PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy pasture. Gopher mounds, hoof ruts, grass clumps. Too late in season to fix?

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:59 AM
What to do about lumpy pasture with gopher mounds, some hoof ruts, big grass clumps? I moved 2 horses into one of my unused (for about a yr) pastures yesterday. I really don't like how it felt for me to walk in it. What to do about it? Is it too late to roto it? Or would some other implement help?

Are pastures typically replanted in the fall? What if I did it now?

EqTrainer
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:12 PM
Drag it with a heavy drag, tines side down.

Calvincrowe
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:23 PM
I drag my pastures each spring, weighted arena drag, tines down. It levels (to a certain extent) the mole holes, pulls up clumps of dead grass, and leaves me an entry for overseeding and fertilizing. This year, I plan on doing it the first week of April. I'm using lime this year, as I fertilized last year. I'll also walk the field and fill in any holes that remain (my dogs do enjoy digging--bad dogs!).

To reseed, you'd need to till the field (probably done professionally), seed and wait 6-12 months before horses can go out on it. That's why I simply drag, lime and overseed (spread grass seed over field by hand to fill in the bare spots/mole hills/ripped up areas).

Mowing, mowing and more mowing help me control weeds and leaves my fields more level each year (tractor tires vs. mole holes).

And, before I had my tractor, my truck did the dragging duty--my neighbors loved that!:lol: