PDA

View Full Version : Ski's Thread - UPDATE (p7) : Happy news

mademoiselle
May. 11, 2004, 09:15 PM
I'm so, so sad http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Tonight, when I went to get Ski in his pasture, he was satnding on 3 legs.
I called the vet and he confirmed what I thought : "there is big chances that he fractured his coffin bone".
I cried for hours (I buy and sell horses, but this one is my baby I just love him too much).
Usually, he is a goofball, but tonight he was pressing his head against my chest and he was looking at me with very sad eyes. I could feel that he was telling me "Mom, my foot hurt, please do something".
He was in so much pain (he is usually a tough cookie) tonight that he was throwing himself on the ground.
The sad part is that, I'm not allowed to give him to much bute, because the vet doesn't want him to put to much pressure on his foot. He is gonna be in pain for a while.

Tomorrow, morning I have to call the vet, to get the results of the X-rays.
The season is done for us after one show and I don't even know if he will ever be sound again.

Life is not fair. I have had many horses in the last 10 years, but this one is really special. I love him so much, I was dreaming of going all the way to the top with him.

I would be happy to hear some stories about "broken coffin bone".

mademoiselle
May. 11, 2004, 09:15 PM
I'm so, so sad http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Tonight, when I went to get Ski in his pasture, he was satnding on 3 legs.
I called the vet and he confirmed what I thought : "there is big chances that he fractured his coffin bone".
I cried for hours (I buy and sell horses, but this one is my baby I just love him too much).
Usually, he is a goofball, but tonight he was pressing his head against my chest and he was looking at me with very sad eyes. I could feel that he was telling me "Mom, my foot hurt, please do something".
He was in so much pain (he is usually a tough cookie) tonight that he was throwing himself on the ground.
The sad part is that, I'm not allowed to give him to much bute, because the vet doesn't want him to put to much pressure on his foot. He is gonna be in pain for a while.

Tomorrow, morning I have to call the vet, to get the results of the X-rays.
The season is done for us after one show and I don't even know if he will ever be sound again.

Life is not fair. I have had many horses in the last 10 years, but this one is really special. I love him so much, I was dreaming of going all the way to the top with him.

I would be happy to hear some stories about "broken coffin bone".

Medievalist
May. 11, 2004, 09:31 PM
Medievalist broke the wing of his coffin bone off in a pasture accident. He was stuck in a stall with fancy shoeing for 6 months and came out sound and I was showing him in the 3'6" hunters 2 months later! (and then he promptly got an ulcer in his eye...but that's another story http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) Get X-Rays and work from there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Centre Equestre de la Houssaye (http://www.eii.fr/club/houssaye)

california rider
May. 11, 2004, 10:31 PM
BEFORE YOU COME MORE UNSTUCK

You do not know he has broke anything. Many Many horses have abscess or other issues that make them that sore.

It could be his coffin bone, it could be a navicular fracture and it could be a abscess.

I hope all goes well with your vet but you need to stay calm.

Peggy
May. 11, 2004, 11:26 PM
Hope you have good news.

Star was non-weight bearing lame a few weeks ago. After a week of x-rays, blocking, and head-scratching it did turn out to be an abscess.

I had a horse that broke off the extensor process of his coffin bone before I got him. He was sound when I bought him and remained sound (doing jumpers and eventing) for many years.

maplebrook
May. 12, 2004, 04:29 AM
I have my fingers crossed that Ski will get through this. He is such a cool horse - I can understand why you're so upset.
Please keep us updated....
-Molly

TwinGates
May. 12, 2004, 05:21 AM
I came home from the vet the other day & my mare was laying down groaning. No rolling or flank-biting, so ruled out colic, but when I got her up, she was on 3 legs. Long story short, she got kicked in the ankle - no broken bones, but abrasion & some cellulitis.

Still, this is obviously VERY painful, so I'm w/earlier poster - wait for x-rays; c/b nothing's broken.

Holding good thoughts!

EventingDreams
May. 12, 2004, 05:24 AM
Sometimes life just isn't fair. I am so so sorry. I saw the pictures of Ski when you first looked at him and they had me drooling. He is quite the handsome guy. My friend's mare broke her coffin bone while she was away at the trainer's. Trainer wanted to put him down, my friend opted to bring her home and nurse her back herself. The recovery for her was slow, but she did end up sound again in the end. I will be jingling and praying that everything will be okay with him.

ThirdCharm
May. 12, 2004, 05:33 AM
If it is the coffin bone, and you have a good farrier and vet working TOGETHER (very important and sometimes hard to find), I have seen many such cases come back 100%.

JenniferS

FlightCheck
May. 12, 2004, 05:57 AM
A student had a mean-as-a-snake Shetland pony that broke his coffin bone.

Picture 10.2hand pinto Shetland dragging trainer(me), husband, farrier, AND vet all over the pasture as we tried to give him a "happy shot" to be able to put corrective shoe on.

Picture 10.2 hand pinto trying to bite me EVERY DAY for the 6months stall rest when I would unwrap and re-wrap legs.

Picture the happy day when he was 100% sound. By this time the little girl had outgrown him, and he was given to a tough-as-nails little cowboy to ride with his cowboy daddy.

God, the stories I could tell about that pony!

Anyway, he fully recovered to go on and terrorize several other children.

Timex
May. 12, 2004, 06:17 AM
i've seen more then 1 horse that's broken a coffin bone in one way, shape, from or another, and all but 1 have come back sound. the last had managed to break it twice, same leg, and was still rideable and could still jump 2'6" easily, no pain or additional damage. that being said, wait until the vet gets back to you. there's always a chance that ther is no break, but something else going on.

mademoiselle
May. 12, 2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks for your support guys,

It is not an abscess (XRays confirmed it). I knew it was not an abscess, the symptoms were not pointing at an abscess.

So, I talked to the vet and so far, they don't think he broke the wing of the coffin bone, but they see something strange near the cartilage.
My vet is coming back this afternoon to take more X-Rays to try to find out what is going on with my horsey. He still thinks that something is broken somewhere in the foot.

He is still not putting any weight on it even with 4g of bute in his system http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif And we're talking about horse who didn't go lame after hurting his ankles all the way to the bone (picture 2 huge holes bigger than a quarter all the way to the bone and a visible chip !).

I'll keep you updated.

"www.lechevalfrancais.com"

NMS
May. 12, 2004, 07:00 AM
MME,

I am so, so sorry. I know how much you love him. Hang in there...some abscesses do not show on x-rays. I'm jingling for you.

Nanc

www.canterohio.org (http://www.canterohio.org)

subk
May. 12, 2004, 07:32 AM
I think Jo Gelarden's (former horse) Montana Native (the paint/pinto) suffered a broken coffin bone to come back and compete at Rolex. It was quite serious and I beleive it was initialy considered career ending.

Sending positive thoughts your way...

Miss Maddie
May. 12, 2004, 07:36 AM
I've also heard that coffin bone fractures have good recovery rates.

Twice a few years ago my horse went dead lame in her front foot, no sensitivity to hoof testers anywhere, soaking for two weeks no abscess, then both times vet x-rayed thinking coffin bone fracture. Both times the bone was not fractured, and eventually the bruise or abscess became apparent, and horse was sound a couple weeks later.

I didn't know that you could actually see an abscess from an x-ray, unless maybe it has interfered with the bone? Interesting.

RAyers
May. 12, 2004, 07:47 AM
mademoiselle,

I am so sorry. I really understand how you feel. It sucks! As others have said, there are still plenty of options so don't give up. I saw plenty of coffin bone fractures when I worked at the clinic and all I can tell you is that there can be a good outcome but you are going to have to hang in there and slog through this. Yes, the season is done, but there will be others and they will be great.

I finally had to come to grips last night with the fact the Shiver's season is done before it ever started. The knee he injured at Jackson 2 years ago developed a nasty fibrous growth that caused the skin to degrade and open up back in December. We could get everything to heal only to have the knee open up again. We have been fighting this ever since. Last night we decided surgery was the only way to get things going, which means he is done for the year. Right now he is in a HUGE splint to immobilize his right front leg and stuck in a stall for at least the next month.

madamoisell, hang in there, you are not alone! We are here for you.

