PDA

View Full Version : Too tight field boots! How to stretch????

18EB11
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:46 AM
I just got a pair of Ariat Crowne pro field boots no zip. They were an awesome deal so I was prepared to deal with pulling them on and off.

I got a slim which I know will fit once theyve stretched a bit, they are calfskin after all. I really like the streamlined fit so I dont mind if they are tight. However I managed to get one on yesterday and then it took 15 mins of my mom pulling with me on the floor, my brother laughing and the dogs barking at us, to get it off. I felt like i was going to be stuck wearing it for life, my leg cramped up and I thought I was going to die:eek: (slight exaggeration maybe).

I know I need a boot jack but what's another way to get them to strech before I have to put them back on and risk catastrophe.

Does boot stretch spray work?
Can a shoemaker stretch them? or make the elastic gusset bigger?
Any experience?
Help please I really want to keep them!:confused:

jody jaffe
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:48 AM
here's a tip i got from journeyman saddlers:

alcohol in a spray bottle. spray the inside where you want it stretched. put on the boots and let them stretch.

it worked for me with an ancient pre-childbirth pair of dehners.

Kikki
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:52 AM
They can be stretched but I'd have someone experienced stretch them... they need to be wet, put on a stretcher, then let to dry completely, have you tried soaking them then wearing them? Get them on then get them very wet... people like to stick their legs in a bathtub of hot water. Let the leather soak then wear until bone dry... a number of hours. Ridw in them during this time, walk in them, lots of activity.

comingback
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:07 AM

alcohol in a spray bottle. spray the inside where you want it stretched. put on the boots and let them stretch.

I just looked at the bottle of boot stretch that I had bought and alcohol is the main ingredient.

My boots have zippers but were super tight when I bought them (like I couldn't wear them while I drove my car to the barn because they cut the circulation off to my feet tight). Doused both the inside and outside of the boot (I focused on the inner calf) and wore them till they dried. They stretched out fine and are perfect now.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:07 AM

I was going to say alcohol too, especially if you don't want to do the bathtub trick. I wouldn't send them out to get stretched for fear that they'd stretch too much.

JumpTheFence
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:08 AM
Okay, people at my barn have tried filling their boots with water, then wearing them until they dry... I've never done it but I've heard it works from the people that have tried?

Wholehearted
Mar. 9, 2012, 11:49 AM
I second the bathtub method. I just fill up a tub with warm water, get the boot nice and wet and then put it on over my dry socks and breeches (less water for your feet to shrivel up in) then just wear around until they're dry. I've done this for years with my combat boots.

18EB11
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks! I didn't really think about getting them wet and wearing them. I am a little scared to have them streched because i dont want them to be stretched too much. I like the tight streamlined look:/
So boot stretch/alcohol apparently works too. Ill try that first. the alcohol doesnt dry out the leather? Am I only spraying them on the inside?

comingback
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:50 PM
I sprayed it on the inside as the leather on my boots was unfinished and I figured it would be absorbed quicker. And I used a LOT. You may want to start with a smaller amount to see how much they need to stretch but I used quite a bit.

Once the boots were on, I sprayed more on the outside. I had to rub it it b/c the leather was finished...otherwise the spray just rolled off the boot. I only did this on the inner calf as I wasnt sure if it would affect the finish itself...but they seem fine and I ended up using it all around. The leather doesnt seem to have dried out or been otherwise damaged.

The boots are now two years old and I have no issues with them because of the boot stretch/alcohol.

Romany
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:01 PM

This works really well. Go with rubbing alcohol, if you don't have any gin handy. ;)

I found it was easier to spray my be-socked leg than the insides of the boots, fwiw.

You can also soak them and wear until dry, but again, easier to soak once your legs are in the boots than trying to pull on soggy boots.

Brigit
Mar. 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
The boot stretch spray works really well, I also had to get my streched by a shoemaker as well. If you find someone that knows about riding boots, they'll know what to do and where.
I also always wear the boot socks, they help me get the boots on & off easily and I put baby powder in the bottoms to help them stay dry and come off too.

SquishTheBunny
Mar. 10, 2012, 12:22 AM
and when they are a little stretched, throw some baby powder over your bootsocks. It really makes them easier to get off!

Mukluk
Mar. 10, 2012, 01:46 AM
I had the same problem when I first got my boots (think we have the same kind of boots too). The first time I rode in them I was wearing capris and they felt fine. The next time I wore my breeches and they were starting to hurt within 10 minutes- but I loaded up my horse and got in the truck anyway. We drove a short distance for a trail ride and my leg was throbbing and I was totally dying of pain. It was hard work to get that damn boot off which I had my friend do as soon as we were out of the truck. I later read up on the problem and read about the following: made a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 rubbing alcohol and generously sprayed the inside of the boot where it was too tight (calf). It worked great. I hoped I would last for 15-20 minutes the first time and was just going to keep doing it until they stretched out but the first time, I went on a nearly 2 hour trail ride and felt fine. I hope you'll be able to get those boots comfortable for you. They look so nice now. If that didn't work I might try the bathtub method but it was so easy to do what I did and it worked great!