PDA

View Full Version : Used Trailer- what to look for

RSEventer
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:45 PM
I am going to look at a used 2 horse trailer for sale this weekend. I feel good about it, it's the configuration I want: bumper pull, aluminium, step up, etc. My question is....what exactly should I look for when I go to see if I want it?
Check the tires, check for rust- not! It's aluminium! Any advice?:)

TBKate
Mar. 8, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pull up the mats and look at the floor--if wood, check for "soft" spots with a small knife; if aluminum, look for oxidation. Look for oxidation all over the trailer. Check the tires; then ask the owner to hook it up so you can see that all the lights and wiring work. Try all the windows and door latches as well. Good luck! :)

M. Owen
Mar. 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
Also bring a flashlight with you and look at the underside of the trailer. It helps to have a large piece of cardboard to lay on so you don't have to lay on the ground.

Coolcolt
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:16 PM
carefully inspect where steel and aluminum come in contact - hitch, suspension, any bolts - aluminum does not rust but rather corrodes, especially where bolts and steel are. If the aluminum swells it can actually snap the bolts and deform steel - the swelling will be powdery in appearance and be between the two different types of metal. Even if it is showing sign of starting it is repairable, but may be costly.

NJRider
Mar. 9, 2012, 10:26 PM
I would ask for records where the bearings and seals have been serviced. I am selling an inexpensive stock trailer and have the receipt for buyers where I just had this maintenance done. Maybe I am crazy...I am looking up to 500 miles away for a newer trailer in the 10-12K range and so far NO ONE appears to have ever had them greased or checked...they just don't care or seem unaware that there is some maintenance involved with having a trailer.