PDA

View Full Version : My Extremely Durable - Yet Safe - Hay Feeder in Action!!!

Firefilly
Mar. 7, 2012, 08:52 PM
First of all, please excuse the mud :(

This has been a horrible year for us - so much mud! Anyway, check out my video. This is my big Belgian mare Della doing what she loves to do pretty much every day! She jumps in and out of the hay feeder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKDDNpzoFDg

I took a long time trying to decide what would be the safest feeder - but my main concern was a thoroughbred mare that I own that LOVES to put her front feet in the water trough. I figured if anyone might get their feet in a feeder and get seriously hurt, it would be my thoroughbred.... so safety was a HUGE factor for my choice of feeder. The surprising thing is that it ended up not being the horse I thought would go in.... it is the Belgian!!!

I have had this feeder for over a year.... and it is still holding up very well - look at the abuse it takes!! This almost 2000 lb mare has even used the sides of it as a step ladder!!

When we catch this horse in the hay feeder, we yell at her and chase her out of it. So now she knows as soon as she sees or hears us... she better get her butt out!!! LOL

Horses are so much like kids some days!! :)

Chall
Mar. 7, 2012, 09:12 PM
Aww, she looks so hurt and guilty. "Did I really do bad? Are you still mad at me?" Poor thing. She also looks embarrassed in front of her peers.
Like kids they don't realize when they are being greedy.

But yeah, that's a great feeder, the company should use your video on their web pages.

Cindyg
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:48 PM
Holy cow! That is a great example of durability!!

(I love hay feeder threads.)

GoForAGallop
Mar. 7, 2012, 10:54 PM
I. Laughed. Hysterically.

Every time people say animals don't understand things:

Yeah right!

That big mare knows she's not supposed to be in there. :lol:

Firefilly
Mar. 7, 2012, 11:30 PM
I was standing on the back porch of my house when I filmed this - I zoomed the camera in to see her better. So yeah, I wasn't even near her when I caught her "red handed" :)

runNjump86
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:41 AM
That is awesome!! Watching her big butt scramble up and over that thing was the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Great feeder!

Bluey
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:28 AM
You hurt her feelings, I think.:lol:

I don't know, I would do something else to feed her, where she could not get into things.
That seems a bit dangerous for all there.

KitKat987
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:58 AM
Very cool feeder. I didn't even know those type existed. If I'm ever in the market for a feeder I'll def give one a try!

Bluey
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:11 AM
Very cool feeder. I didn't even know those type existed. If I'm ever in the market for a feeder I'll def give one a try!

No need to give it a try, you already can see it works well and stands to abuse in that video.:lol:

Firefilly
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:22 AM
I don't know, I would do something else to feed her, where she could not get into things.
That seems a bit dangerous for all there.

If I could find something else that would work, that she couldn't get into and yet still be safe, I would love to try it! The thing is, the Duplessis hay huts do not work as the holes or openings for their heads is not large enough for the Belgians. For example, the opening is 14" across - and my gelding's head is 13" across at the widest point (by his eyes). So he'd have to be BANG ON every time to get his thick head in and out. Not to mention my guys don't always "play nice" and I would be afraid of someone getting kicked or bitten without knowing it's coming because they have their head in the box and can't see what's happening on the outside around them.

I will not use any metal type feeders obviously - not with the climbers that I own.

I could just not feed round bales.... but that doesn't work well for me financially either.

ChocoMare
Mar. 8, 2012, 09:53 AM
I love the looks from the other horses like "Mom, didja see that? She's at it again!" :lol:

HPFarmette
Mar. 8, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the chuckle. "Bella...get out!"

Romany
Mar. 8, 2012, 02:13 PM
She's very "whoops - better git going!" as she lugs her big ar*e right through the feeder - too funny.

Are you losing much hay to rain, etc, or are they eating it quick enough that getting wet isn't an issue?

Prospect will be thrilled!

Long Spot
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:30 PM
I needed that laugh today. :lol:

As soon as she heard you she knew the gig was up!

She's a beautiful mare.

hundredacres
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
One question.....all of that mud and your horses are so CLEAN???? What's your secret? My horses are all the same color right now >>> mud. :(

Schatzi09
Mar. 8, 2012, 03:43 PM
I have that same round bale feeder! I love it! But none of mine climb in or on it!

And I agree with hundredacres...... how do you keep them so clean?

Coolcolt
Mar. 8, 2012, 07:51 PM
I have that same round bale feeder! I love it! But none of mine climb in or on it!

And I agree with hundredacres...... how do you keep them so clean?

Easy to keep them clean when there is a diva, two princesses and a wussy gelding - none of them like to be dirty - unless they know that the farrier is on the way

Bravestrom
Mar. 8, 2012, 08:13 PM
Firefilly did send us the video and we are going to put it on the website - an amazing example of who great the feeder is and we love getting her updates of Bella's adventures with the feeder.

Griffyn
Mar. 10, 2012, 05:25 AM
My mare Grace used to be in turnout with one of those metal cow feeder thingys. Patently unsafe. But she would wriggle in some how and lay down to eat. She likes to stay clean and dry and well fed. Bedded down like the princess and the pea sorta fit the bill for her. So glad when that left. I would love to have that, except she would never leave her "mattress"!!