PDA

View Full Version : Non-custom Stackhouse: any good?

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 9, 2012, 07:52 PM
I am considering doing a trial on one, but I thought I'd ask around about the OTR models. I had never heard of such a thing, and when I do a search of the model, all the results are sales ads for this same saddle.

Anyone?

BAC
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:00 PM
If it fits your horse and it fits you, it doesn't matter whether its custom or not. Stackhouse are quality saddles.

ktm2007
Mar. 10, 2012, 12:31 AM
I've riden in just about every saddle and Stackhouse is my first choice, hands down.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
I have done many searches and I can't even find a retailer who carries non-custom saddles with that brand. There are many raves about the saddles on COTH, but they all refer to the custom saddles.

Another reason I would like some feedback is to check the price. It's advertised for around $800, which is a deal for a well-made saddle that will last. But if it's a machine-made saddle with a Stackhouse label on it? Not so much.

It just seems like such a rare thing.

I haven't ridden in it, by the way. I would have to send for it to have a trial.

Fergs
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
VTO carries them, and I believe you can do a trial. The only concern I had when I was looking (and I ended up getting a custom Stackhouse) is that you're SOL if it comes in and doesn't fit. The new OTR ones are also not that much cheaper than a new custom one.

If you've found one for $800 and it fits your horse, get it! I am almost positive that David and Leslie make by hand the OTR version...it just isn't customizable and they all have the same tree.

BAC
Mar. 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
Why don't you ask for the serial number and contact David Stackhouse directly for info on that saddle.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 10, 2012, 04:25 PM
Why don't you ask for the serial number and contact David Stackhouse directly for info on that saddle.

Good idea!

FLeventer
Mar. 10, 2012, 05:42 PM
Dover sold the off the rack stackhouses for around three grand. They were super nice saddes and I really liked the way that they felt. The flaps were not long enough for my leg so I sent it back. Was a super nice saddle though and if it fit my leg I would have picked it up.