PDA

View Full Version : Green horse woes

HandsomesMom
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:25 PM
So I have a 6 yo TBX, very sensitive, spooky but overall tries to please. I was planning on taking him to a show at the end of the month(he has shown, not with me) and so hauled in for a lesson yesterday. He flatted great and has been doing very well at home. When we started jumping he backed way off the first in a line and refused the second one. Hard. I unfortunately tried to jump w/o him and landed on my head :no: This is very unlike him he is for all his faults brave to the jumps, this was just a 2' warmup jump striped poles a tiny wall underneath. I jumped it when I tried him out. All week I have been jumping weird scary jumps at home no prob. I wanted to show in children's this year but also want to set him up for success. He can do the height easily but I want him to be confident. Anyway I don't want this to become a common problem--I bankrupted myself to buy this horse-- what do I do?:confused:

tucktaway
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:34 PM
Take your time. Go to the horse show, do some flat classes, and, if he's calm, some jumps in the schooling area. Save the jumping classes until you're both ready :)

stolen virtue
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:35 PM
Wow, I am so sorry. Can you provide more information like his daily routine ? Age and trainer information. Again, so sorry to hear about your issues with your boy.

JustJump
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:41 PM
Um...you hauled in for a lesson? What did the trainer say?

Why ask a bunch of strangers?

naturalequus
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:01 PM
The trainer should have had some insight, since he/she was actually there. Otherwise, I would video your ride if this continues - having a visual you should be able to figure it out or you can ask for outside input. If pain, saddle fit, etc can all be ruled out, this is either rider error (ie, leaning too far forward, insufficiently supportive, insufficient leadership, etc) or something related to his training (ie, insufficient foundation, etc). You neglected to mention how long he has been jumping and whether he has even done lines before. How is his flatwork, is he connected and "through"? Do you support him all the way to the base, over the jump, and between jumps?? This could be the result of anything and without having been there and without video, we can only guess. Ask your trainer.

HandsomesMom
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:35 AM
Yes he has done lines before, his saddle and back are fine. His old owner did show him a lot last year. Trainer didn't seem to worried, but I just swapped to a new trainer and still am not quite used to/comfortable with her. She is not as accessible as my old trainer. It was probably a combination of errors, I rode him with the normal amount of support and he was genuinely scared of the fence.
I just wanted some ideas to get him braver to new fences.

TSWJB
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
You probably got excited and nervous for the show and stopped riding. Forget about the show and concentrate on learning how to ride your horse. You will have many bumps in the road to learning how to ride your horse. Don't let it get you down. And when you feel comfortable and confident try to show again. Good luck! !!

Gnomeland
Mar. 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Um...you hauled in for a lesson? What did the trainer say?

Why ask a bunch of strangers?

I find this a bit off-putting. What's wrong with asking for the opinions of those on COTH? I find this forum as a whole to be full of knowledgeable people and I appreciate a second opinion.

OP, you described a situation I am/was in almost perfectly. I will PM you later. :)

naturalequus
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yes he has done lines before, his saddle and back are fine. His old owner did show him a lot last year. Trainer didn't seem to worried, but I just swapped to a new trainer and still am not quite used to/comfortable with her. She is not as accessible as my old trainer. It was probably a combination of errors, I rode him with the normal amount of support and he was genuinely scared of the fence.
I just wanted some ideas to get him braver to new fences.

Given his experience, this doesn't sound like a young horse whose confidence needs to be built to new fences so my vote is for user error. Hopefully your new trainer can point out any mistakes you're making? Personally, I sometimes make mistakes without even having any idea I am doing them - even after my coach points them out :winkgrin: A video of your ride would greatly help us to figure out exactly what you're doing, if this continues.