PDA

View Full Version : Navajo Pads

lucyeq
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:39 PM
Maybe I'm showing my age (or lack thereof), but I really want a Navajo pad. However, I have no idea which one to get. I ride English and do the jumpers. I just want one to school on because they look snazzy :cool: Any suggestions? I have a 17" saddle if that makes a difference.

Losgelassenheit
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:45 PM
No suggestions unfortunately because I've never really looked into them, but I will say, if you want one to school in, heck, go for it! :)

And, if it makes you feel any better, there was quite the superstar int'l GP rider schooling in one in the FEI at WEF the other day.. ;)

HuntrJumpr
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:50 PM
Not to try to hijack, but its kind of a similar topic. :)

I've never found a lightweight navajo pad, but have always liked the pattern and weight of polo pads. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone knows any other good sources of something similar to this:

http://www.argentinapolo.com/images/picArgentinaPoloMatra2color.jpg

crosscreeksh
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:59 PM
I have several that I use at home. The wash up nice and fluffy!! A couple I use are single thickness and a couple are double thickness folded western saddle blankets. I choose depending on the horse I'm riding. You can also get a western felt based pad with a Navajo top cover. Look in the western tack catalogues...cheaper than specialty shops selling "western" look pads. I think my singles were about $5/each!!

grandprixjump
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:07 PM
Tractor Supply. The double fold ones are usually $10or so.

besttwtbever
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
Horse.com has them.

Here (http://www.horse.com/item/tough-1-navajo-arylic-saddle-blanket/E001644/) is a single thickness one. And here (http://www.horse.com/item/mayatex-ranger-2000-acrylic-saddle-blanket/SLT722404/) is a double thickness one. I have more of these than I know what to do with as I too bought them years ago when they were all the rage. They're nice because they never die! Or not so nice because then I have a harder time justifying buying new saddle pads... :winkgrin:

LoveJubal
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:42 PM
Use them all the time. Love them! :)

Horse.com was going to be my recommendation as well. They last forever!

ellebeaux
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:48 PM
funny, I just bookmarked this one because I thought it was pretty - they have tons of colors, too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110838894761?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2750wt_952

kmwines01
Mar. 10, 2012, 12:15 AM
I almost bought one the other day! It was even "conservative" colors: blue, black, and white. I love them. I saw it at our local all around store called Jax, not sure how widespread they are.

SquishTheBunny
Mar. 10, 2012, 12:19 AM
ohhhh memories of the 90's.....

Softskills
Mar. 10, 2012, 12:38 AM
Lol! I just dug up pictures from the early 90's. The whole barn had a good laugh about my old Navajo. I thought I was so cool back then. Please tell ne we aren't going there again :)

OkLurchers
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
Still have mine from late '80's-early 90's...waiting for them to come back. I always liked the single thickness but made sure to get soft ones; some of the cheap ones were rough polyester.

BarbB
Mar. 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
I want to bring back Navajo pads and full chaps with fringe. *sigh* It was a schooling look that I loved. Of course my schooling breeches, t-shirt and half chaps are more comfortable. I still have two soft fluffy Navajo pads buried under my collection of colorful pads. I dragged one out and used it the other day - most people had no idea what it was, the ones that did giggled.

edit to add: Murdocks Ranch Supply still carries them in their western section. You need to wash them a bunch or beat them against a rock to make them soft enough to use.

mrsbradbury
Mar. 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
I still have mine! Haven't used them in a long time though, maybe I'll break one out.

I also still have my custom bone colored full chaps with fringe and cowhide yoke. The sad thing is they still fit, and are still in good repair. They hang next to my desk, and I wear them when it's ubercold or wet out.

NancyM
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
I've never understood those who follow the fashion and fads. I have a bunch of navajos, and use them all the time as saddle cloths. They are great. Easy to wash, and keep the pad clean. Add some colour to the scene. I've never stopped using mine. I was explaining to a young friend of mine that was jesting about them... that they will be coming "back into fashion" soon, because I am using them, and am back to going to the horse shows again after a 20 year hiatus. I set the fashions, I am a fashion leader. Pretty soon, everyone else falls into line.

betonbill
Mar. 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
I've been using mine and I love them too. Throw them in the washer and drier and they're good to go. I think mine are from the 70s, though.

SendenHorse
Mar. 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
I never used them for english but I have them for trail (western).

I suggest the ones with some sort of wool blend like Mayatex and not just the acrilycs..... I never liked the 10 dollar ones, they seemed kind of plasticy to me.

LetsGoSteady
Mar. 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have one right behind me on my chair - it now serves as a furniture protection from my cats. Another now moonlights as an area rug.

Be forewarned that your flap might extend beyond the pad 2" or so. I think I have the $15 mayatex one, and while it is great for keeping sweat off the leather it is doesn't cover the bottom of the saddle flap. But if your horse has no withers, you might fare better.

Piadosa
Mar. 10, 2012, 02:54 PM
I would be so stoked if they came back into style. I used to school in western pads all the time and loved them! I think I still have a few deep down at the bottom of my horse-y storage box. Would love to dig them out!

mrsbradbury
Mar. 10, 2012, 05:24 PM
Nancy M, I love your post! I'll be watching for you.

DMK
Mar. 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
I want to bring back Navajo pads and full chaps with fringe.

Oh wait... they left? Oops. :D

Circa 2011 (PS - Tractor Supply has 'em, but Jeffers has the prettier more detailed ones like this one)

two sticks
Mar. 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
Oh wait... they left? Oops. :D

I'm with this... here I am rocking my favorite purple/purple/grey one circa 2011. Ignore my position, not really sure what I'm doing here!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=529662835658&set=a.529662795738.2032747.138701526&type=3&theater

aadams89
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:22 PM
Tackeria has them in their polo section of the store or on their website. I use them on my polo ponies AND my hunters ;)

LulaBell
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:01 PM
After seeing Texas flag Navajo pads at the Houston rodeo last week, I've been on an internet mission to find one. An unsuccessful mission thus far, unfortunately.

The last time I used a Navajo pad, the trend was with a fitted pad, full chaps, string gloves and a hunt cap with a clear harness!

lucyeq
Mar. 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
Horse.com has them.

Here (http://www.horse.com/item/tough-1-navajo-arylic-saddle-blanket/E001644/) is a single thickness one. And here (http://www.horse.com/item/mayatex-ranger-2000-acrylic-saddle-blanket/SLT722404/) is a double thickness one. I have more of these than I know what to do with as I too bought them years ago when they were all the rage. They're nice because they never die! Or not so nice because then I have a harder time justifying buying new saddle pads... :winkgrin:

So is this one pretty unanimous? The single thickness one, I'm assuming.

Thanks for all the responses!