PDA

View Full Version : Beval LTD

sschuessler
Mar. 9, 2012, 08:07 AM
I found a beval saddle for super cheap and considering getting it on trial... this is the saddle:
http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=k5j2mhkx

What gives? It looks well used, but still with a lot of life left in it and it is under $400....

fatappy
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
I just sold my Beval LTD that was maybe a little newer than this model for $500. There was nothing wrong with my saddle other than normal loose stiching, wear, etc. My Beval LTD was made in Argentina which was why it went for so cheap. My guess is this is also Argentinian made. It's still a great saddle and I had no qualms about the quality. Just sold it cause it didn't fit me well.

Renn/aissance
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:49 AM
This looks like an old-school World Cup and, even factoring in that you may want the billets replaced, it is a steal. :yes: This is my absolute favorite saddle. It rides like a Crosby PDN only, I think, better balanced. This looks like it may be one of the older models with the suede flaps but I can't really tell because of the reflection. Great saddle- I've had two. Good fit on a horse with a moderate wither and without a particularly curvy back; my experience was that the gullet is wide enough to accommodate a variety of horses. It is probably not very expensive because it is older and because the flat without blocks style is not so popular anymore.

FineAlready
Mar. 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
Heck yeah! I'd get that! I just got a Beval LTD 2 to replace my perpetually defective Antares and I really like it. I also still have my old PDN and ride in that sometimes too (thought it really is a bit narrow for my horse, he actually seems to prefer it to any other saddle I've tried on him).

The saddle you linked looks like it would be great to ride in if you like that kind of ride (which I do).

sschuessler
Mar. 9, 2012, 08:16 PM
I think I might just get it at least to try :) I like the flat saddle/ not a lot of padding ride. I just bought a pessoa... but it doesn't fit as well as I would like. There is another beval at my barn that I ride in 9older model but dn't know which one) and it fits great on both horses i would need it to. Thanks! :)

Laurierace
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:43 PM
This is my daughter's saddle. It has some wear but is structurally sound. My daughter loved it and was heartbroken when she outgrew it. They took the pic right after we oiled it so it was sort of greasy looking but it really is a nice saddle. It has been there almost a year without a single bite. I don't get it.

http://www.saddlesource.com/beval-760.html

ponies123
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:58 PM
This is my daughter's saddle. It has some wear but is structurally sound. My daughter loved it and was heartbroken when she outgrew it. They took the pic right after we oiled it so it was sort of greasy looking but it really is a nice saddle. It has been there almost a year without a single bite. I don't get it.

I think 16.5 is an odd size, don't hear of too many people looking for one that size, and so many people want cushion or at least some knee rolls/blocks now. If I could sit in a 16.5 I would love something like this, but I think one cheek would be the best I could hope for.

alto
Mar. 10, 2012, 03:16 AM

More photos would definitely help - I haven't inquired about this particular saddle but had sent several emails requesting further information on used saddles awhile back, & basically received no additional information besides what is on the web page, tried phoning with the same result ... since I live outside the USA, I no longer look at Rick's for any saddle/tack etc as all sales are final :confused:

In contrast, when I spoke with Beval in regard to some saddles (including old models that were for sale elsewhere) they were very pleasant & found as much information as they could about that particular model. :yes:
(unfortunately they also would not ship me :( any test saddles)

westie55
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
Years back I had a saddle very similar to this without a padded flap. Your basic pancake flat Beval saddle that was popular up until the late 90s and started to disappear shortly thereafter.

I sold mine (in good condition) on consignment at Bevals and I remember receiving about $250; I think they had it marked at $350 but obviously they kept a portion of it. It was there for about 3 months and just as I was wondering if it would ever sell, I got a check in the mail.

Those saddles are just not in style now. That's how much they go for!

Trees4U
Mar. 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Older model. No knee rolls but the padded flaps look good. Ad says seat size 17 with a 13" flap- it may be a short flap. How tall or long legged are you? Foam panels don't look flat. Try it.

Claddagh
Mar. 10, 2012, 09:36 AM

That is the BEST saddle e-v-e-r! Beval LTD (before they started putting padded knees on it). I still have mine even though it doesn't fit my current horses. I absolutely LOVED that saddle - never felt so "at home" and secure - truly a DREAM saddle. I could never sell it, even though it doesn't most horses (wide tree ordered for my late "no withers" TB). Maybe I'll just have to buy a horse to fit my saddle rather than the other way around :lol: :lol:

Maybe you could add "original LTD" to your daughter's saddle description. They were top of the line, made in England (and $$$) when they were "the saddle" in the show world. Somebody is going to get very lucky when they buy your saddle! And I wouldn't worry about the size - 16.5 is a pretty standard size for that type of saddle. Mine is 16" and fits like a glove.

Boo-Hoo - I SO miss riding in my LTD. Maybe your daughter and I should have a pity-party together :winkgrin:.

Laurierace
Mar. 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
How about I get it back and any of you can test ride in it? They obviously aren't doing me any favors. Heck if you are near Rick's I will give them a call and have them release it straight to you for a trial.

Laurierace
Mar. 10, 2012, 10:05 AM
I think 16.5 is an odd size, don't hear of too many people looking for one that size, and so many people want cushion or at least some knee rolls/blocks now. If I could sit in a 16.5 I would love something like this, but I think one cheek would be the best I could hope for.

16.5 is the most common size saddle made but I agree that many people want something with cushion and blocks. This particular saddle while not cushioned seemed to fit like a glove so it was almost like riding bareback. My daughter truly loved it.