PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Pessoa

dlynn
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:10 AM
Please help!!! My daughter is writing a paper on Nelson Pessoa for school. We can find no info on his early life: his parents, education, childhood, and his middle years - experiences, influences, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankshttp://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

chunky munky
Mar. 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
Suggest that you go to Rodrigo's website. There is a contact form there. Send an email and I would bet maybe Nelson himself may help you :-)

dlynn
Mar. 11, 2012, 08:47 AM
Yes, we sent two to his son and one to him and did not get a reply. Thanks!

Ravencrest_Camp
Mar. 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
Please help!!! My daughter is writing a paper on Nelson Pessoa for school. We can find no info on his early life: his parents, education, childhood, and his middle years - experiences, influences, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankshttp://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

How do you cite "some person using a screen name on COTH" in a paper? :confused:

Dazednconfused
Mar. 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
I never understand when anyone picks a barely-known person for a report/biography, etc. Especially a kid with limited resources. There are plenty of other horse people (and non) that you could use that actually have biographies out there, or at least plenty of information.

S A McKee
Mar. 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
I never understand when anyone picks a barely-known person for a report/biography, etc. Especially a kid with limited resources. There are plenty of other horse people (and non) that you could use that actually have biographies out there, or at least plenty of information.

'Barely-known' ??
Hardly. quite well known in SA and Europe.

LochNessD
Mar. 11, 2012, 03:08 PM

Maybe some people are tired of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Also, kids tend to want to write about their heroes, which for horse-crazy kids are usually, uh, horse people.

If someone wants to go the extra mile (and develop some research skills along the way... it's not all about getting an A as easily as possible.. some people actually learn transferable skills in school) to write about a huge figure in equestrian history, then more power to them.

sonomacounty
Mar. 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
<I never understand when anyone picks a barely-known person for a report/biography>

I totally understand ! Because it's something that matters to her. No disrespect to George Washington, et. al. It's something that makes her heart go "pitter-patter" instead of "sigh, book-report".

Your daughter rocks, D Lynn. My kind of person.

As for where, no real suggestions not mentioned. Maybe ask teacher that about writing about much admired person with limited references and see if it's o.k.

Drvmb1ggl3
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:06 PM
Here is an interview with Nelson Pessoa from which you can gleam some basic biographical info. I can't give you a word for word translation as my Portuguese is not great (mostly filtered through Spanish, to be honest).
http://www.flamengo.com.br/flapedia/4%C2%AA_Entrevista
Two things...
i) he'll be 77 this year, my God, that makes me feel old!!! (looks great for his age though).
ii) never knew about the connection with the Flamengo football club, that's interesting.

Drvmb1ggl3
Mar. 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
Here is another article that list some of his major GP victories in Europe over the decades and the horses he was riding.
http://hipismobh.wordpress.com/2010/12/16/nelson-pessoa-75-anos/

Rel6
Mar. 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Here is an interview with Nelson Pessoa from which you can gleam some basic biographical info. I can't give you a word for word translation as my Portuguese is not great (mostly filtered through Spanish, to be honest).
http://www.flamengo.com.br/flapedia/4%C2%AA_Entrevista
Two things...
i) he'll be 77 this year, my God, that makes me feel old!!! (looks great for his age though).
ii) never knew about the connection with the Flamengo football club, that's interesting.

Not sure what browser you're using OP, but google Chrome translated the page fairly coherently for me ;)

Drvmb1ggl3
Mar. 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
;)
Not sure what browser you're using OP, but google Chrome translated the page fairly coherently for me ;)

You have to be careful with those Google translations though.
For example, this passge.....

Você é torcedor do Flamengo, certo? Conte um pouco sobre isso...
Nelson: Quando eu nasci, meu pai era América. Mas depois da minha passagem pelo Flamengo, onde tinhamos o contato com os jogadores, assistiamos aos treinos, passamos a fazer parte do dia-a-dia do clube, nós viramos Flamenguistas e eu sou até hoje.

Google translates that as....