Reed

ThirdCharm
May. 12, 2004, 07:53 AM
I've also never had an abcess show up on an xray.....

JenniferS

deltawave
May. 12, 2004, 07:57 AM
Marjory and Reed, so sorry to hear of these injuries! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif I had a scare with Gwen last year just after I'd bought her (in fact she wasn't even PAID for yet) and it was very depressing seeing the whole season possibly evaporate. BUT, she suprised me with a speedy recovery and I hope the same for Ski and Shiver. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------
"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
Pictures! (http://www.deltawave.homestead.com/photos2.html)
Helmet Nazi, Bah Humbug, Mares Rule, Breed Your Own and Michigan cliques!

subk
May. 12, 2004, 08:05 AM
Since this is turning into a little of a cry thread...I'm taking Simon tomorrow to Rood & Riddle in Lexington for a soundness evaluation. He never settled back into work this spring and while he seems sound he is NOT happy.

Reed so sorry about Shiver, how soon will you do surgery?

mademmoiselle take it one day at a time. Until you have x-rays that say you do have a coffin bone issue try to stay positive!

oldbutnotdead
May. 12, 2004, 08:17 AM
Hugs.

Being the compulsive person that I am, when my horse went lame, I researched all sorts of possible causes. I looked at many articles on coffin bone fractures. A common theme in all the articles was that full recovery was possible!

Best wishes.

frugalannie
May. 12, 2004, 08:21 AM
JIngles for Simon, Shiver and Ski.

IFG
May. 12, 2004, 08:25 AM
Mademoiselle, Reed, and Sue, you all have my sympathies. I had a scare with an abscess earlier this year, but it is almost resolved. It's amazing how easy it is for them to damage themselves.

Janet
May. 12, 2004, 08:36 AM
A couple of years ago, SPortscar came up lame after an event. Intial exam of the Xrays indicated a broken coffin bone. But a comparison with the pre-purchase Xrays indicated that it was an old break that had since healed. (The lameness turned out to be soemthig quite trivial and rapidly resolved, I forget what).

But the point is that a broken coffin bone can heal "as good as new" (good enough for a ***).

Janet
chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain

Sannois
May. 12, 2004, 09:25 AM
Mademoiselle What have you found out?? My prayers are with you! A fellow michigander !

Kim And Truman!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin Franklin, 1755
Founding member of The Fossils over Fences Clique!

RAyers
May. 12, 2004, 09:51 AM
We are doing surgery Friday. Thankfully it will be a standing surgery so I will scrub in. I can't stand to see my horses on the table. Thanks for the jingles but this thread is about Ski. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mademoiselle, keep those dreams! Cry in Ski's fur but keep thinking aobut how much you love him and how good it will feel when you guys make it to the top! We are lucky to be graced with our children and sometimes their purpose is not necessarily to haul our butts around XC but to remind us what unconditional love is. Life isn't fair if we always keep score but is very fair when we keep giving to the people and animals in our lives. Just keep reminding yourself you are giving and doing everything you can to help Ski and that is good.

Reed

slp2
May. 12, 2004, 09:52 AM
Mademoselle: Jingles to you! These injuries are so difficult especially when we have big plans for our show season. I had a horse that broke his first phalanx (in the fetlock joint) and had to be on stall rest for months. But in the end, the time passed, the bone healed perfectly and he was back in work before I knew it. It just seems like FOREVER when you first get the prognosis. Hopefully, it isn't what they think it is. My vet--who I sometimes refer to as "Dr. Doom", has scared me many times with possible diagnosis. Once we get the x-rays or ultrasound done--it turns out to be something much more minor. Hopefully it will in your case as well. Keep us posted.

mademoiselle
May. 12, 2004, 10:00 AM
Thank you Reed ... Those are really kind words.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you on Friday. And BTW, I would be happy to share this thread with you http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Every morning when I go to the barn I feed everybody and usually, Ski grabs his halter on the door, shakes it then drops it in the middle of the aisle. He is clearly saying "Mom, no time to get a breakfast, let's go to play out.
He is so excited to be outside, that he tries to grab the halter when I put it on, he gets smacked and finally I walk him out.
Today he was just standing in his stall, nickered when I came, when was very snugguly (not his normal self trust me). So, I fed everybody, and took a few minutes to groom him with his favorite brush.

The vet is coming back around 4PM for a new round of X-Rays and more exams.
As I said, the vets saw something weird on the X-Rays and they need to take some more from different angles.

I will keep you posted

Bensmom
May. 12, 2004, 12:18 PM
There have been many good stories so far about broken coffin bones, but I can add two more cases. Both of my boys have, at some point, fractured the wing of the right rear coffin bone, and as far as we know, it healed with no care at all.

Weird, huh? Two totally different horses with an old fracture in almost the exact same place.

I have heard other good stories of healing from an injury like this in a front foot, and we send tons of good vibes to you and Ski that everything comes out well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We are lucky to be graced with our children and sometimes their purpose is not necessarily to haul our butts around XC but to remind us what unconditional love is. Life isn't fair if we always keep score but is very fair when we keep giving to the people and animals in our lives. Just keep reminding yourself you are giving and doing everything you can to help Ski and that is good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reed! No fair making me get teary eyed at work! Best of luck to you and Shiver on Friday as well.

Libby & Ben & Buzz (who have both been recovering from issues)

*Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*

KellyS
May. 12, 2004, 12:46 PM
Mademoiselle - I too am waiting today for x-rays to confirm a coffin bone fracture. Went out to my barn at lunch to bring the boys in - my "forever" horse, Rocky, wouldn't come up to the gate. I went down in the pasture to get him and he was covered in sweat and completely non-weight bearing on his right front. He barely made it to the barn and I was able to cold hose him and put an emergency call into the vet. Rocky just stood in his stall and stared in the corner, shaking, and holding his leg out in front of him. I just burst into tears. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

The vet arrived within 45 minutes and immediately confirmed that the injury was in the foot. When he hoof-tested him, Rocky just about fell over from the pain. An abscess was ruled out and we took x-rays to see if the coffin bone is fractured.

So, now I am back at work waiting for the phone call. I hated leaving Rocky at the barn, but my husband is on his way out there from work and he has lots of IV Bute to help make him more comfortable. I am already in the doghouse with my boss for taking a 2.5 hour "lunch" break. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Let's jingle for both our boys. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I came on COTH and immediate did a "find" on Coffin Bone Fracture - I just about fell out of my chair when I saw that you just posted this today.

oldbutnotdead
May. 12, 2004, 01:13 PM
Best wishes to all. Reed is right - horses do teach us about unconditional love, and responsibility!

Hugs!

subk
May. 12, 2004, 01:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KellyS:
An abscess was ruled out<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How does a vet rule out an abscess? Especially without seeing x-rays. Seriously, how?

I can't tell you how often I've seen the words "it's not an abscess" come back to embaress a vet. Even worse is the "it's not an abscess but I don't know what it is yet." When I'm involved with a horse who is broken-legged lame I always start the soaking et.al treatment for an abscess until I have a confirmed diagnosis that it is definately something else. Statistically it's a no-brainer.

Blugal
May. 12, 2004, 02:57 PM
subk - you just described what happened to me this winter. I also thought my horse had broken a bone and the vet figured it was a spiral fracture "somewhere". Over $600 in vet bills, including ultrasound once X-rays showed nothing, and it turned out to be an abscess "after all" which went right from sole to coronet band... (Much to my embarassment as I didn't question the vet's ruling out of abscess - I'll never do that again! I did, however, poultice the foot for over 2 weeks which hopefully helped?)

