PDA

View Full Version : Olympic course--1968

vineyridge
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2VpsxNy-Io&feature=youtu.be

It is so much bigger than anything modern showjumpers attempt, isn't it?

But Steinkraus and his TB managed to win the Gold, and Stroller, the pony, won the Silver.

I wish that WEF would have a Nostalgia day and set up some of these old courses for comparison purposes.

Pat Ness
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
That was really great to watch. Now I need to find Stroller doing that round.

BAC
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:40 AM
I don't have time to watch right now, but that must have been the individual course, as Stroller had more trouble in the team event, where the course was even bigger. :eek: Courses were big back then, but I guess they are more technical now, so perhaps it evens out. A great horse and rider is great regardless of the circumstances in my opinion. I saw Stroller jump at MSG and he was amazing, as of course was Snowbound and Bill Steinkraus. The fences at MSG were taller than Stroller. :yes:

fair judy
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
imagine, an OTTB that made good, and jumps bigger courses than today's wunderkind. :cool:

...... and was Just as competitive indoors as on a galloping grand prix course.

KateKat
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:25 PM
holy moses those were HUGE!

Dewey
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for posting! I have been looking for footage of this event forever! Loved watching this impressing performance!

skippy60
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:59 PM
Did you SEE that oxer???

EquineLVR
Mar. 9, 2012, 02:02 PM
WOW - I have never seen fences that big - that wall was HUGE!! No reason why a TB cant compete today - just have to have folks willing to ride and develop them..

Can't believe a pony did that course.. WOW.

EquineLVR
Mar. 9, 2012, 02:04 PM
Was snowbound a gelding? I am assuming yes..