Are you a fan of Flamengo, right? Tell us about it ...
Nelson: When I was born, my father was American . But after my time at Flamengo , where he had contact with the players watched the workouts, spent part of day-to-day club, Flamengo we turn and I am today.

Which is obviously not right. What that should be is.... "When I was born, my Dad was a fan of America (a Brasilian soccer team).....

An unsuspecting person could end up writing a paper that claims Nelson Pessoa's dad was American ;)

fourmares
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:15 AM
I found this... sounds like he started riding internationally before he was 18 http://www.rodrigopessoa.com/en/Nelson/Nelson-Pessoa.html

chunky munky
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:38 AM
Hahahahahah. Barely known? Hahahahah. how do we teach or learn from our history-especially those that are still with us.
Neco as he is known was/is a teacher/trainer that the whole world respects. His son has carried the torch, but many go to Neco's farm in Belgium to learn.
To describe Neco as barely known is just stupidity. And what do limited resources have to do with it? Just so rude.
I would say that you are way closer to hearing from Neco now due to these rude posters. And if you don't within 48 hours, please contact me. I assure you that I will at least get you in touch with Rodrigo.

Long Spot
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:51 AM
What a cool idea for a report. :cool:

chunky munky
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:16 AM
Book that can be purchased for very little on Amazon : The World of Show Jumping/ Neil ffrench Blake, 1967 Has a few great photos of Neco and a small interview as well as opinions of his incredible horsemanship. Get the book , it is an incredible history of the sport.

chunky munky
Mar. 12, 2012, 03:16 AM
Book that can be purchased for very little on Amazon : The World of Show Jumping/ Neil ffrench Blake, 1967 Has a few great photos of Neco and a small interview as well as opinions of his incredible horsemanship. Get the book , it is an incredible history of the sport.

Monarch
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:57 AM
I have a book called Clear Round. Interviews by Julia Longland.
One of the interviews in the book is with Nelson Pesso. They give a brief biography:
"Born 16th December 1935, in Rio de Janeiro, Nelson (Neco) was taught to ride at the age of eight by his father, a real-estate agent. Nelson followed his father into the property buisness, but became increasingly involved in the local riding club's showjumping contest. In 1956, he took the final place in the Brazilian Olympic team of Stockholm, and five years later moved to Geneva, where he built up a very successful string of South American horses, Notably Gran Gest and Epartaco."
There is more and her interview is interesting if you can find the book or maybe google her name she contributed to UK equestrian periodicals.
M

Jeito
Mar. 12, 2012, 08:14 AM
I lived in Rio for two years and understand Portuguese. I can help translate that article. Or ask me if you have specific questions, and I can try to get answers.

I have a book called Clear Round. Interviews by Julia Longland.

Is this the same book that has Hans Günter Winkler, Frank Chapot, and a story of a super exciting "final four" with Pessoa and three other greats? Please tell me it is! Does it also have a story of a woman from the UK who had a horse that I think was named Moxie? If so, I've been looking for this book for years and years.

Monarch
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks Discobold for your offer but it is written in english and yes I believe it is the same book. Debbie Johnsey and Moxy are in it. Michael Matz, Eddie Macken and Rodney Jenkins just to add a few others to the list you already stated. It is a good read.
M

Jeito
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Monarch, my offer was to the OP, not you. I offered to translate the article in the link someone else posted :)

I know the book is in English as I used to have a copy that I loaned to someone who never returned it. I couldn't remember the title, so I can't thank you enough. I just found a copy for $4 :cool: :cool:

Monarch
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry Discobold thats what I get for speed reading LOL. Glad you found a copy:)

BAC
Mar. 12, 2012, 11:44 AM
I never understand when anyone picks a barely-known person for a report/biography, etc..

Barely known? Obviously you don't know much about the history of show jumping, Nelson Pessoa was one of the great international show jumpers of his day, which was during my era. I don't know how much info is available on his earliest years but he is far from unknown.

I wish I had the opportunity when I was younger to write about people I was interested in, instead of the usual George Washington, and others who I found boring, I think its great the OP's daughter has selected NP.