Blugal

"Actually, I could never count strides, so I took up eventing." -monstrpony

bigdreamer
May. 12, 2004, 03:19 PM
**JINGLES** i will pray for ski and you, and everyone else! He is such an amazing horse! I remember seeing him and just saying- wow, he's one of them you'll see going up the levels soon. He is not done amazing the world with his talent yet! Best of luck to all, i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

...all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you... ~gandalf **Proud member of the Riders of Rohan**
http://eventingforlife.tripod.com/bahada/id2.html ~pics of my girl~

mademoiselle
May. 12, 2004, 03:59 PM
I'm so mad at my vet http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
Yesterday, when he came, he took some X-rays and told me that my horse was very, very sensitive to the hoof tester (picture a horse thrwoing himself against the wall of his stall).
He told me that there were big chances to have a broken coffin bone.
This morning, I called him to get the results of the X-Rays, and he told me that everything looked normal except a part of the cartilage near the coffin bone.
He askes to load my horse with bute (we're up to 5g a day http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif).
This afternoon, he came back and told me that the horse was not as bad with the hoof tester (no kidding dude, he is almost on Bute's IVs http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif). He took some more X-Rays.
I just called him and he said that everything is fine, bones are OK, Cartilage is OK (the shadow on the first X-Rays is just some dirt in the frog http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) and that I just have to give him some bute and wait to see he gets better next week !
I'm not just the kind of person who can just wait and see.
I refuse to believe that my horse is on 3 legs for no reasons.
I asked about
- an abscess and he said : "no way"
- a broken coffin bone and he said : "no way" (even if I found out that it can take 2 weeks to show on the X-Rays)
- something in his ankle and he said : "no way" (the horse has an old injury there)

It drives me nuts ...

What would you do ?
Finding an other vet in the area is not an option, they are all pretty "average" beside shots and coggins http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif

I was thinking about putting Ski in the trailer if he feels a little bit better and drive to Michigan State University. I'm just afraid to make things worse with the trailering.

Thanks for all your kind words. It's helping me a lot ! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

deltawave
May. 12, 2004, 04:06 PM
Marjory, is there any heat or pulse at all in the foot? I agree with others--an abscess can be MAJOR LEAGUE painful, can come out of nowhere and until the pressure is relieved the horse can be in MISERY. The other foot is fine? No chance he's gotten into the grain at all and foundered? (that would almost certainly involve all 4 feet) Is he shod? Can you have a farrier come and take a look?

I just don't know how you could rule out an abscess that easily! They are the "great imitator" and dreadfully painful, reactive to hoof testers, sudden onset...in other words, just what Ski is demonstrating.

I would start soaking the foot a few times a day, pull his shoe (Was he recently shod? Any chance of a hot nail?) and keep a very close eye on the coronet for swelling and impending rupture of an abscess. If it happens it can be gruesome but he will IMMEDIATELY feel better.

Fingers crossed! At least you know it's not a fracture! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You also know your vet seems a little dogmatic, which is easy to have happen. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Doesn't mean he's a bad clinician, but you must "never say never" in medicine. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PS...if he's truly on 3 legs you ought to firmly wrap the other leg to protect it as best you can from the added weight-bearing.
---------------------------------------------
"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
Pictures! (http://www.deltawave.homestead.com/photos2.html)
Helmet Nazi, Bah Humbug, Mares Rule, Breed Your Own and Michigan cliques!

oldbutnotdead
May. 12, 2004, 04:10 PM
I'd probably go to the University. Another, less preferable option, is to find a local vet with a digital xray machine. I say less preferable because you say that the vets are "average." A digital xray will give you a much better picture, but if the interpretation skills are not great, you won't be much better off. Also, when you go, do you have older xrays to take with you for comparison?

Trust your gut and your guy. Three-legged could be serious. Or he could be a wimp. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Good luck.

mademoiselle
May. 12, 2004, 04:17 PM
Right now, there is no major heat and no pulse.
My guy is barefoot it's not a problem with his shoe.
I really looked very carefully for a puncture or a hole but I didn't see anything (the vet neither).
As far as the grain, my feed room closes with a "horse/racoon/any kind of critter proof" door. And right now, I'm strugguling to keep his weight on (think hard keeper/picky eater TB), Not the kind of horse who will break the feed room (he doesn't finish his own bucket.
I wrapped his legs last night and tonight.
The only thing is that when I went to get him yesterday, his left bell boot was gone (the pull on type) and he was very, very sweaty. I left him alone in his pasture and went on trails with his buddy (bad move http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif).

I'm gonna try to soak and poultice, it's not gonna hurt him anyway.

pv
May. 12, 2004, 04:25 PM
Mademoiselle - I am so sorry to hear about your horse. I agree with the others...sole/hoof abscess unless proven otherwise. Things to check for: heat in the hoof/coronary band, swelling at the coronary band, increased pulses in the arteries as they pass over the back of the sesamoid bones, AND swelling or pain anywhere else on the leg. In other words, do your own complete physical exam.

Does he have shoes on? When was he shod last? May consider pulling shoe to look more closely for abscess. Do you have a good farrier? Maybe he would come and look.

Soak in warm water epsom salts (warm as you can stand to touch/1 cup or more epsom salts per gallon water) for 15-30 minutes 2-3 times daily. Recheck above signs twice daily for progression.

Any chance there is a small wound somewhere that could have resulted in an infection in a joint or tendon sheath? Soft tissue swelling anywhere else? Puffy above the coronary band on the midline in the front?

Sorry for so many questions, but I wish that I could help you more directly by being there. As a veterinarian, these types of situations are frustrating...annoying when a vet assumes something and refuses to do a complete exam and really get in there and look.

Good luck.

Peggy
May. 12, 2004, 04:35 PM
Sending hugs your way.

In Star's case, I felt like this lonely voice saying "abscess" while a trainer and the vet kept pushing for nerve blocks and were trying to talk me into injecting the coffin joint. I definitely would have gone for a second opinion or more time before that. Finally, it was probably just my persistence that won out and convinced the vet to try with the hoof testers one last time. I had started poulticing just in case. There was no pulse, no heat, and virtually no swelling (other than could be accounted for by spending too much time in the stall).

You can read all about it on this thread (http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=6656094911&f=5206053911&m=891609581).

mademoiselle
May. 12, 2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your help PV.

As I said, he is currently barefoot in the back and had been since I got him off the track in September.
He has no sweeling anywhere. The only little thing would be the ankle, but he injured it very badly in october and it gets a little bit big when he doesn't get any turn-out.

There is no heat anywhere, the coronary band is normal. There is no cuts,puctures or wound anywhere (I'm a freak with my horses legs, probably because of my background - I groomed **** for 2 seasons and was a vet assistant 2 summers in a row).
Pulse is normal, heart rate normal, temperature normal, all the vital signs are perfect.
Now that the Bute is wearing off a little bit he seems to be in pain again.
Keep the comments coming.
It makes me feel good to at least do something to help him.

horsebabe11
May. 12, 2004, 05:13 PM
I had the smae thing happen to a friend's horse. I went to go ride her (while owner was at college) and found her 3-legged lame. We first thought it was West Nile (one of the symtomes is pain/paralysis in hind legs) since we have had a recent VERY high outbreak in our area. Had the vet come...thought the same thing. Maybe she chipped/broke/whatever to some bone in the foot. 3 months later the mare is still lame...no absess, clean Xrays, nothing. She is starting to get sounder...but there is still that little hint of off/stiffness every so often. Now the vet is thinking possibly a really bad muscle pull. Can't really give you too much advice...but it might be a good idea (if he is still lame after a few days) to get a second opinion. Not Xray wise, but where the pain is. I wish you all the luck in the world....and I hope he gets better!!!!!!

coronadoSJ33 *C-3 ponyclubber*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You cannot use a whip and spurs to teach a dancer to dance."

From the West comes a red mare... She comes to me.
~ Navajo chant

"You can tell a gelding, ask a mare, but you must discuss it with a stallion."

Risk-Averse Rider
May. 12, 2004, 05:19 PM
(Another story to distract you, Mlle...)

A while back (a year or two, I think), I rode Prozac Pony one Sunday morning and left him happily tucked up in his stall munching his brunch.

That evening, I got a call from a friend who was at the barn - "You'd better come out - he's 3-legged lame!"

