PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to jump?

WesternChick
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:39 PM
Can a horse with bad angles in the pasterns and a long back, but lots of energy and willingness to jump, jump safely?

Rel6
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:07 PM
I think this is a case where pictures would help, as the severity of bad pasterns and long backs can vary tremendously.

BeeHoney
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
In a nutshell, as long as the horse is sound and comfortable, yes. Personally I don't think that lower level jumping is particularly much more stressful on a horse compared to any other type of work or even what they do to themselves out in the pasture.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 10, 2012, 12:13 AM
We had a small lesson pony at my old barn who jumped up to 2' comfortably. He didn't have a long back, but his pasterns were SCARY. However, he was sound, happy, and liked jumping - so I'd say yes. But at the first sign of lameness, reevaluate.

WesternChick
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
I would only be riding at the 4-H level and the highest jump is 3 feet, but only in the advanced class. This would be my first time jumping as well so we probably wouldn't do more than a cross rail and if we did jump a verticle we would keep it low.
My paint's confirmation isn't horrible, but the girl who rode her before me just said her pasterns have the potential to get sore easy.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:20 PM
I would only be riding at the 4-H level and the highest jump is 3 feet, but only in the advanced class. This would be my first time jumping as well so we probably wouldn't do more than a cross rail and if we did jump a verticle we would keep it low.
My paint's confirmation isn't horrible, but the girl who rode her before me just said her pasterns have the potential to get sore easy.

I might talk to a vet them if I were you. The pony at my barn had an insane angle in his pasterns, but nobody ever said he had the potential to get sore easily from it.
If she has a history of soreness, I'd be careful.

kookicat
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
I think as long as you get her fit slowly and keep a sharp eye on her for any trouble, you should be okay.

Some of the worst looking horses seem to be the soundest. :)

naturalequus
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:07 PM

I would not take her word on it. Photos here would really help! If you are concerned, I would certainly ask the opinion of a vet(s) :)