PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Trailer Question

analise
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
I'm interested in a trailer I've seen for sale near me. It's a 2h slant gooseneck, steel stock-type trailer with a dressing room. I've been able to look all in it and peek under it. It definitely at some point will need to be sanded and repainted and can use a good cleaning. But the floor looks in good condition (from what I could see underneath the trailer, I didn't pick the mats up) and it has mats.

I did notice the support beams (is there a better term for them?) under the trailer have oxidization on them though. Unsure how deep it is. Is there some sort of cleaning that ought to be done on them or some kind of sealant? Any thoughts on how much it would cost?

I haven't actually talked to the seller yet, just looked at the trailer so I don't know any other details, really.

They're asking $3500. Does that sound at all reasonable or should I keep looking? I don't need a big trailer (I've only got the one horse) but I'd like the gooseneck/dressing room set-up for possibly camping in the future.

Coolcolt
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:26 PM
the term for the beams that go side to side are crossmembers
if they are tubes there is a possibility of them rusting from the inside out. if they are angle iron(L shaped) or channel ([ shaped) the the thickness is easy to check
with a tube style when tapped with a hammer they should not have a dull thud but rather almost a ring sound

analise
Mar. 9, 2012, 12:05 AM
They're not tubes.

Guess I can go back and tap them. :)