Sure enough, he was NOT going to put weight on his left front. No swelling. No heat. We thought maybe he had tweaked his shoulder or something... the vet came out, pulled his shoe, didn't really find anything. But we soaked anyway, and had the farrier look at him in the morning. He pared off a little sole and found what he thought was an old abcess track. Put some kind of blue Play-Doh type stuff in his frog crevices, put the shoe back on with a pad, and he went back to his stall.

When I took him out of his stall Tuesday morning, I never would have had a second thought about riding him. On Wednesday, he gave a munchkin a bareback walk/trot ride (my lazy-bones answer to handwalking ;-)

Nothing ever erupted from either the top or bottom of the hoof, but, dang, was he LAME for a bit.

Jingling that Ski's problem clears up as quickly.

littlecelticpony
May. 12, 2004, 06:34 PM
yikes! ::jingles:: hope all is well!

(]-~-[) * * * (]-~-[)
"I touched the BLOOD!" - Kelly
"I killed your cat! I thought it would bring closure to our relationship!" - Rocco

subk
May. 12, 2004, 07:16 PM
Keep checking for heat. Abscesses are an evolving thing and just because you don't find heat in the morning doesn't mean there won't be heat in the evening. Also (you probably know this) remember to "comparison check" against the other foot. I find closing my eyes helps focus and increase my sensitivity. Any chance your vet can do thermography? (I think that's what they call the camera that finds heat.)

As much as you hate it, if it is an abscess it IS a waiting game. A little arnica might help too.

Bensmom
May. 12, 2004, 08:39 PM
A rear foot? Hmmm -- I'm going to join the chorus and suggest that it might be an abcess, even though the vet doesn't think so.

I'd try to draw one out -- I don't soak my guys, because I want to live to see the next day dawn http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif but I make a soupy paste with epsom salts and pack it into the foot with a diaper and leave it on overnight instead. That seems to work fairly well, and I don't end up in the hospital (for some reason, both of my boys absolutely refuse to place a foot in a bucket)

Last summer, Buzz came up really lame on the foot that has the broken coffin bone. I KNEW it wasn't an abcess -- was absolutely positive, in fact.

We were assuming EPM in his case, as he wasn't 3 legged on it, but had it present as an inability to canter and he failed the neuro tests.

I'm not the kind to wait and see either -- but 6 weeks and $1100 later, what I had was --- you guessed it, an abcess. It came out both the top and the bottom of that foot. I still think it was somehow related to the coffin bone fracture, but the vets don't. If you get really bored while you are waiting, this link (http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=6656094911&f=5206053911&m=66560234) will let you follow along on my long boring trek to discover what was really wrong.

I know how scared and frustrated you must be and we'll keep hoping that it resolves itself with an answer and soon,

Libby

*Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*

Miss Maddie
May. 12, 2004, 08:55 PM
Animalintex poultice works great for your purposes, and can't hurt anything.

Both times my horse was so lame and the vet thought coffin bone fracture there was no heat, swelling, pulse, or sensitivity to hoof testers. Nor any sign anywhere of any sort of puncture or wound.

IFG
May. 13, 2004, 04:33 AM
Mademoiselle,

When my horse was funky, I called the farrier. I have had Murphy for nearly 6 years, and I know spring is witching time for abscesses. Farrier came down, said it's the foot. We soaked. He got better. We both hate the bucket!

Funny thing is, the Farrier said, "Lany, couldn't you feel the heat and pulse in that foot?"

Well actually, no I couldn't. I'm pretty good about lameness and heat. I knew it was the foot, but even after he confirmed it, I had trouble feeling the heat and pulse. Maybe it's an over forty, insensitive old lady hand thing? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif In fact, I spent most of the time while his foot was in the bucket trying to feel the difference in pulse between the two feet, and I couldn't. I guess that it's a really good thing that I went into epidemiology instead of medicine.

Hopefully, you will soak, he will get better, and you will hate the bucket too.

Reed, good luck on Friday, I'll think of you!

[This message was edited by IFG on May. 13, 2004 at 08:02 AM.]

IFG
May. 13, 2004, 04:59 AM
Forgot to add, the farrier said that one test of an abscess is that you can give all the bute in the world, and he still won't feel better.

mademoiselle
May. 13, 2004, 05:38 AM
So, this morning, Ski was not feeling better BUT ...
Yesterday, I decided to saok his foot and this morning for the first time, I clearly could feel some heat and maybe a pulse http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif
So, I'm gonna keep on treating it like an abscess.

Happy dance, Happy dance, happy dance.

If it's an abscess it means that my baby is gonna feel better very soon. I want my pushy, nippy, goofball back. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EventingDreams
May. 13, 2004, 05:50 AM
Yay!!! Fingers crossed that this abcess pops out in a hurry. My TB came in similarly one day and I too couldn't feel a pulse or heat but started soaking it anyway and sure enough it popped out in 2 spots. Good as new in no time. It's so frustrating when you can't make them feel better that's for sure. Good luck, and keep us posted!

4cornersfarm
May. 13, 2004, 06:19 AM
I had a very nice event horse that I sent out on trial for sale, sound the day he left, came up three legged lame when they trotted him out for their vet at their place. They x-rayed and said they found "navicular changes." They sent him back, I pulled the shoe and started soaking and the abcess popped out a couple of days later. I took him up to my vet, he was sound for them, but they buyers refused to even consider him. I eventually sold him to someone else, but it was a terribly frustrating experience.

If I had a snappy sig, this is where it would go.

jreventer
May. 13, 2004, 06:54 AM
I'd guess abscess. Recently one of my barefoot three year olds came up hopping lame on his hind foot. I checked it over with a fine toother comb, no heat, swelling, pulse, etc. Thought maybe he'd caught his stifle. Checked it daily for several days, no change, but still three legged. Went out of town for a weekend. Came back to a sound horse and a nasty hole from the abscess.

"There are times when you can trust a horse, time when you can't, and times when you have to."

www.boo.riana.com (http://www.boo.riana.com)

FairWeather
May. 13, 2004, 12:23 PM
abcess http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

quick test--bute him, if he doesnt respond to bute, then more than likely you are dealing with an abcess.

Part-Time Angel
May. 13, 2004, 06:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ThirdCharm:
If it is the coffin bone, and you have a good farrier and vet working TOGETHER (very important and sometimes hard to find), I have seen many such cases come back 100%.

JenniferS <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. A horse from my barn broke his coffin bone not once but twice, and has returned to race yet again. Whether or not I agree if that is ethical is a different story, but with special shoeing and some time hes rebounded TWICE now to not only be sound, but race sound.

deltawave
May. 14, 2004, 06:01 PM
How about a "Ski report"? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mademoiselle
May. 14, 2004, 08:26 PM
Update on Ski

I decided to listen to you guys and I started to treat Ski for an abscess (even if he doesn't have one, it's not gonna hurt him).
Soaking, packing, soaking, packing, soaking, packing ... I'm starting to get the rhythm ... Overall, Ski is being a really good boy. The only exception is that he ate his standing bandages during the night - I just have to add them to the list of his other "victims" : 2 Rambos, one no mark blanket, one fly sheet, one fly mask, one pair of WW, 2 pairs of bell boots ...

The vet stopped by my barn today and he still very sceptical about the fact that Ski could have an abscess. So, after a long talk, we decided that the best option would be to go to MSU for a bone scan. I'm little bit worried about the trailering, because ski is still pretty much on 3 legs http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif
Monday morning a very good vet is coming to my barn for a pre-purchase exam and I'm gonna ask him to look at Ski. Then Tuesday, if Ski is feeling a little bit better, I will trailer him to MSU for his bone scan.

I will keep on soaking and poulticing like crazy in the meantime.

I will keep you updated

mademoiselle
May. 14, 2004, 08:31 PM
BTW,

Reed, How did the surgery go for Shiver?

I hope evereyting went well, keep us updated.

Kelly S, Any improvement for your horse ?

Keep us posted guys.

RAyers
May. 14, 2004, 09:48 PM
You know, I am really happy that Ski does not have a broken coffin bone! I would take Ski to MSU, even if he is 3 legged lame. It sounds like the farm vet has run out of options.

