PDA

View Full Version : Short-term round bale storage

saultgirl
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm looking to get 4 or 5 round bales delivered to my farm, and I go through about 1 bale per week. I have been keeping one round bale (on and under a tarp) at a time outside the paddock and carrying in hay with a wheelbarrow 2x day.

Anyways, since I'll be keeping them outside for a little longer, I'm wondering what the best way to keep them will be, if it makes a difference. The ground here is still frozen and snow covered but that will probably change by next week. I was thinking of putting the bales on pallets with tarps on top. Does it do any good to put a tarp between the bale and the pallet? Or a tarp between the pallet and the ground? Is the pallet even necessary if they will only be sitting out for a couple of weeks? The temps probably won't go above 10C/50F or so, within this time frame.

pupakin
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:23 PM
I have stored them outside on pallets with a tarp or plastic under the pallets and then a tarp over them. Just leave room for air to circulate. Also you want to store the one;s you are not pulling off of with the round side on the ground, not the flat side. Round side on the ground does not suck moisture in the way they do with the flat side on the ground.

ACP
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:49 PM
Use the pallets, and leave air space. Hay will literally suck moisture right out of the ground.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 10, 2012, 07:52 AM
We store our rounds on pallets...no cover. Just put them with the round side up and the rain will run off of them. We used to store them under tarps but I had much more trouble with the hay molding when I did that. I've kept hay all summer like that and only lost the outside inch or two of hay.

kasjordan
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:59 AM
I'd put them on pallets for sure ,if not- the bottoms will get gross. I also take a plain old little bucket and set that on the top of the round bale before I tarp it. Keeps the tarp up off the hay a bit so the air can circulate.

Robin@DHH
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
Rather than tarp the bales, try to put them on the height
of land. We keep our round bales outside from the time
they are made until fed and we only lose an inch or so of
hay on the outside of the bale; the rest is just fine. The
bale acts like a thatched roof and sheds the water. We have
found that our bales are easiest to deal with if we have
them mesh wrapped rather than twined. We also have
found that bales keep better if set slightly apart rather than
butting the sides right together as we originally did. If you
have pallets, by all means place each bale on top of one
or even stack two and put the bale on top of those. You
want air to circulate all around the bale for best storage.