PDA

View Full Version : The saddle quandry

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:19 AM
I'm having issues with saddles. Well, it seems I"m always having issues with saddles!

Just the background, do hunters and my horse is very sensitive to saddle fit. Had a (Norman) Bates saddle that made him so backsore he got a month off. That was a no-go. Bought an Amerigo that he loves, but isn't a long enough flap for me and it makes me perchy but I've been living with it.

Previous trainer rode him in a Butet and he loved it. Used current trainers Butet on him and he was fine. Fits me fine too I guess but I've heard a lot of bad about Butet's making horses backsore.

Tried an Antares on him last night and I loved the saddle. Felt so secure and comfortable. However, Chance got stronger and stronger in it and eventually exploded into a mass hysteria of bucks and rears at the canter and was a little odd and trippy behind in it. NOt normal behavior.

Looking for suggestions? I'm on a tight budget. Current trainer says I can use his Butet until I find a replacement no matter how long so that's a plus.

skittlespony
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
If your horse really likes the Butet and your using your trainers, find out the information about your trainers Butet and see if you can find a used one like it. If it works for your horse than that's the way you should go, despite what you heard.

I know of this good site that people I know have gotten their saddle from. Here is the link:
http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Vl=28&Tp=2 (this is Butet page)

TheJenners
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:36 AM
Have you had a saddle fitter out? He/She might be able to point you in a better direction than people on the Interwebs...

KateKat
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:39 AM
If the Butet fits him, then look for a Butet with the same specs as your trainer's saddle. Just like any other saddle out there, there are horror stories. I think a lot of it is people trying to force a square peg into a round hole-Butets (and any other brand) are made to fit certain types of backs (despite what they might tell you). Good luck, finding a saddle is hard and its even harder if you don't have access to a saddle fitter.

skittlespony
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:39 AM
The second option I can think of here is if your on a tight budget, you could save a small amount every month. Than once you have saved up enough you could call Tad Coffin and have him fit a saddle directly to you and your horse.

melmda
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:48 AM
My old horse had to have a saddle fit to him. I don't know where you are located or what your budget is but I got a Verhan saddle. It isn't that well known but he will make any adjustments and fits it to your horses back. Then he will also measure you for flap & seat. I absolutely love it and as your horses back grows or you get a new horse he will fit the saddle.

ToTheNines
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:54 AM
I second the Tad Coffin. My difficult to fit horse loved the demo, and I can hardly stand to ride in my old saddle while I am waiting for my new one.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
I think the Butet back-sore thing is overhyped. I think it came around when Butets were the saddle du jour and people were using them on everything, with little regard for fit, so of course it made some horses sore. If it fits him and you like it, I'd get one.

(My favorite saddle as far as versatility of fit goes has always been the Tad Coffins, though.)

lachevaline
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:06 PM
Had a (Norman) Bates saddle

Nothing to offer that others haven't already said, but this made me laugh!

Donkerbruin
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:19 PM
I love my Butet more than words can express. Save up and get one.

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
We have a few saddle fitters out here. One I've had out twice but you know sometimes you just get a vibe off someone? He gives me the icky vibe. and he's not done a stellar job wtih the saddle fittings he's done for people I know.

I did talk to the CWD lady in our area and she's going to bring me some samples. The good news is that Chance shows immediate results if he hates it (we changed discpilines to rodeo last night in the Antares) and sweet hunter prince in the Butet and Amerigo.

Thanks for the input. And Tha Ridge, I never thought of it in that terms. If you are the most widely used brand there's going to be horror stories, you're totally right.

I'd be open to trying a Tad Coffin.... but I don't know anyone who would fit them here in Dallas?

KateWooten
Mar. 8, 2012, 02:05 PM
Have you tried getting an independent fitter out - I mean, one that isn't totally tied into one particular brand ? If you tell us where you are, perhaps someone can recommend someone ?

Ibex
Mar. 8, 2012, 02:07 PM
And don't forget to listen to what your HORSE is telling you. We went through several months of perfectly fitted saddles that the mare did NOT like, and the massage therapist was finding soreness. Put her in my trainer's so-so fitting Antares over an ecogold protection pad while I shopped. Had both the CWD and Antares people go on at length about how it was a horrible saddle that didn't fit my horse... meanwhile horse was more relaxed under saddle than she's ever been... and NO sore points after a couple of months of hard work in this set-up.

ToTheNines
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:32 PM
Good point ibex. The last saddle fitter I had out here put the saddle on the horse naked, which is fine, but was totally uninterested in what kind of pads I used. Seems like you would want to fit the saddle with at least a baby pad! Or whatever show pad is used.

Also, two of my horses have custom Skito pads. I sent photos of their backs and Tom made me a special pad to fit them. They love them. The pad inserts are sort of a hard foam and the saddle sits high when you first saddle up. But then everything warms up and everyone is so comfy.

Ibex
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
I've had really interesting conversations with a couple of people lately, one a saddle fitter, and one a saddle maker. BOTH felt that certain shapes or types of horses are just plain more comfortable with some sort of corrective/shock absorbent pad than without. The saddle maker specifically pointed to horses that are very A-Framed, and the fitter to TB types (so in many cases, the same horse), as needing more than a saddle that fits to work comfortably and stay that way.

The other thing that crossed my mind... (and this is purely my hypothesis, and worth every penny that you paid for it :lol: )... Wool is a very precise, but somewhat static fit. Foam is more forgiving, but less precise (leaving out the fact it cannot be altered easily or on the spot). If you have a horse whose back moves around a lot, they may be more comfortable in something more forgiving. I know my mare's back moves significantly as she does, even just trotting around loose, and it was one of the biggest challenges the fitter had - she'd adjust her weight and the whole thing would sit differently.

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
^^^^ This exactly Ibex. My horse always goes around in a wither pad of some kind. typically just a worn out wool one that I have. Last night I rode in a sheepskin one and a new saddle. I thought MAYBE we try the wool pad again and see what happenes.

And he's 'that guy' who changes his shape about twice a year. He gains/loses weight what feels like over night so his body shifts. He's very typical TB but he does need padding. I've done thinline pads and those do agree with him as well.

I've tried a somewhat independent saddle fitter and he was the one that gave me an odd vibe. I'm here in Dallas, TX. I may call Mike Cochran out, I hear he's independent.

Odd because my Amerigo is wool flocked and he loves that but my understanding is Butet are foam correct?

Jo
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:39 PM
Mike is awesome - love him.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:58 PM
Mike is awesome - love him.

Second this. He has been the best in that area for as long as I can remember. Here's his site: http://www.mikecorcoransaddlery.com

skittlespony
Mar. 9, 2012, 09:15 AM
We have a few saddle fitters out here. One I've had out twice but you know sometimes you just get a vibe off someone? He gives me the icky vibe. and he's not done a stellar job wtih the saddle fittings he's done for people I know.

I did talk to the CWD lady in our area and she's going to bring me some samples. The good news is that Chance shows immediate results if he hates it (we changed discpilines to rodeo last night in the Antares) and sweet hunter prince in the Butet and Amerigo.

Thanks for the input. And Tha Ridge, I never thought of it in that terms. If you are the most widely used brand there's going to be horror stories, you're totally right.

I'd be open to trying a Tad Coffin.... but I don't know anyone who would fit them here in Dallas?

You won't have to worry about getting someone to come out to Dallas. I'm pretty sure when you want a saddle Tad sends you some samples, you can see if they work. A lot of the time he will come out and watch you ride, it helps make the saddle. I highly recommend filling out a form for a sample saddle.