As for Shiver, we still haven't gotten to surgery. We just got back the biopsy of the scar tissue today. It looks like it is good news. The tissue is non-neoplastic (not cancerous). Thus we won't have to add chemo to our treatment. The problem is there appears to be a large bacterial infection that we will have to identify after surgery. In the meantime Shiv is in a splint that goes from his fetlock to elbow and is not happy. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Surgery will be Monday(standing, thankfully) and I will scrub in with the doctors. Hopefully Shiv will come home Tuesday and hopefully insurance will pay and hopefully we all can live happily ever after. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Yes, how about everyone else? Should this become the "My horse is hurt, the season is over, and this sucks thread?" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Reed

Bensmom
May. 14, 2004, 10:05 PM
Good news about Shiver -- I'll keep jingling from here for him and for ski.

Anyone want to talk to me about check ligaments?

Ben's on ice, literally and figuratively. Swollen check/accessory ligament. Not very hot, not very painful, not very lame (at least until he pulled a shoe on the other front foot while we were making him go in circles http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif

We are going to ultrasound Monday morning. In the meantime, ice, poultice, ice, wrap, no turnout and more ice.

Aieeee -- the things they can do in turnout, even while wearing spiffy boots. Grrrrrr.

Best case is that it is just a little swelling in the area and we'll crawl back to work, worst case I understand that we'll be in the stall for a couple of months http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I'm trying so hard to be positive! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Libby

Blugal
May. 14, 2004, 11:39 PM
About the soaking in the bucket thing...

I've been there and done that, got the T-shirt wet. What I prefer are those black rubber "grain tubs" that are low and flat which sit on the ground, and the edges are about 5-7 inches tall. They require more water, but what I do is put the epsom salts in a pile at one edge, lift my horse's hoof and place it on the pile, add water. (Took one or two days for him to get the hang of not moving while I added the water!) I keep a kettle beside me and re-heat as needed. This method worked 100% better than the buckets. My horse stepped on the edge once, the water all poured out, and he didn't freak out (and I didn't worry about him getting his leg stuck in a plastic bucket, or worse, the metal handle). And there were no terrible noises of flipping-over bucket when this happened!

Good luck Mlle.

IFG
May. 15, 2004, 07:11 PM
Blugal,

Yes, by bucket I meant the round, low, black ones. I do have some happy news. Blacksmith was out for the first time since the abscess burst o Friday. Reshod Murphy, said that I was right about where it burst through, and OK'd us for our first XC school of the season today. Yipee, he was feeling so good he was taking off in the gallop. Flashing back to the track I think, but at least this time, I could stop him. He just seemed so happy to be out there. Best of luck to Ski and Shiver.

Lookout
May. 15, 2004, 07:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IFG:
Forgot to add, the farrier said that one test of an abscess is that you can give all the bute in the world, and he still won't feel better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that's right because there's no inflammation to reduce.

Sannois
May. 16, 2004, 04:51 AM
Mademoiselle, I am Jingling like crazy for you!!! That all your soaking will produce an absess and All the trouble will be over!! Please let us know!
And Rayers!! Hope shiv is on the mend soon! So very sorry about it! Does this mean that now you might start adding to the shiver and legs story??? With all thisa extra time on your hands??? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

deltawave
May. 16, 2004, 05:45 AM
It's not so much that there isn't any inflammation going on with an abscess (pus being the ULTIMATE by-product of rampant inflammation) but that the pain with an abscess is due to the PRESSURE, which nothing but opening/draining can alleviate.

ChampionMercedes
May. 16, 2004, 06:43 PM
Oh my gosh!! I am so sorry about Ski.

Please feel no hesitation to call me if you need stalls done, buckets cleaned, horses fed. etc. etc while you are busy with vet stuff. Or if you just need to vent!

I hope Ski gets back to his normal goofy self soon! Keep me posted!

Bogie
May. 16, 2004, 07:07 PM
Absolutely hands down the best way to soak is by using a Davis soaking boot.

Stick the horse on the cross-ties, put the boot on and pour hot water and epsom salts in the boot.

Works like a charm!

Carol Ames
May. 16, 2004, 07:29 PM
Icertainly hope it is "only" an abcess which,opens soon.They can have a horselooking "fracture lame"; has anyone suggested a nuclear scan?, they can sometimes be misleading,but, can also show the vets whwhere to look. btw., hrush can mimic a coffin bone break Are you poulticing, as well as soaking?, and putting on a "silver slipper" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, with duct tape to keep the poultice on ,and, working round the clock? Hope you see some progresss soon,bless you for going in, and grooming him, http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif i'm sure he appreciated it as well. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

NMS
May. 17, 2004, 06:45 AM
MME,

I would get my farrier out before heading to MSU...if you have a good one he can find the track. I had the cutest little Irish TB that came in from the paddock one day absolutely three-legged lame, would not weight-bear AT ALL.

Nothing showed up on x-rays (I called in a panic). The vet advised me to call the farrier. The farrier found the track, opened it, and we did the Bowie mud/vinegar/epsom salts slippers for a month. The farrier also found old scarring from previous abscesses, but after that they too grew out. I found that the best remedy was to find a better-balanced feed, so after I switched to Buckeye Cadence I had no troubles at all. The addition of calcium and selenium seemed to increase his hoof growth and strengthen his hooves immensely.

An old polo player friend of mine also blows them out with ...carburator (spelling??) cleaner.

The good news is that once the pressure is relieved they can go from dead lame to almost sound overnight.

Best of luck MME.

mademoiselle
May. 17, 2004, 06:26 PM
First I wanted to thank you for your support. Eventing people and COTHERs rock http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Today, I had my very good vet at the barn. He came to vet check a horse that one of my customers wanted to buy (the horse didn't pass http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif).
So, he thinks that my boy has an abscess http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif
For the 1st time, Ski has some temperature and he is showing a few symptoms that could lead to an abscess.
My vet took a set of new X-Rays (different views) and I will give him a call tomorrow morning to see if I still have to go to MSU.

My farrier is scheduled for Wednesday to come.

So, I still soaking and poulticing, and there is maybe some hope http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Risk-Averse Rider
May. 17, 2004, 06:34 PM
Merveilleux!!! (or however that's spelled ;-)

That's great news.

horsebabe11
May. 17, 2004, 06:45 PM
Yay!!! Thats fantastic news! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif I hope it is an abscess...much better than a broken coffin bone http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mademoiselle
May. 18, 2004, 06:18 AM
I'm so happy, I'm so happy http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My horse has an abscess !!!

If somebody would have told me that I would do the happy dance because my horse has an abscess I would probably not have believed it !!!!

I talked to my good vet and he saw some "dirt" in ski's foot on the X-Rays he took yesterday ! Te coffin bone is perfect and now I have just to wait for "everything" to pop out !

Ok, time to go to do some soaking, poulticing and grazing http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Thanks guys for helping me (You were the ones who convinced me to treat him for an abscess since the beginning and you were right).

The people on the BB are the best.

Watch for Ski very soon. I will maybe try to take some pictures of him so you can see my baby. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif

NMS
May. 18, 2004, 08:08 AM
MME,

Get the farrier to cut it out if you can, or create a "hole" to releive the pressure. It will help the healing process along immensely.

Send me some pics! I have not seen him since you bought him!!

Nanc

ChampionMercedes
May. 18, 2004, 03:58 PM
I'm glad things are looking up!!

I e-mailed you pics of Ski from the CANTER event.

Carol Ames
May. 18, 2004, 04:36 PM
Hooray!,great news!Keep up the soaking andoulticing, you'll soon become expert with fitting "silver slippers http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif"Be prepared for it tolook GROSS!, when the abcess is opened http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gifbut, he will feel so much better immediately.Count your blessings! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

mademoiselle
May. 18, 2004, 05:08 PM
You were all so nice with me that I wanted to show you "the famous" SKI.

