PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence Issue

Bopper
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:21 PM
I have one area of my electric fence that where three wires cross close to a wooden fence post (in a corner). It is a design flaw that will be difficult to correct so I am looking for something that I can use as an insulator other than typical fence insualators. Does anyone have any creative ideas to use to insulate something bigger than just one wire? Does electrical tape provide insulation?

Thanks, Bopper

ReSomething
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:53 PM
DH uses the porcelain insulators and hangs them with pigtails made out of fence wire. They can hold electrobraid, tape, wire, the only issue is that you have to string them on your electric. The hole is about 3/4 of an inch, that's easily enough for two Eb strands and more of tape or wire. He has them for inside corners, awkward jogs and dips and a few outside corners where he put three together to keep the Eb off the post as it went around the outside - they just sit there with tension in the Eb holding them down.

We have a lot of woods so use living trees as our posts and these make it easier.

BasqueMom
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:00 PM
Is it coated or uncoated electric wire?

Chestnut Run
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
You can also use a piece of old hose, but you have to thread it onto your electric fence. Although thinking about it, you don't really. You could split the hose piece open like pipe insulation and put it on that way.

Sheila

trubandloki
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:58 AM
Not sure from your explanation what your problem actually is (post in relationship to wires, etc).

In one location on my fence I ended up running the wires around the outside of the post and I put extra insulators so that there is no risk of the fence touching the post.

Depending on your wire type they sell sleeves you can slide onto the wire in situations like this. You hold them in place (so they do not slide off to some other location) with a small wire tie either side of the sleeve.