheaper. Apparently the Ariat Volants are hardwearing for home as well- but they only go to 19" hight for those taller than me.

blondebates
Mar. 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Tenny's custom saddlery makes some beautiful chaps for a lot less than chuck pinnell. While I think Pinnell are stunning I can't afford the bill that comes with them.

FLeventer
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
I have journeyman half chaps and I love em. Also have seen a few pairs of the Tennys and I will buy a pair when mine wear out.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:20 PM
I just went to the Dy'on web site and it was most uninformative.

For one, it did not give any prices. :mad: I hate it when prices are a secret....

What price range are these half chaps in?

Thanks

lucyeq
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
I third Pinnell! He's fantastic. I've had mine for two years and they still look fantastic. Great about repairs, too. I sent mine back to have a snap repaired and he did it for free. He also added reinforcements in the calf.

vagabondrider
Mar. 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
How tall do you need? I love my Tredsteps. They're 19" tall off the rack.

Credosporthorses
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:19 AM
I will third the Dy'on! I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. I got my dy'on "comfort" chaps for $212 USD from Europe. They are by far my favorite chaps I have ever ridden in.

cbearconno
Mar. 12, 2012, 09:01 AM
My calf is about 13" and my leg is over 20" long.
I know Pinnells have a large range depending on options, but does anyone have a price range for Journeyman or Tenny's?
Thanks for your help! :D

Savannah Blue
Mar. 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
I will third the Dy'on! I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. I got my dy'on "comfort" chaps for $212 USD from Europe. They are by far my favorite chaps I have ever ridden in.

WHERE? Link please.

That is an amazing price.

Giddy-up
Mar. 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
I love my Pinnell 1/2 chaps, but sadly I can't afford to replace them. They did last me a looong time!

I have been looking at the Ovation Precision Fit cause they offer a 19" height.

Indy
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
I have Journeymans and I love them. I can't remember how much they were, it's been about 6 years, but I believe they were in the $200 range. I can't see myself having paid more than that at that time.

Journeyman doesn't have as many bells and whistles for options as Pinnell has but mine are pretty and functional.

Credosporthorses
Mar. 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
WHERE? Link please.

That is an amazing price.

http://www.schockemoehle.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=103_68_69&products_id=4536

shipping was about $100USD, I combined a big order so it was worth it but I would do it again for how much I love these chaps.