Champion Mercedes sent me some pictures of my boy at his 1st event.

ski face (http://community.webshots.com/album/90575042NgNilx)

deltawave
May. 18, 2004, 05:08 PM
That's wonderful news! Well, you know what I mean... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You will be amazed at how much better he feels when it drains. And probably all this "bonding" will make him look to you even more as his trusted human. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Risk-Averse Rider
May. 18, 2004, 05:16 PM
GORGEOUS!!!

(and he swims, too... just gotta loff doing dressage in muck!)

horsebabe11
May. 18, 2004, 05:29 PM
how tall is he?!?!?!?

He is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!!!!!

bigdreamer
May. 18, 2004, 06:57 PM
yay!!! such happy news! I am so happy for you! I can't tell you how sad I was when I saw your post, and now to know he is gunna be a-ok is super! *does happy dance* I'll have some chocolate on Ski's account tonight http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Peggy
May. 18, 2004, 10:56 PM
Yeah!!!!!

Sannois
May. 19, 2004, 03:58 AM
OMG What a wonderful Eye he has! And I am so Happy its just an abscess!! LOL Hard to believe we are cheering for an abscess but much better than the other!!! I hope you will inform the first vet about his BAD diagnosis!!! And over the phone no less!!!

KellyS
May. 19, 2004, 07:43 PM
Hi all! Mademoiselle, thank you so much for inquiring about Rocky - I certainly didn't want to high jack your thread!

The radiographs did not show a coffin bone fracture and we proceeded with poulticing, soaking, bute, and standing wraps. Within two to three days, he did improve and was pretty much weight-bearing on the foot; however, in the past two days (when we pulled him off the bute) he has become very lame again. The most likely cause of lameness - probably a deep bruise. SUBK questioned how the vet could "rule out" an abscess, but it really is the least likely cause especially since he was sounder on the bute, and completely unsound without it. Plus, the vet just treated my other horse for an abscess which was a tough one to find, so I do trust his judgement that this is probably not one!

Rocky lives the good life of mostly retired, so there is no pressure for him to be back to riding, but I hate these unexplained soundnesses and would like 100% resolution. The vet and I are working on figuring out what is going on and my farrier will also be out this week to take a look.

The kicker last week was the day after Rocky came up so terribly lame, my other horse (the one I event) managed to get his head stuck in the fence and ripped open the bottom of his jaw - another emergency vet call and stitches to boot! Thankfully, with the aid of a drop noseband, I can continue to ride him (a normal noseband won't work until the wound heals). What a stressful week - one day I have a horse who acts like his leg is broken and the next day the other one is bleeding from his head when I arrive at the barn. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif

I'll keep jingling for all our guys! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

mademoiselle
May. 26, 2004, 02:04 PM
The last 2 days Ski was really in pain and despite all the soaking and poulticing, the abscess was still not blowing out http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif.
Yesterday, Ski felt so bad that was lying flat on his side and moaning at dinner time. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif
I called my vet today to see if we could find a way to make my "horsey" feel a little bit better. And also because his "good" leg is now twice as big as normal. After 2 weeks supporting all the weight, the hock just gave up. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
At this point, Ski was too weak to stand on his legs. My vet freaked out and told me to go to MSU as soon as possible.
After the most horrible haul I have had (the poor horse was on 3 legs all the way http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif), I arrived and the vets took some X-rays.

They found a "huge hole" (way bigger that a quarter !!!) in his bone and an infection in the bone ! The infection is on its way to the coffin joint which is really, really bad.

So, Ski is having surgery tomorrow morning to try to drain the infection from the bone (he will have a full anesthesia). They will have to remove the whole sole and make a special shoe/cast to help to support everything.
He will stay at MSU for at least several weeks and eventually come back home for 6 months (minimum) of stall rest.
The good news is that if he heals, he will not have any problems with his foot.
The bad news is that the vet is not sure to be able to get rid of all the infection and he is afraid that it will start again or get worse. If so, I will may have to put him down.

Right now I don't what to think. I'm happy to finally what is going wrong. But, I'm really afraid of the all thing.

Everybody had been very supportive at MSU and all the students are in love with Ski. He is already the favorite at the barn. He is happy to have a bunch of young girls feeding him treats (he thinks he is in heaven).

I will try to go to brush him and give him a kiss everyday. I already miss him.

I will keep everybody updtated

wanderlust
May. 26, 2004, 02:28 PM
Oh, mademoiselle, many jingles coming your and Ski's way!

oldbutnotdead
May. 26, 2004, 02:29 PM
Hugs!

Be thankful for the powerful antibiotic drugs and skillful surgery techniques that will be used on Ski.

Best wishes.

Evalee Hunter
May. 26, 2004, 02:30 PM
I think you can be very hopeful of a good outcome. My daughter's filly had surgery for a similar problem last summer (had part of the coffin bone removed) & she is now sound & under saddle. She had the surgery at home in the barn & we doctored her for many, many months - very hard work removing the plate which was bolted to the shoe every day to doctor the hoof. She colicked as a result of staying in & was hospitalized for 5 or 6 days for colic but otherwise her recovery was uneventful, just long.

drifting cloud
May. 26, 2004, 03:57 PM
I haven't posted on this thread before, but I have been following it.

Just wanted to send you and Ski (((((BIG HUGS))))) and lots of good vibes from South Carolina. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Modern medicine and procedures can do SO MUCH nowadays. Plus, Ski wants to pull through and get better. Don't give up yet! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Perfect Pony
May. 26, 2004, 04:00 PM
I am so sorry to hear your terrible news. I was so, so happy to hear it was an abscess, how terrible to find out it is more. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way!!!!

KarenC
May. 26, 2004, 04:46 PM
I hadn't posted on this thread originally, because I was someone who had a horse with a fractured coffin bone who had to be put down. I was happy to hear it was just an absess, and now this - I'm so sorry. But, I know he is going to be taken care of at one of the best clinics in the country, if not the world (sorry if that sounds like an ad, but my husband was just accepted to vet school there!). Seriously, know that at the very least, you are giving him the best possible care. Please keep us posted about his progress, and I'll keep jingling the curb chains for you guys.

Painted Wings
May. 26, 2004, 07:22 PM
Well, this thread has made me feel better about my own vets. My old mare was lame the other day. We called the vet. She diagnosed an irritated tendon and to keep her on stall rest for four days. After four days she was sound and we turned her back out. Two days later she was three legged lame. Had the vet back out and the horse blocked sound after blocking only the heal. She thought maybe it was a broken coffin bone. Vet out the next day for Xrays, nothing broken but something on the Xrays indicated to them it was an abcess. She came out the next day to drain the abcess which had already popped that same day at the coronary band.

On another note I do know a horse with a broken coffin bone that recovered and is still foxhunting today at age 18.

Hope your horse has a full and complete recovery.

RAyers
May. 26, 2004, 07:25 PM
Madamemoiselle,

I am so srry about this turn of events. MSU is a good school.

I will have some drinks for both of us at High Prairie this weekend and toast to our getting out there next year. I'll keep hoping!

Reed

ShowBiz
May. 26, 2004, 10:46 PM
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Sending major thoughts, prayers & jingles to Ski...hoping for an uneventful recovery. Plenty of (((hugs))) to you as well, mademoiselle, you are doing everything possible for your boy...what a good mommy you are. </span>

Robby Johnson
May. 27, 2004, 03:56 AM
I'm so sorry about Ski! My fingers are crossed for a quick and uneventful surgery/recovery.

Robby

frugalannie
May. 27, 2004, 04:58 AM
Jingles and fingers crossed for Ski!

NMS
May. 27, 2004, 06:01 AM
MME,

I am so, so sorry. He is in the best of hands at MSU. They do all the surgeries for the CANTER owned horses up there and they do wonders. Be sure to mention he's a CANTER horse, they are such tremendous supporters of the program up there. I feel for you M; I know how much you love this horse. Jingles on every curbjain and dog collar I own for you...

Nanc

Timex
May. 27, 2004, 06:02 AM
lots of jingles for poor ski!!

slp2
May. 27, 2004, 06:23 AM
Lots of jingles for Ski! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif My office is right off of MSU campus. Let me know if you want me to stop out and give him a carrot, hug, or check on him! He is in the best possible care if he is at MSU. Hope the surgery goes well this morning.

