PDA

View Full Version : Best Stall fans

In the Air
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:13 PM
I know this has been done to death but I have never been able to get the search function to work, I have tried. I need some weather proof, dust proof stall fans... links to old threads or to good fans? Thanks!!!!

ayrabz
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
I haven't even bought mine yet, so don't take this as an 'endorsement' but I did research, and post threads here, etc a while back, and I've decided I want the non oscillating 18" version of these

http://www.qcsupply.com/commercial-industrial/fans-ventilation-controls/basket-fans/durafan-indoor-outdoor-high-velocity-wall-mount-fan-non-oscillating.html

---I want a sealed motor/indoor /outdoor usage expectancy, etc, etc....

(and I know there are a few differing brands to choose from)

Flying Noodle
Mar. 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
I second the fans from qc suppy. Have them and love them. In high speed they throw some pretty serious air. Usually on medium it is plenty. Mounted up on ceiling and out of the way.

Sparky Boy
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have the sealed motor/wet location fans from farmtek. Been using them for about 5-6 years and I like them very much.

horsepoor
Mar. 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
How much difference would there be between the 14" and 18", I wonder? I'm looking at these for my barn, but I'm in the PNW, so it doesn't get terribly hot here. Mostly I use the fans to help keep the bugs off the horses inside and move the air a bit, not really for cooling that much. They also come in handy when it is hillbilly trash day (the day the hillbilly neighbor's burn their garbage:lol:) and the smoke settles in my stalls -- I turn on the fans to move the smoke out. I'm thinking the 14" might be sufficient, and they are a bit cheaper... Any thoughts on the size difference?

Zu Zu
Mar. 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
The BIGGER the BETTER !

really !!!! :yes:

How much difference would there be between the 14" and 18", I wonder? I'm looking at these for my barn, but I'm in the PNW, so it doesn't get terribly hot here. Mostly I use the fans to help keep the bugs off the horses inside and move the air a bit, not really for cooling that much. They also come in handy when it is hillbilly trash day (the day the hillbilly neighbor's burn their garbage:lol:) and the smoke settles in my stalls -- I turn on the fans to move the smoke out. I'm thinking the 14" might be sufficient, and they are a bit cheaper... Any thoughts on the size difference?

tallyho392
Mar. 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
soooooooooooo........is the best location for the fan overhead, or blowing across the horses?

FairWeather
Mar. 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
i have the sealed fans from Farmtek and they are SUPER.
I have them in the upper left hand corner pointed diagonally across the stall and they are unbelievably powerful and efficient. No bugs, no heat. Bliss!

wsmoak
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
i have the sealed fans from Farmtek and they are SUPER.
I have them in the upper left hand corner pointed diagonally across the stall and they are unbelievably powerful and efficient. No bugs, no heat. Bliss!

Same here, I have one of these in the run-in shed: http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_equine_supplies-ft1_stable_fans-ft1_circulation_fans_equine;pg104668.html

FoxChaser
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have ceilng fans in my barn and wish I wouldn't have installed them. When they blow down, they blow hot air on my horses, so we have them set to blow up instead. It helps some maybe, but I still need box fans when it's really hot. The ceiling fans are also great bird killers :(

KPF
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
I fourth the FarmTek sealed motor fans-- those suckers are powerful!!! I can hear them at the house 500 yards away. I had mine wired to a lightswitch so I just flip them on/off. In hindsight, I wish I'd gone for the thermostat so that they'd cut off if/when it cools down. Sure I could go back and add it, but it doesn't bug me enough to pay the electrician to come back out. ;)

I really need to clean mine, guess I'll have to get the air compressor out.