MIKES MCS
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
In 1972 I did a High School English Report on Snowman. He was retired by then and talk about obscure to the general public I was only 1 of 10 students in my high school of 3000 who rode! I never considered for one moment my Teacher would have any idea what I was writing about but I did it any way because it was a subject I was familiar with. !!!! Well I got an "A+" and my paper was kept and used as an example. My teacher said it was the first paper he had ever read that actually taught him something. First rule of writing , write what you know about, what you have a passion for.

BAC
Mar. 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
I never considered for one moment my Teacher would have any idea what I was writing about but I did it any way because it was a subject I was familiar with. !!!!

Your post gave me an idea. Since NP would not be well known to the general public, OP's daughter could just make up a background and career for him, a good exercise in using her imagination. ;) That assumes DD's teacher is not a horse person. :lol:

Janet
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
I hope you were joking, but if not...

As the wife of an English teacher, I can tell you that making up an early biography would be a VERY BAD IDEA.

Your post gave me an idea. Since NP would not be well known to the general public, OP's daughter could just make up a background and career for him, a good exercise in using her imagination. ;) That assumes DD's teacher is not a horse person. :lol:

BAC
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
Yes Janet, just a joke, don't get yourself in a huff.

nycjumper
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'm blown away that someone on a horse board would talk about Nelson Pessoa being an unknown. Um... he is only one of the most well-known and respected trainers internationally!!!!

To the OP - good on your daughter and I second the idea of emailing and seeing if you can get in touch with Nelson directly.

Cool idea and good luck to your daughter on her report!

CleanRounder
Mar. 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
My idol, Master!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVzU2Lu7KU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHbnb4LKG4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFVd_f-1meY&feature=plcp&context=C4b36fe4VDvjVQa1PpcFMeBozi8rkmG0R3AlVZ_KdU Y_AjegksNEE%3D
The begin of Baloubet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Lo58J1u-E&feature=related
http://www.showjumpingnostalgia.com/?p=800
http://worldofshowjumping.com/exclusives/44-exclusives/496-wosj-exclusive-nelson-pessoa-on-the-key-to-success-listen-be-modest-and-patient

Just for the people who don't know him or believe that he is "barely known". They have time to say "sorry" yet.

What about his creations?
Saddles(most popular), bits, spurs, lunge line system...

Master!

dlynn
Mar. 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. My daughter got in touch with the teacher earlier about the limited information on his personal life. Then she talked to her again and the teacher was understanding and of course - anyone who has had a lifetime that can fill more than ten pages has had a very important career that overshadowed his few short years before riding - would certainly be an acceptable paper! I’m not a teacher, but one thing I have learned is that if you have a chance to choose your topic, you will do so much better if you choose things that interest you. What a challenge! I did not hear back from the e-mails I sent, but I realize they are very busy. She had to turn the paper in today and once she heard back from the teacher – she flew right through it with the stuff she had already gathered. This forum was a last ditch effort to try to find information – a tip from some ladies where we had just visited to try a horse! I’ll probably still order the book for her as Nelson and Rodrigo are her favorite riders.

RMR-AK
Mar. 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
i had to interview someone famous for a report in junior high. i was able to get in touch with margie goldstein engle (via mail, i believe- ah the days before email). i really wish i saved that report. the one thing i did save was an autographed photo of her that she mailed along with her responses. it was certainly a nice gesture.

karlymacrae
Mar. 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
I did a report on Eric Lamaze for Psychology. Easiest paper I've ever written - I knew most of the info off by heart. It was hard not to write too much!

ArthurGuinness
Mar. 12, 2012, 08:30 PM
I once did an book report on Emerson Burr. I was lucky enough to get info from Mr. Burr himself as well as "The Pony Book". I remember I did well and even sported a look alike hat of his during my presentation.

dlynn
Mar. 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
i had to interview someone famous for a report in junior high. i was able to get in touch with margie goldstein engle (via mail, i believe- ah the days before email). i really wish i saved that report. the one thing i did save was an autographed photo of her that she mailed along with her responses. it was certainly a nice gesture.
My daughter just read this and she's jealous!

kmwines01
Mar. 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
I once did a biography on Anne Kursinski in grade school. Much better that some random person the teacher assigned!