SillyHorse
May. 27, 2004, 09:56 AM
Jingles from the silly horse, who is a close personal friend of Mademoiselle. Fingers and hooves are crossed for a quick, full recovery.

OakesBrae
May. 27, 2004, 11:27 AM
Jingles for Ski...

IFG
May. 27, 2004, 02:06 PM
I'm so sorry. I was so happy to hear that it was an abscess. Good luck with the surgery!

rusti
May. 27, 2004, 03:01 PM
I'm so sorry about your Ski, Sending good thoughts, prayers and jingles your way.

mademoiselle
May. 27, 2004, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your support.

The surgery was very long (almost 3 hours and a half) but everything went well, even better than expected.
During the surgery they found a hole in the frog and the vet thinks that he stepped on a sharp object. Now, we know how everything started. It was a big part of the puzzle.

As they were able to find this hole it was easier for them to know where to dig and they didn't remove the whole sole, just half of it.
The surgeon was very good, he sent some people to tell me what was going on (I watched the surgery behind a window). In additon to the hole in the bone and the bone infection they found a deep abscess and 2 pieces of dead bone floating around (I understand now why he was so lame even with 6g of Bute !).
He was OK after the anesthesia and the vet told me that he was a very smart horse (the way he got up was very good ...).
After that he was all shaky on his legs like a foal for almost an hour but when I left, he was begging to everybody around to get some peppermints and some food. So I guess, he was fine http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif And because he is so cute, all the students are crazy about him and he is spoiled.

Tomorrow, I will try to go to visit him after my dressage show (I ride my warmblood to stay in shape !).
The vet said that we will know better about Ski's recovery in 10 days. We have to wait to see if we got rid of the infection. If not, he needs a new surgery. The problem is that I'm already at the maximum of what the insurance covers and I don't think I can afford it. It is so expensive (if we do a 2nd surgery, the total vet bill is gonna be over $10,000 !!!!). I'm a little bit worried. But I will wait and see, there is nothing I can do right now.

The people at MSU are wonderful and I know they are doing their best to "save" him.

He seemed very happy to see me after the surgery. He is really a mama's boy. Everybody was laughing when they saw him following me like a dog everywhere. I will try to go visit him everyday (I have a barn full of horses at home, but it makes me sad to see his stall empty and to know that he is alone up there).

I will keep you updated.

Peggy
May. 27, 2004, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear that it went well today.

Janet
May. 28, 2004, 07:22 AM
YAEH for a good surgery. Keeping fingers crossed for a rapid and uneventful recovery.

INoMrEd
May. 28, 2004, 02:16 PM
Having just read this whole thread - I really wish you and Ski the very best. He is a gorgeous C.A.N.T.E.R. creature. Good luck to you!

mademoiselle
May. 28, 2004, 05:32 PM
I don't know if my nerves will handle this kind of stress for very long.
I was at a Dressage show with my ex-eventer/dressage wannabe horsey when I received a call from MSU.
They got the results back from the lab and the coffin joint had a serious infection. Yesterday they spent 10 minutes to explain to me that an infection in the coffin joint would be the worst scenario http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
So, the only option to try to save Ski was to perform a new surgery to "flush" the joint and look carefully with camera in there to see how much damage the infection has done so far.
Full anesthesia again, 1 hour surgery and my boy seems fine.
During the surgery they were amazed because the joint didn't really look as bad as the lab results suggested. Actually, the joint was fairly clean. So, I would say it is maybe not that bad http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
All the staff told me today that Ski was a very, very tough horse with an amazing spirit. They said that we would be really lame for at least 2 weeks, and this afternoon when they walked him to block he was barely off !
He is a very good patient and I busted the vet giving a handfull of carrots !
He is playing sweeatheart with all the students and he is getting spoiled.
Today I spent one hour playing with him and grooming him. He seemed very happy.

I'm going back tomorrow morning, where I will see the vet for the 1st check post-surgery.

Bensmom
May. 28, 2004, 09:01 PM
Best wishes for a positive recovery from here on!

Hugs and carrots to Ski . ..

Libby

FlightCheck
May. 29, 2004, 03:42 AM
Yes, hugs and kisses from Florida.

Last year a student's horse had a bad abcess, resulting in the removal of the sole and a LOT of "stuff" inside.

It took 6 months, but he is a healthy, sound horse.

Good luck!

drifting cloud
May. 29, 2004, 09:47 AM
Still thinking positive thoughts for you and Ski! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif I am sorry you are both going through this, but hopefully the worst is behind you now. Please keep us updated! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sophie
May. 29, 2004, 03:00 PM
Lots of jingles for Ski, and good for you for getting to the bottom of it. Let's hope the vet bills won't be too outrageous.
I'm really hoping he's on the road to recovery.
Keep us posted!

Sannois
May. 30, 2004, 04:19 PM
Hugs and Prayers for you and Ski Mademoiselle! He sounds like just the Best boy! And they are taking great care of him! Lots of jingles that he will be back getting in shape for eventing again!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

mademoiselle
Jun. 2, 2004, 06:00 PM
First, Ski is doing very, very well !

He is by far the shinniest horse at MSU http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif He is so clean and shinny he looks ready to go to a show !

Today, I was allowed to walk him of his stall to eat some grass. To show to everybody that he is a real eventing horse, he jumped all the white lines of the parking lot http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Oh well, he is doing so well that they scheduled an appointment with their farrier to make a special shoe with a plate that you can screw in to hold the bandage (I don't know how to explain it, but it's very neat!)

When I arrived in the barn today, he greeted me with a big loud winnie and then followed me like a big puppy. It's kind of weird, but it seems that the bond between us is even stronger now.

The vets are so nice and I made some good friends (I promised a French dinner to the 3 vets who took care of my baby). Since I brought some cookies to the team, I'm pretty popular around here http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

It feels so good to not see my horse in pain anymore. He is back to his normal self (bratty and pushy).

Thank you again for your good thoughts, it helped me a lot during this hard period.

Ski is not out of the wood yet, but he is getting there.

maplebrook
Jun. 2, 2004, 06:24 PM
I'm so glad Ski is doing well. I've been watching the board, waiting for you to post an update. I'm so happy that it's a good update this time! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
The MSU vets are amazing! I'm not surprized they found a way to help Ski. We in Michigan are lucky to have such a great vet school available to us.

annikak
Jun. 2, 2004, 08:05 PM
Having read the entire thing- god am I sorry for you! When we owned Brookside (in your neighborhood) we had a horse that did a coffin bone injury- and he healed fine. But as I read more, the story got worse. I am so sorry.
I had my horse at state and the farrier there and Dr N made shoes for him- eventually glued Sigafus shoes on him! We were quite the team at that point- and my daughter worked there then....and there we all stood over this hoof for hours. Anyway, they were great.

I have taken horses to Rood and Riddle, as well as Hagyard-Davidson-McGee and they are super, too. Rood and Riddle has amazing farriers and they invented the shoe that you are speaking of.

As far as finding an abcess, my vet actually injected dye into a small track (we were hopeful) and we followed it up to the actual abcess. We were at out wits end at that point. But we were able to find it, call our farrier and get things taken care of.

Jingles to you, and you are in our thoughts.

asterix
Jun. 3, 2004, 05:30 AM
Yay! He's out of his stall and getting his personality back!
Congratulations on getting this far!
I have been following along lurking...
and, yes, your bond with him will definitely get stronger. I spent the first 2 years owning my horse wrapping, handwalking, grooming, handwalking, trailering to vet, stroking nose while getting injections, shockwave, funny shoes, etc. We didn't get a whole lot of riding time in...
but he sure knows who his momma is after all that TLC!

FairWeather
Jun. 3, 2004, 12:26 PM
i've been rooting for you guys! So glad to hear he's on the upswing.
I was dealing with a possible coffin bone infection (we werent sure if it was or not) but it looks like we dodged a bullet.

So glad that your baby is doing well.

drifting cloud
Jun. 3, 2004, 02:56 PM
YAY SKI!!!! Keep healing, you cute horsie! You can do it! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hope today has been another good day for him. Tomorrow, even better!

SillyHorse
Jun. 4, 2004, 01:10 PM
I'm so very, very glad to hear that Ski is heading for a good recovery, Mlle! I've been thinking of you both.

ChampionMercedes
Jun. 5, 2004, 07:46 AM
I'm so happy Ski is doing well! When does he get to go home? I'm sure the other horses miss him! Give him hugs and kisses from me http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

mademoiselle
Jun. 6, 2004, 03:17 PM
My baby is coming back home tomorrow http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm so happy you wouldn't believe it.

The vets are shaking their head, they don't understand how he recovered so quickly. They call him the "miracle" !
Right now he still has a huge hole in his foot and part of his coffin bone his missing and but he is walking normally (not even sore on it) with only 1g of bute per day http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I have a quick story from this w-e. I was at MSU and they told me that I could take him out to graze. I went on the grass and then when it was time to go back to his stall Ski looked at the curb like it was a 5 feet drop from the Rolex (picture a 3 inche step !!!!) and refused to go down the step ! All the vets were joking about my "eventing" horse who didn't want to take a 3 inch step !
After 3 full minutes of acting like a stuborn idiot (at this point I was already totally humiliated http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/dead.gif), he decided to go http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif.
I will have to go for a check once a week (to take x-rays and do analysis of the joint fluid) but he is on his way for a full recovery.

He will have a few weeks of hand grazing and stall rest, but pretty soon he should be allowed to get some turn-out.

I will keep you updated.

Does anybody have some books to recommand for some ground work. I would like to "work" with him when he is recovering. I'm afraid that he will get bored with nothing to do and it would be fun to teach him some different skills !

bigdreamer
Jun. 6, 2004, 04:36 PM
madem- I am so happy ski is well onto the road for recovery! I have been keeping an eye on the thread and keeping my fingers crossed for him- I'm so happy for you! Best of luck for a continued speedy recovery! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif give Ski a few treats for me, though I know he is probably spoiled rotten as it is! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

mademoiselle
Jun. 8, 2004, 08:42 PM
That's it, I'm fed up http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/uhoh.gif. I'm seriously thinkning about quitting the horse world ... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Since end of April, my life is a complete nighmare.

It started with an as#@^%~& in the parking lot of the grocerie store who destroyed the whole side of my dually and left.

Then, my dead quiet warmblood had a spaz in the trailer and tried to jump thru the drop down window. Of course, he managed to stuck his shoe in the aluminum bars and frame and was hanging like this with his other foot in the feed bag !
We're able to free him by destroying the window and a piece of the trailer !

Then Ski got lame with the all nightmare going with it.

And tonight, Ski had mild colics (related to the very hot weather).
And the project horse that I bought to keep me busy during Ski's recovery is on 3 legs ! He is dead lame on the right hind (well not as lame as Ski, but still pretty lame)

I decided to soak his foot (I think it's an abscess) and if Thursday he doesn't feel better, I will put him in my broken trailer that I will pull with my totalled dually and go to MSU ! (well, actually Ski and the Dually are fixed).

BTW, my neighbour's mare has an abscess and I'm helping her to treat it and one of my boarders's horses has hole in his head and I have to take care of it twice a day.

I'm seriously thinking about becoming a vet/vet tech ... at least I would make money when I'm spending my days and evenings to take care of lame/sick horses.

Sorry, for the vent but I feel that this bad luck will never end (of course my husband is on business trip evrytime something happened http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif)

tractor queen
Jun. 9, 2004, 07:16 AM
Hey Girl- Don't give up! we all have times like these (that is what insurance is for! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

It helps me to think of all the things I do have (and at times take for granted):

1) My health
2) My freedom (not true for women everywhere)
3) My friends

drifting cloud
Jun. 9, 2004, 07:47 AM
The old expression "when it rains, it pours" is definitely true sometimes!

Just hang in there. Take it one day at a time (or one hour at a time!). Things WILL get better.

I also agree with tractor queen. You are going through a bad time now, but try to remember all the GOOD things that you have. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

tle
Jun. 9, 2004, 08:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sorry, for the vent but I feel that this bad luck will never end (of course my husband is on business trip evrytime something happened ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's teh solution... hubby can't go out of town ever again! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif Sorry... just the smart@ss in me had to say that. hopefully it gave you a smile.

Chin up! things will start "working" again!

annikak
Jun. 10, 2004, 07:41 PM
Oh Dear!

If you need any help getting anywhere, I can help- Hate trailer/truck issues! Was just at South Lyon Motors to get a part for my trailer so I certainly "Get it"

It will get better- and know that you have MI people that would love to help should you need it. Please ask if needed.

Annika

deltawave
Jun. 11, 2004, 05:21 AM
Yes, ask away! My truck and trailer know the way to MSU all by themselves...happily not for any dreadful reasons, just the usual horse "stuff". http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

mademoiselle
Jun. 14, 2004, 07:17 PM
I wanted to give you an happy udpate. It's seems that the "bad luck cloud" that was hanging around my barn is finally gone http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

So, Ski is at home and he is doing very well.I went to MSU for a check-up and all the vets were really impressed by his speedy recovery. He is now getting bute and getting bandages changed every 2 days. He is hand walking and grazing twice a day.
So far he is pretty mellow (thanks to the stiky georgian weather whe have had lately).
In 6 weeks, we will change his shoe for one with a pad and we will take X-Rays and fluid samples. If the results are good, I will be able to put him back in training.
It's kind of strange, but he changed a lot in the past weeks. It's almost like he is more mature now. He is not as goofy as he was before his injury. I don't now if it's because he is still in pain or if he decided to chill out.

My other horses are doing much better too.

The only thing is now to find some time to fix the trailer and I'm all set !

Thank you again for your kind words. It helped a lot.
TLE, do you think I should worry ? Because, my husband is gone on a business trip again ? Time to wrap everybody in bubble wrap ! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif
And Michiganders, thank you for the trailers ! I'm lucky enough that my trailer is big (too big when I have to park it) and I still can use it (I just can't put any horse in the first stall).

Timex
Jun. 15, 2004, 07:30 AM
yeah ski! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Xctrygirl
Jun. 15, 2004, 07:56 AM
Oh Mdme I am soo glad to hear that Ski is doing so well.

Don't worry about the black clouds. The thing about clouds is that they're at the mercy of currents and really can never stay in one place.

Smile, it'll make you feel better and keep doing it. It does help.

~Emily

ChampionMercedes
Jun. 15, 2004, 01:51 PM
I'm sooo happy things are going well again http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif You and Ski will be back in action in no time.

Thanks soooo much for the lesson yesterday! I loved it http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Great job vaulting too http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mademoiselle
Aug. 4, 2004, 04:54 AM
I wanted to give an happy update to all the ski's fans.
After, 3 months of stall rest (and a few tantrums), ski is going out and being ridden (kind of ...) ... Let's say that for now, it doesn't make any difference if I'm on his back or not, he keeps bucking no matter what.
He is healing very well and I'm thinking about showing him in dressage this coming fall.
I think it's going to be good for him to go to places in dressage, so next year when we event we can score in the 20s (ah, ah, ah http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif, http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

Well, I wanted to thank you for your support and I will keep you updated about him !
BTW, ski decided that this break would be the perfect time to grow a little bit more, he is getting huge !
When, I bought him last september at the track as a 4 YO, he was a small 15.3H leggy OTTB, yesterday when I sticked him, he was a fleshy 16.1 h happy TB ... I hope he's gonna stop growing, I'm only 5'0 and it's harder and harder to get on from the ground !

drifting cloud
Aug. 4, 2004, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the update. What great news that Ski is doing so well! I know you're enjoying every ride after everything he went through! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

annikak
Aug. 4, 2004, 08:25 AM
Great! I have been looking for updates! Terrific- I hate hoof things- (as I drove to the farrier this am to get Tacos shoe on....!!!)
Looking forward to talking to you soon!
Annika